Windows 10: Laptop disconnecting from wifi, only when "extender" is connected

Discus and support Laptop disconnecting from wifi, only when "extender" is connected in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have one laptop (HP) that won't stay connected to wifi. It worked yesterday until I installed a new router/modem. All other devices unaffected.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by flayer6, Dec 8, 2020.

1. flayer6 Win User

Laptop disconnecting from wifi, only when "extender" is connected

I have one laptop (HP) that won't stay connected to wifi. It worked yesterday until I installed a new router/modem. All other devices unaffected. Here's my new setup:
    New Arris SBG7400AC2 router/modem connected by coax. 2.4 and 5 have channel auto. SSIDs: Work, Work5G
    DHCP range: 192.168.0.2-192.168.0.249
    IP (gateway): 192.168.0.1 255.255.255.0

Older Netgear C6300 connected to Arris (wired). Turned off Use Gateway as DHCP Server
    2.4 channel is auto and 5 is set to 157. SSIDs: Amp, Amp.5G
    IP: 192.168.0.250 255.255.255.0

HP IP currently 192.168.0.4 (obtained auto)

With all equipment, I can ping both IPs successfully. With HP, I can ping .250 successfully, every time. I fail 3or4 out of 4 times (request timed out) when pinging .1, with HP.

I was thinking, must be internal NIC or settings on HP. So, I tried ipconfig release, renew, flushdns, various netsh commands (i i r r, winsock reset, etc.), making sure computer can't power down wifi, made sure on private network, forget network, turned on connect automatically (to each SSID individually, one at a time), lowered roam to Medium-low (so wifi wouldn't try to bounce from one SSID to another), turned off Hotspot 2.0 networks, set obtain DNS automatically and tried using Google's DNS (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4) and the list goes on. Ran windows network diagnostics. Performed Network reset. Uninstalled, reinstalled, and rolled back drivers. Even ran AVG full/deep scan. Rebooted after each step.

I've unplugged, waited 30 seconds, plugged in both Arris and Netgear. I went to Spectrum web site and did a reset that way.

Here's the kicker; the HP is fine, if I disconnect power from Netgear! I can connect to Work or Work5G and browse away like nothing is ever wrong. With HP, I can ping .250 successfully, every time AND I can ping .1, with HP successfully every time.

As soon as the Netgear is powered up, the HP connects, allows me to browse slowly for about 1 minute, then I get server not found errors, can't reach this page, etc. using Chrome, Edge and Firefox.

All other devices use the Amp or Amp.5G to connect, as they had in the past, so I never had to reconfigure any other devices.

I'm at my wit's end. Any help, suggestions or configs you can suggest, would be much appreciated. The HP has no Ethernet port, so a wired connection isn't possible.

:)

flayer6, Dec 8, 2020
  2. MEB19 Win User

laptop will not connect to wifi extender

my room is far from the wifi so I got an internet extender but my laptop wont connect to it ...

but when am near the wifi ( not the extender ) it connects .. what should i do ?

MEB19, Dec 8, 2020
  3. Anak Win User
    my son laptiop wifi disconnect after 5 minutes

• If you have an identical laptop try comparing the wifi and security settings of the one that does not disconnect with the one that does. If you find any differences change the settings of the one that does not work to the one that does.
    @Samuria : If you have any suggestions please reply.

Anak, Dec 8, 2020
  4. Laptop disconnecting from wifi, only when "extender" is connected

connecting to my wifi extender

I cannot connect to my wifi extender (netgear) from my laptop. I have Windows 10 installed. I can connect with all other devices (cell phones).

I can connect to my modem/router but when trying to connect to the extender it says "internet not available". Any suggestions or has this nothing to do with Microsoft products?

DianeAdamick, Dec 8, 2020
Thema:

Laptop disconnecting from wifi, only when "extender" is connected

1. Laptop disconnecting from wifi, only when "extender" is connected - Similar Threads - Laptop disconnecting wifi

2. Laptop keeps disconnecting from wifi

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop keeps disconnecting from wifi: I have a new Laptop that have Wifi 6 adapter and disconnects from the wifi every 5-10 mins. Any resolutions ypu can provide? I already updated the wifi driver, uninstalled and reinstalled network adapter, Done Network reset, reboot and reset the router....
  3. Wifi frequently disconnects from laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wifi frequently disconnects from laptop: Wifi frequently disconnects from my laptop after being idle for a few minutes and also when sleeping. I tried to change the power management settings for the network adapter but there is no such tab listed. This seems to be a widespread issue for which I've read through...
  4. Laptop randomly disconnects from wifi

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Laptop randomly disconnects from wifi: I have searched the internet thick and thin to find a solution, without luck.After i moved to a new house, almost 1 year ago, my laptop would randomly disconnects from the 5G wifi. Connecting to the 2.4G wifi would solve this issue, but its painfully slow, that i would rather...
  5. Laptop keeps disconnecting from wifi, only when "extender" is connected

Laptop keeps disconnecting from wifi, only when "extender" is connected: I have one laptop HP that won't stay connected to wifi. It worked yesterday until I installed a new router/modem. All other devices unaffected. Here's my new setup: New Arris SBG7400AC2 router/modem connected by coax. 2.4 and 5 have channel auto. SSIDs: Work, Work5G...
  6. Wifi disconnecting from laptop

Wifi disconnecting from laptop: My laptop keeps disconnecting from my wifi since it was updated to Windows 10, I never had this issue before and I have changed my wifi router but it is still the same?...
  7. Laptop Constantly Disconnects From WiFi

Laptop Constantly Disconnects From WiFi: Out of nowhere, my laptop is disconnecting from wifi about every 10 minutes. The only way to fix the problem is to run the network troubleshooter. No other wifi devices in my home are experiencing this problem. When I connect the laptop via Ethernet cable, I have zero...
  8. Laptop won't connect to wifi/router - but will connect to wifi extender

Laptop won't connect to wifi/router - but will connect to wifi extender: Hi All. The following has happened before, and then if fixed it's self, but started happening again 3-4 days ago and is still an issue. I'm about 20-25 feet from the router, Normally it connects no problem. But since Monday afternoon my laptop won't connect to the...
  9. When VPN Connects, WiFi Disconnects

When VPN Connects, WiFi Disconnects: Thank you for taking a look at my thread.. This has never been an issue that I am aware of.... but... when I connect my VPN my wifi seems to disconnect. When I disconnect VPN the Wifi resumes. My settings haven't changed and its always been fine. Now I see that if I enter...
  10. Connected to WiFi, disconnected from internet - Laptop Only

Connected to WiFi, disconnected from internet - Laptop Only: Hi, Frequently, my laptop will be connected to the WiFi, however, the connection to the internet will drop. My laptop will show as being connected to the WiFi but will say "Connected, No Internet", my phone will remain connected to the WiFi and the internet will work...