Windows 10: Laptop dead. How do I access my OneDrive files in my old harddrive? (Was not synced)

Discus and support Laptop dead. How do I access my OneDrive files in my old harddrive? (Was not synced) in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi Community, I have a huge problem. All of my files from the last 6 months did not sync for an unknown reason. The OneDrive app always showed... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AxelS_469, May 7, 2019.

1. AxelS_469 Win User

Laptop dead. How do I access my OneDrive files in my old harddrive? (Was not synced)

Hi Community,

I have a huge problem.

All of my files from the last 6 months did not sync for an unknown reason. The OneDrive app always showed green, so I did not notice and assumed everything was synced. Now my laptop got a problem; I cannot boot into Windows anymore. How do I get access to my files?

I took out the harddrive from my old computer and plugged it into my new as external drive so that I can access the folder structure. However, I cannot see the files.

I assume the files are under users/...

However, I get an access denied error.

I also cannot change file permissions.

No idea what to do.

Please help as I urgently need the files.

Thank you!!

Axel

Moved from: Office/ OneDrive with Office / Windows 10 / Office 365 Home

:)

AxelS_469, May 7, 2019
  2. Nikhar_K Win User

Files not syncing to OneDrive

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I understand that you are facing issues not syncing properly with OneDrive.

I suggest you to refer the troubleshooting steps in the article
    Fix OneDrive sync problems
    and check if it works for you.

For more information, you can check the article to
    Sync files with the OneDrive sync client in Windows

If you are still facing the issue, I suggest you to get in touch with the OneDrive support team.

Sign in to OneDrive.com from any browser, click the ‘?’ help icon on the top banner of the page and select
    Email OneDrive support. Submit your question and follow the prompts to request support.

Hope it helps.

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Nikhar_K, May 7, 2019
  3. P4-630 Win User
    OneDrive Placeholders are coming back, now called On-Demand Sync

Laptop dead. How do I access my OneDrive files in my old harddrive? (Was not synced) [​IMG]

"At Ignite 2016, Microsoft has just announced that it is bringing Placeholders back to OneDrive on Windows 10. Now, they are not called Placeholders anymore — Microsoft is renaming the feature to “On-Demand Sync” which makes a lot more sense than “Placeholders”.

The company demoed this feature at Microsoft Ignite today, and it works just like it used to previously. As you can see in the screenshot above, the files stored in OneDrive weighed in around 9GB, but the actual size on disk was only around 3MB which is really neat. Of course, this feature isn’t anything new as it was available back in the Windows 8 days. However, Microsoft removed the feature with Windows 10, and after lots of waiting, they are finally coming back.

In case you are not familiar with OneDrive Placeholders, it’s a pretty neat feature which lets you see all of your OneDrive files on your computer — but they are not actually downloaded on your PC. When you open them, OneDrive will download the files on-demand, saving your local space which is really useful, especially if you have a PC that doesn’t have a lot of storage.

While Microsoft didn’t announce when exactly On-Demand Sync will be available to OneDrive users, we suspect it will be available with Windows 10 Redstone 2 — which is expected to arrive early next year.
    "

https://mspoweruser.com/onedrive-placeholders-coming-back-now-called-demand-sync/

P4-630, May 7, 2019
  4. Brink Win User

Laptop dead. How do I access my OneDrive files in my old harddrive? (Was not synced)

OneDrive sync now supports IRM protected SharePoint document libraries

Source: OneDrive sync on Windows now supports IRM protected SharePoint document libraries - Microsoft Tech Community

Brink, May 7, 2019
Thema:

1. Laptop dead. How do I access my OneDrive files in my old harddrive? (Was not synced) - Similar Threads - Laptop dead access

2. How do I undo OneDrive from syncing all my files?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How do I undo OneDrive from syncing all my files?: I recently restarted my PC and Windows gave me a setup wizard with a few options, like enabling the default Edge browser settings, etc. Well, one thing it offered was for OneDrive to sync all your files. Literally the whole Documents folder, the whole Pictures folder,...
  3. How do I undo OneDrive from syncing all my files?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I undo OneDrive from syncing all my files?: I recently restarted my PC and Windows gave me a setup wizard with a few options, like enabling the default Edge browser settings, etc. Well, one thing it offered was for OneDrive to sync all your files. Literally the whole Documents folder, the whole Pictures folder,...
  4. How do I Sync my files to OneDrive?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I Sync my files to OneDrive?: How do I "Sync" my files to OneDrive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-sync-my-files-to-onedrive/614fd7f7-4bc2-41c5-a2a7-f9e89919c065
  5. How do I Sync my files to OneDrive?

How do I Sync my files to OneDrive?: How do I "Sync" my files to OneDrive? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-sync-my-files-to-onedrive/614fd7f7-4bc2-41c5-a2a7-f9e89919c065
  6. Laptop destroyed in flood, how do I access my files stored in OneDrive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop destroyed in flood, how do I access my files stored in OneDrive: I believe that my files were being sync-ed to the "cloud" = OneDrive.I can't see them there only some old docs from my de-commissioned laptop from a few years ago.How do I locate them?There were lots as I was kept being asked on the device HP Pavilion to buy more OneDrive...
  7. Laptop destroyed in flood, how do I access my files stored in OneDrive

Laptop destroyed in flood, how do I access my files stored in OneDrive: I believe that my files were being sync-ed to the "cloud" = OneDrive.I can't see them there only some old docs from my de-commissioned laptop from a few years ago.How do I locate them?There were lots as I was kept being asked on the device HP Pavilion to buy more OneDrive...
  8. Onedrive: How do I *not* sync a laptop folder

Onedrive: How do I *not* sync a laptop folder: I'm having a great deal of difficulty with this, so maybe someone can explain how this is supposed to work: I'm having a horrible time trying to get Onedrive *not* to sync every folder on my laptop to the cloud. Basically, I don't want every file that I download to...
  9. How do I disable my Harddrive D: on my Laptop?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How do I disable my Harddrive D: on my Laptop?: My drive is broken and it is a pain in the *** to install documents/apps whatever that were installed before because my laptop recognized it's there but I can't do anything with it. I just want to disable it so I can continue with my external ssd... Disk managament also...
  10. OneDrive deleted harddrive files during sync/backup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    OneDrive deleted harddrive files during sync/backup: Hi, I wanted to backup my personal laptop files and decided to use my work 365 OneDrive account as had 1TB space availble. So I connected to this account and said backup bit it gave me no choice to select folders and onedrive locations and started uploading and combining...