Windows 10: Laptop display issues since Windows 10 1903 update - can't adjust brightness on battery power

Discus and support Laptop display issues since Windows 10 1903 update - can't adjust brightness on battery power in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; Hi I've recently gone through the 1903 update, and found that although most things are as they were or can be tweaked back to how they were, I now... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by TheDaveHyde, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Laptop display issues since Windows 10 1903 update - can't adjust brightness on battery power

Hi

I've recently gone through the 1903 update, and found that although most things are as they were or can be tweaked back to how they were, I now have an issue with display brightness on my Toshiba laptop

When I initially switch on in the morning, be it using battery power or connected to the charger, my screen is nice and bright showing as 100 in display settings, but after I've shut the lid and hibernated for a while, and then open the lid, it only stays on full brightness whilst plugged in. On battery power, it is dark, very dark - in fact, although the level shows as 100 still, it's actually the same as 0 when plugged in!

I've searched many places, and not found a solution yet. Most issues that are related seem to be people who want a different level of brightness when on battery - I want it to stay the same! Apparently there used to be two sliders for brightness, one under "on battery" and one under "plugged in" in "change settings for plan" in "Power options". My drivers are up to date.

Also, just double checking that I have the right Power Plan selected to test what I've typed in the previous paragraph, and changed from "High Performance" to "Balanced". No extra options in the latter, so changed back - or tried to, as "High Performance" is now missing!

This first happened yesterday. I tried rebooting and the battery brightness was restored

If anyone has any advice on how to sort this I'd be very grateful. I don't want to have to resort to keeping my laptop permanently plugged in or rebooting on a regular basis.

:)

TheDaveHyde, Jan 24, 2020
  2. Mala_S Win User

1903 - Broke On Battery Brightness Adjustment!

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

In 1903, the display brightness behavior is modified. If a person adjusts their display brightness, that brightness will now be remembered as their preferred brightness whether they are on battery or connected to a charger. This new behavior
    results in a more consistent and battery friendly experience. This does not affect battery saver mode settings; if a person has opted into lowering the screen brightness in battery saver mode, their display will still dim when the battery is below the threshold
    selected.

Meanwhile, you may try with the steps listed below and see if it works:

Method 1

I would suggest you to update display drivers from the Device Manager. To do that:

• Right click on the Start menu and click on
      Device Manager.
    • Narrow down to Display adapters and expand it.
    • Right click on the driver and select
      Update driver.

Here’s an article for your reference: Update drivers in Windows 10

If that doesn’t help, try method 2.

Method 2

Let’s try with the registry settings and see if it helps. To do that,

• Press Windows + R keys and type
      regedit.exe
      in the text box to start Registry Editor.
    • Narrow down to the following location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SYSTEM/ControlSet001/Control/Class/ 4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318 /0000
    • Double-click on the item of FeatureTestControl, set the
      hexadecimal value to fb20, and click OK.
    • Restart your machine.

Disclaimer: Normally, software programs make registry changes automatically. You should not make unnecessary changes to the registry. Changing registry files incorrectly can cause Windows to stop working or make
    Windows report the wrong information. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs.

However, if the issue persists, I suggest you to post a feedback in the
    Feedback Hub, so that our Developer team can have a look
    into it and include that in the future updates.

Regards,

Mala S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Mala_S, Jan 24, 2020
  3. Cannot adjust display brightness in Windows 10

Hi,

I understand the inconvenience you are facing in Windows. We will help you.

What is the make and model of your PC?

Let’s try with some steps which helps you resolving the issue.

Step 1: I suggest you to update the Display drivers
    and check if it helps you.

Refer:
    Uninstall and Reinstall the graphics card drivers

If that doesn't help uninstall and reinstall latest graphic driver from manufacturer's website.

Note: Update all the drivers and also install all the pending updates and check.

Step 2: After installing and Updating refer the below steps to check how to automatically adjust the brightness.

• Press Windows + I keys and select System.
    • Select Display and check the Adjust brightness automatically
    • Restart the machine.
    Keep us informed if the issue is resolved. We are glad to help you further.

