Windows 10: Laptop display goes off but computer still running

Discus and support Laptop display goes off but computer still running in Windows 10 Graphic Cards to solve the problem; Hello I hope somebody here can help me with my problem. The display on my laptop sometimes disappears but the computer is still running. It only opens... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Graphic Cards' started by Sam Tether, Apr 15, 2020.

1. Laptop display goes off but computer still running

Hello

I hope somebody here can help me with my problem.
    The display on my laptop sometimes disappears but the computer is still running. It only opens when I have been away and never when I'm actually using it. I can see that the computer is still on because the power lights are still on and the fan is still spinning. There are days that it doesn't happen and other days it can happen three or four times. I have to hold down the power button and restart which probably isn't good for my laptop.
    My laptop is always plugged in and my power plan, shown in the image, is set to go off after 30 minutes.
    Laptop display goes off but computer still running [​IMG]

I'm grateful for any advice.
    Thanks.

:)

Sam Tether, Apr 15, 2020
  2. Jetster Win User

Laptop display question

Confusing statement! You want to change the display on your laptop that died?

Is that correct?

How do you know its the display that's bad?

Just google "how to change display on a acer 5745"

Should get you to step by step instructions. But first make sure its the display that's bad

Jetster, Apr 15, 2020
  3. Laptop display does not detect itself

Hi,

In regards to your concern, since the second screen can't detect the display settings of your other laptop, we suggest that you perform the steps below and see if it helps:

• Go to Settings.
    • Click on System.
    • Under System, choose Display.
    • Under Multiple displays, click on Duplicate these displays and apply.
    Let us know the details so we could further help.

Acelyn Alc, Apr 15, 2020
  4. n1trox Win User

Laptop display goes off but computer still running

Laptop display does not detect itself

Hi,

I only have 1 computer (the laptop) and 1 external monitor. The laptop cannot detect its own screen.

So when I follow your steps, this is what happens:

• Go to Settings. (Done)
    • Click on System. (Done)
    • Under System, choose Display. (Done)
    • Under Multiple displays, click on Duplicate these displays and apply. (Done)
    • But then I undock my laptop and redock. Re-login, etc.
    • Only the external display turns on. The laptop does not turn on its own display. In order to get the laptop display to wake up, I need to follow steps 1-4 again. The settign "Duplicate these displays" does not seem to be retained.

n1trox, Apr 15, 2020
Thema:

Laptop display goes off but computer still running

1. Laptop display goes off but computer still running - Similar Threads - Laptop display goes

2. Screen goes black but still running

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Screen goes black but still running: So I made a mistake. I wanted to delete the key licenses to my Adobe account because my new apps kept signing in automatically to the old key license, which I have stopped paying the bills for. I mistakenly deleted the CLSID folder, instead of supposedly just certain files...
  3. Screen goes black but still running

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Screen goes black but still running: So I made a mistake. I wanted to delete the key licenses to my Adobe account because my new apps kept signing in automatically to the old key license, which I have stopped paying the bills for. I mistakenly deleted the CLSID folder, instead of supposedly just certain files...
  4. Display randomly goes off and back on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Display randomly goes off and back on: Hello. I have an issue with my pc the last two weeks. My tv signal turns black randomly. Sometimes is getting back itself after some seconds, sometimes i have to press a key on my keyboard in order to do so.. I set my power management option for display off after some time...
  5. Display randomly goes off and back on

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Display randomly goes off and back on: Hello. I have an issue with my pc the last two weeks. My tv signal turns black randomly. Sometimes is getting back itself after some seconds, sometimes i have to press a key on my keyboard in order to do so.. I set my power management option for display off after some time...
  6. Display randomly goes off and back on

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Computer goes off and on

Computer goes off and on: My computer is 2 years old was working just fine up until 2 days ago when the blue screen came up and said that there was information being gathered and that my computer would be restarted.I came back the next day and turned it on Again I got the blue screen that wouldn't...
  8. computer screen goes black but computer still running windows 10

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    computer screen goes black but computer still running windows 10: I am using HP Pavilion 15 Notebook PC, with windows 10 single language 64 bit Operating System, with 8 GB RAM. I am facing TWO major issues: After leaving the system idle for more then an hour, the computer screen goes black but computer still running windows 10, and it...
  9. Windows Hello locks the computer when the display goes off

in Windows 10 Customization
    Windows Hello locks the computer when the display goes off: I just bought a new laptop and as always configure the power plan so the SCREEN ONLY turns off after 1 minute. However since this laptop has a fingerprint sensor and I enrolled a fingerprint, it locks the computer so i have to provide the password/pin/fingerprint after 1...
  10. running processes suspended when display goes off

running processes suspended when display goes off: I have this annoying behaviour, where very often, running processes are suspended when the display goes off, either after the timout set in Power options, or intentionally with the 'nircmd.exe' utility (I miss a native Windows command to turn off the display manually). This...