Windows 10: laptop display can't increase brightness -- very dim. But display driver can power external...

Discus and support laptop display can't increase brightness -- very dim. But display driver can power external... in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have a new Lenovo laptop purchased for my wife for Christmas 2019 and in the past week the screen went so dim that you only can see the white boxes... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by DEBRAHAUPT1, May 8, 2020.

1. laptop display can't increase brightness -- very dim. But display driver can power external...

I have a new Lenovo laptop purchased for my wife for Christmas 2019 and in the past week the screen went so dim that you only can see the white boxes for login. The HDMI port sends, so I can use an external monitor. It only as AMD Radeon R5 TM Graphics, so I assume that equates to the Intel HD GRaphics card in my work PC, as opposed to the NVIDIA Quadro.

I've uninstalled/reinstalled the driver, checked for update none are available on Microsoft.com and did the trick of holding down F12 while booting.The event viewing says that the driver wouldn't start, but it says that the device is working properly. What causes this issue, how do I fix it, and how do I prevent it from happening again?

Eric Haupt, for Debra

:)

DEBRAHAUPT1, May 8, 2020
  2. SteveB_85 Win User

Display dims on battery power

No problem!

If you go back to the Edit Plan Settings page and click on 'Change advanced power settings', then scroll down in the advanced settings box to Display. In the Display settings there is 'Dimmed display brightness' and 'Enable adaptive brightness', try turning
    adaptive brightness off if enabled and also increasing the dimmed brightness level.

Please let me know if that makes any difference.

SteveB_85, May 8, 2020
  3. MikeQpmz Win User
    Laptop display dim, but only on battery

After upgrade to W10 from 8.1, Laptop display is dim, but only when I boot up on battery power. Samsung NP470R5E with Intel HD Graphics 4000

When plugged in, the display has normal brightness.

If I disconnect the power it stays bright.

If I shutdown and restart on battery, the display is dim and cannot be brightened with the function keys.

When I go into settings, all display indicators falsely report 100% brightness.

If I connect mains power after starting on battery, the display remains dim.

All display and monitor drivers have been reviewed and are up to date.

All monitor and display drivers have been uninstalled and reinstalled.

All battery power saving setting have been reviewed. Everything reset to maximum performance.

All display and monitor settings have been reviewed, including advanced settings, and set to maximum performance/100% brightness, etc.

Multiple other combinations of settings tested for battery and display.

sfc/scannow did not find any "integrity violations"

Display remained dim after restart on battery in all tested combinations of settings

MikeQpmz, May 8, 2020
  4. laptop display can't increase brightness -- very dim. But display driver can power external...

Display dims on battery power

No matter how many settings I tweak, I cannot get the display on my laptop to remain bright if I unplug it. It dims to an unacceptable level Any suggestions on how to fix this would be welcomed. Thanks

SteveLoudon, May 8, 2020
Thema:

laptop display can't increase brightness -- very dim. But display driver can power external...

1. laptop display can't increase brightness -- very dim. But display driver can power external... - Similar Threads - laptop display can't

2. What can i do to increase the brightness of my laptop . It is still dim despite increasing...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What can i do to increase the brightness of my laptop . It is still dim despite increasing...: What can i do to increase the brightness of my laptop . It is still dim despite increasing it to the fullest https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-can-i-do-to-increase-the-brightness-of-my/56179b35-9082-49f0-96a6-f5715634068a
  3. What can i do to increase the brightness of my laptop . It is still dim despite increasing...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What can i do to increase the brightness of my laptop . It is still dim despite increasing...: What can i do to increase the brightness of my laptop . It is still dim despite increasing it to the fullest https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-can-i-do-to-increase-the-brightness-of-my/56179b35-9082-49f0-96a6-f5715634068a
  4. What can i do to increase the brightness of my laptop . It is still dim despite increasing...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Display Dim, can not adjust.

Display Dim, can not adjust.: I have been having an issue with my display for a few days. The display has been dim and can not adjust it. I have googled it and found a few options but none work. My drivers were already updated. I went to power options - change power plan - advanced power settings -...
  6. display is dim even at max brightness

in Windows 10 Customization
    display is dim even at max brightness: My screen seems too dark even at max brightness. I've tried calibrating the HD display in colors settings and that doesn't work either. Any ideas how i can make it brighter?...
  7. Can't connect to external display due to display driver error

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't connect to external display due to display driver error: submitted by /u/soumyaranjanmahunt [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/fbibi4/cant_connect_to_external_display_due_to_display/
  8. Display dims on battery power

Display dims on battery power: No matter how many settings I tweak, I cannot get the display on my laptop to remain bright if I unplug it. It dims to an unacceptable level Any suggestions on how to fix this would be welcomed. Thanks...
  9. Screen display is very dim

in Windows 10 Customization
    Screen display is very dim: A few days ago, I recently received delivery of an Alienware 15 R4 laptop from the Microsoft Store. Just today the screen intermittently would go dim. Now, ever after a fresh reboot, the screen stays dim. It is very difficult to use the laptop with such a dim screen....
  10. Add or Remove Dimmed display brightness from Power Options in Windows

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Add or Remove Dimmed display brightness from Power Options in Windows: How to: Add or Remove Dimmed display brightness from Power Options in Windows How to Add or Remove "Dimmed display brightness" from Power Options in Windows The dim display after idle timeout has been reached. This setting applies only to portable computers (ex: laptop...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to change brightness of display for battery vs plugged in win 10