Sachin Venkatesh, Jan 24, 2020
  4. Laptop display issues since Windows 10 1903 update - can't adjust brightness on battery power

Can't adjust Display brightness

Hi Lokesh,

Thank you for your interest in Windows 10.

We understand that, you face issues with display brightness dysfunctional on Windows 10 and I'd be certainly help you.

For a better clarity of your issue, please answer these queries below:

• What is the make and model of the computer?

• What is the make and model of the keyboard?
    This issue could have occurred due to these reasons.

1. Incorrect settings.

2. Corrupt or outdated display and keyboard drivers.

Please refer to the article, created by Akheel Ahmed replied on October 28, 2015, to fix your issue with Display brightness dysfunctional on Windows 10.

Brightness Adjustment

Also refer to the Microsoft article link below and check, if it helps.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/adjust-monitor-brightness-contrast#1TC=windows-10

I suggest you to update the keypad drivers from the manufacturer's support website and check, if it works.

Please feel free to contact us, if you face any issues with Windows.

Thank you.

AntonyJose, Jan 24, 2020
Thema:

Laptop display issues since Windows 10 1903 update - can't adjust brightness on battery power

1. Laptop display issues since Windows 10 1903 update - can't adjust brightness on battery power - Similar Threads - Laptop display issues

2. Can't adjust brightness on laptop

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't adjust brightness on laptop: I tried adjusting the slider, but it's faded and won't work. The brightness keys don't work either, and now the brightness slider has disappeared for some reason. Does anyone know what I can do? So far, I've tried updating my graphics driver, but that didn't work. submitted...
  3. Can't adjust the brightness on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    Can't adjust the brightness on Windows 10: I can't find where to change the brightness, I don't see it in settings or notifications. I am on a PC dekstop. I updated everything: the driver, the display apdators and the monitors from the device manager and still yet I can't change the brightness. I used to be able too,...
  4. Can't adjust brightness of my laptop

Can't adjust brightness of my laptop: Can't adjust brightness of my screen in windows 10 after update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-adjust-brightness-of-my-laptop/b4be13cd-47c3-42fd-95a9-5463c6cec0ad
  5. Can't adjust brightness of my laptop

Can't adjust brightness of my laptop: I can't adjust brightness of my screen in windows 10 after update https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-adjust-brightness-of-my-laptop/3f079140-a4d1-4d22-aca8-f0bc31a305fe
  6. Can't adjust brightness of my laptop

Can't adjust brightness of my laptop: Recent update spoil my brightness of my laptop in windows 10 please help https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-adjust-brightness-of-my-laptop/1b59d35f-61ed-4ea6-901c-710503216598
  7. 1903 - Broke On Battery Brightness Adjustment (missing sliders)

in Windows 10 Support
    1903 - Broke On Battery Brightness Adjustment (missing sliders): Got 1903 installed and now missing both of those sliders [img] g Image I can still adjust brightness for Plugged In mode in the notifications menu and general brightness menu, but there is no way to set it for the Battery mode, when the notebook is unplugged. Worked fine...
  8. 1903 - Broke On Battery Brightness Adjustment!

1903 - Broke On Battery Brightness Adjustment!: Got 1903 installed and now missing both of those sliders https://www.tenforums.com/attachments/tutorials/69670d1458089843-adjust-screen-brightness-windows-10-a-adust_plan_brightness-2.png I can still adjust brightness for Plugged In mode in the notifications menu and...
  9. Can't adjust brightness on Dell laptop with Windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Can't adjust brightness on Dell laptop with Windows 10: I have a Dell XPS 13 9360 with Windows 10 and recently the brightness stopped adjusting when trying to change it. I've already followed many of the steps recommended. Updating the display drivers doesn't fix it. Using Microsoft Basic Display adapter DOES fix the problem but...
  10. Can't adjust display brightness Windows 10

Can't adjust display brightness Windows 10: I got a new Acer laptop less than a week ago, and installed all of the Windows 10 updates. After that, I found I was no longer able to adjust the screen brightness using the keyboard or anything I can find in Settings. I have read some other threads about how people solved...