Windows 10: Laptop constantly overheats, could heatsink be the issue?

Discus and support Laptop constantly overheats, could heatsink be the issue? in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I am a retired repair technician, my memory is shot so i dont remember everything, i do remember how to properly clean and install new thermal paste, i... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by xboxhaxorz, Jun 23, 2020.

1. Laptop constantly overheats, could heatsink be the issue?

I am a retired repair technician, my memory is shot so i dont remember everything, i do remember how to properly clean and install new thermal paste, i have done it twice using MX4 and there is really no dust in it either

Sometimes it gets so heated i can feel it near the touchpad, temp monitor shows it regularly in the high 60s and it reaches mid 80s sometimes, its an i7 4712hq processor, it appears to be throttling as well because the FPS in a game i play has dropped from around 25 to 15, sometimes it hits 12 and im on minimal settings

I have a 2nd laptop of the same model that recently died due to charging circuit but it performed a lot better and didnt have cooling issues

:)

xboxhaxorz, Jun 23, 2020

2. Random laptop crashes in games.

thats alright bro, If it does turn out to be an overheating issue, I'll let you take all the credit for suggesting it

FreedomEclipse, Jun 23, 2020
  3. Updating windows 8 to 10 my laptop will overheat or not?

OT: Overheat issue.

Updating windows 8 to 10 my laptop will overheat or not? If will overheat, why?

RendellSibal, Jun 23, 2020
  4. Laptop constantly overheats, could heatsink be the issue?

Samsung laptop boot failure and overheating

I have a Samsung NP550PC7C-S02UK i7 laptop. initial symptom windows starts and spinning dots in endless cycles and fails to boot to windows login. automatic repair also fails to load. The laptop overheats and "pops" and shuts down. I have tried booting from USB and DVD - same failure to boot issue.
    Removed heatsink and fan - clogged so cleaned and replaced thermal paste. The issue still remains.
    removed HDD and loaded in a PC - diskcheck fixed some issues. Put back into laptop and still no boot to login, usb, dvd and auto repair fail and still overheats and cuts out???
    Anyone experienced this type of fault? I suspect either cpu, gpu damage or even mobo? helpful suggestions please

Andy_Sherwoodsolns, Jun 23, 2020
Thema:

Laptop constantly overheats, could heatsink be the issue?

1. Laptop constantly overheats, could heatsink be the issue? - Similar Threads - Laptop constantly overheats

2. Laptop overheats when plugged in...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop overheats when plugged in...: I have a laptop that seems to overheat to a point where it slows down and gets 'jumpy' but this only happens when it is PLUGGED IN. When I unplug it, the computer immediately speeds up takes about 1 minute for everything to run smoothly again.My laptop is a HP ENVY x360...
  3. Laptop constant internet issues

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop constant internet issues: Hi, I recently got this laptop almost a year ago, and throughout this year I have had many problems with the wifi. Discord won't allow me to watch streams without persistent lag that other devices on my wifi connection have no trouble with, YouTube and other video streaming...
  4. Laptop constant internet issues

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop constant internet issues: Hi, I recently got this laptop almost a year ago, and throughout this year I have had many problems with the wifi. Discord won't allow me to watch streams without persistent lag that other devices on my wifi connection have no trouble with, YouTube and other video streaming...
  5. Laptop fan/overheat

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop fan/overheat: I use my laptop a lot and I only use chrome tabs, nothing else, I try to close every background app that is running. Doesent work. My laptop specs are...Processor 11th Gen IntelR CoreTM i5-1135G7 @ 2.40GHz 2.40 GHz Installed RAM 12.0 GB 11.7 GB usable Graphics Intel iRIS...
  6. Laptop fan/overheat

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop fan/overheat: I use my laptop a lot and I only use chrome tabs, nothing else, I try to close every background app that is running. Doesent work. My laptop specs are...Processor 11th Gen IntelR CoreTM i5-1135G7 @ 2.40GHz 2.40 GHz Installed RAM 12.0 GB 11.7 GB usable Graphics Intel iRIS...
  7. Broken Heatsink Clip

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Broken Heatsink Clip: While cleaning & replacing my CPU & Heatsink, one of the clips on the heatsink holder broke. I looked on Newegg & I can get a new holder set, but how do I make sure I get the right one? Do I search my motherboard name (ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0) / the motherboard CPU socket (AM3+)?...
  8. Help with heatsink and thermal paste

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Help with heatsink and thermal paste: I recently noticed my fan was very loud and checked the heatsink the thermal paste needed replacement but I didn’t have any, I cleaned the heatsink but not the cpu and ordered thermal paste it will take 5 days to arrive can I still use my laptop without thermal paste for 5...
  9. better heatsink

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    better heatsink: What would people out there on these forums recommend for a better heatsink/cpu fan for a i7 2600k processor. My temps are sometimes spiking too close to the danger level and it cant be the thermal paste as Ive already checked that and its fine. I cant really afford to spend...
  10. Overheat

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Overheat: I am almost the proud owner on an HP 24g-018 "All in One' PC. I am streaming TV thru it for 8+ hours a day. It at times overheats and shuts down and then it is an absolute P-I-T-A (pain the back pockets) to get started again even after leaving it shutdown for six or more...