Windows 10: Laptop dies without power supply even tho battery says it has charge

Discus and support Laptop dies without power supply even tho battery says it has charge in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; [img] My laptop (HP 15 Notebook PC) won't boot unless it is plugged in even though the battery apparently has charge. (It won't charge past 73% also?)... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by JosephCook, Oct 27, 2016.

1. Laptop dies without power supply even tho battery says it has charge

Laptop dies without power supply even tho battery says it has charge [​IMG]
    My laptop (HP 15 Notebook PC) won't boot unless it is plugged in even though the battery apparently has charge. (It won't charge past 73% also?) If I unplug the power supply it will die instantly. This started happening yesterday after I installed the latest windows 10 update and I just wanted to see if It is software thing before I go and buy a new battery, any help appreciated thanks.

:)

JosephCook, Oct 27, 2016
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Plugged In, Not Charging

Sometimes depending on your Windows 10 Build, your battery will not charge to 100%, this extends the life of your battery . . . plug out the laptop, drain the battery for 10 - 15 minutes, plug it back in and see if it starts to charge the battery

If however, your battery is not charging at all in Windows 10, follow these steps to rectify this issue:

• Disconnect Power Supply
    • Remove battery
    • Connect Power Supply
    • Turn on the laptop
    • Control Panel - Device Manager
    • Under the Batteries category, right-click all instances of Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery , and Uninstall
    • Shutdown
    • Disconnect Power Supply
    • Insert battery
    • Connect Power Supply
    • Turn on the laptop

I Hope this Answers your Question!

DaveM121, Oct 27, 2016
  3. X6 wont turn on

I tried a friends battery in my phone and it worked so i went and brought a new battery, i fully charged it and it worked fine but it died on a night out. i charged it when i went home and it was charging after a few minutes i switched it on and went to
    send a txt and it died again and wouldnt continue charging even tho it was still plugged in..i tried to switch it on again and it just vibrated and stayed black..now its back to square one no matter how long i leave it plugged in it shows no signs of power
    at all...i tried to do the hard reset but it just stay dead

christypreston, Oct 27, 2016
  4. spunk Win User

Laptop dies without power supply even tho battery says it has charge

This means the battery needs to be replaced. You can get another one from Ebay, just type in your make and model# computer with the word Battery,

spunk, Oct 28, 2016
  5. bro67 Win User
    There is actually a bug with the HP and other laptop battery packs that are not reporting the charge info correctly. The bug came out shortly after 8.1 when they were finishing up the polish on 10 came out as an RTM. You will find tons of posts from HP users about this, along with Youtube videos. It is because of ACPI and the battery driver got messed up when Microsoft uses their default drivers.

bro67, Oct 28, 2016
  6. bro67 Win User
    Check HP's Support forums on this if HP put up a link for the new ACPI and Power/Battery control drivers for your laptop. When you post the model, you need to post the whole model series that is on the sticker on the bottom, not just the first two. That is because when HP sells to say Best Buy, Costco, Walmart, different countries. The first two digits or alpha will be the same, but the important part is what is after that, along with the model type if they have it under one, because like model series numbers, there are also model designs that can use the same model series numbers.

bro67, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Laptop dies without power supply even tho battery says it has charge

1. Laptop dies without power supply even tho battery says it has charge - Similar Threads - Laptop dies without

2. the battery and charging is fine but even though my laptop is fully charged it, the battery...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    the battery and charging is fine but even though my laptop is fully charged it, the battery...: on my windows 11, the charging light keeps showing red, even though i had this problem a 5 weeks ago, last week on a day it showed blue, then it is back to red even though its fully charged. The charging is still working but what is wrong with my laptop? Here is what it...
  3. the battery and charging is fine but even though my laptop is fully charged it, the battery...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    the battery and charging is fine but even though my laptop is fully charged it, the battery...: on my windows 11, the charging light keeps showing red, even though i had this problem a 5 weeks ago, last week on a day it showed blue, then it is back to red even though its fully charged. The charging is still working but what is wrong with my laptop? Here is what it...
  4. Computer wont stay on even after changing the battery and power supply

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer wont stay on even after changing the battery and power supply: So, my hp probook was working fine until this last time i used it. It was sitting for a couple months cuz i've been using my desktop more.It was in a laptop bag so it wasnt exposed to anything hazardous. The first time i used it after so long, it actually loaded up no...
  5. Computer wont stay on even after changing the battery and power supply

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer wont stay on even after changing the battery and power supply: So, my hp probook was working fine until this last time i used it. It was sitting for a couple months cuz i've been using my desktop more.It was in a laptop bag so it wasnt exposed to anything hazardous. The first time i used it after so long, it actually loaded up no...
  6. Computer wont stay on even after changing the battery and power supply

7. Battery not charging only works in AC power even battery is zero

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Battery not charging only works in AC power even battery is zero: My laptop is msi Bravo 15. I know about the msi dragon center's charging modes this is not about that. My laptops battery is not charging . It is initially at 44% when I know about this issue. When I connect the adaptor the laptop doesn't use the battery it automatically use...
  8. Battery not charging only works in AC power even battery is zero

Battery not charging only works in AC power even battery is zero: My laptop is msi Bravo 15. I know about the msi dragon center's charging modes this is not about that. My laptops battery is not charging . It is initially at 44% when I know about this issue. When I connect the adaptor the laptop doesn't use the battery it automatically use...
  9. Laptop is using battery power even when it is plugged in and fully charged.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop is using battery power even when it is plugged in and fully charged.: Hi guys, couple of months ago i bought a new gaming laptop that have a GTX1050 4gb graphic. But now a days I noticed that when i play heavy games like GTA V, Far cry 5, Resident evil 3 etc. my laptop is using battery power even I plugged in. When i do less power demanding...
  10. Windows is saying there is not enough power to supply to this device even though it is a...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows is saying there is not enough power to supply to this device even though it is a...: The title really says it all windows is saying there isn't enough power to power something that is externally powered. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-is-saying-there-is-not-enough-power-to/2b40012e-fe4e-4058-ad03-d9ed309044bc