Windows 10: laptop display stopped working after plugging external monitor into HDMI port

Discus and support laptop display stopped working after plugging external monitor into HDMI port in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; This has now happened to me many times even after completely re-installing windows 10 from scratch. But this time around it seems permanent. I've also... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by RizPanjwani, May 18, 2020.

1. laptop display stopped working after plugging external monitor into HDMI port

This has now happened to me many times even after completely re-installing windows 10 from scratch. But this time around it seems permanent. I've also tried uninstalling display drivers and monitors. Under Device Manager, monitors now I only see the Generic PnP monitor. When restarting the computer, it makes some weird beeping sounds like old school video games, and the screen remains blank. In order to see anything, I have to connect to the external monitor.

:)

RizPanjwani, May 18, 2020
  2. Gman_640 Win User

'No signal' on external monitor when connected to laptop via HDMI

'No signal' on external monitor when connected to laptop via HDMI

Gman_640, May 18, 2020
  3. 944382 Win User
    Laptop display and monitor will not wake when HDMI cable plugged into laptop.

I have a laptop. Lenovo ideapad FLEX 4-1480 Signature Edition.

The laptop has a display, and the laptop is connected to a monitor via an HDMI cable.

Sleep mode is disabled.

Screen timeout is enabled.

I lock the computer. The laptop display and monitor both eventually deactivate.

I move the mouse and press keys to wake the monitor. Nothing happens on either the laptop display or the monitor.

If the HDMI cable is not plugged into the laptop, the laptop display will wake as intended. The problem happens only when the HDMI cable is plugged into the laptop.

I have to remove the HDMI cable from the laptop, wait a few seconds, reinsert it, then the laptop display and monitor will wake. Again, the laptop display will wake just fine when the HDMI cable is not plugged in.

944382, May 18, 2020
  4. laptop display stopped working after plugging external monitor into HDMI port

HDMI Port Stopped Working

I generally use a second monitor via an HDMI cable while working. However, it stopped working today.

I checked these:

• Windows cannot detect a second monitor when HDMI cable is connected to the second monitor.
    • HDMI cable which I use works if another device is connected to the second monitor.
    • My computer detects my HDMI-to-VGA converter through HDMI port.

My computer runs Windows 10 Home with latest updates installed.

I suspect this is due to a driver error. How can I fix this problem?

yildizabdullah, May 18, 2020
Thema:

laptop display stopped working after plugging external monitor into HDMI port

1. laptop display stopped working after plugging external monitor into HDMI port - Similar Threads - laptop display stopped

2. Windows 11 does not work with Monitor in Display Port, but HDMI ¿?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 does not work with Monitor in Display Port, but HDMI ¿?: I've an Asus Prime Z690 Wifi D4 + Intel I7 12700k processor with Intel Integrated UHD Intel 770 graphic card updated all to latest drivers If I plug it using Hdmi output to a Philips 241b8q monitor and it works very well installed latest drivers But If I plug the computer...
  3. Laptop stopped displaying to external monitor

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Laptop stopped displaying to external monitor: Today I went out after playing some games. When I came back and turned on my laptop that was connected to a monitor, no display came up. I have tried changing out monitors and hdmi cables, reinstalling video drivers, etc. My laptop still detects the monitor and says it is...
  4. monitor works with hdmi but not display port

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    monitor works with hdmi but not display port: recently my monitor (dell u2412h) started glitching with horizontal lines flashing on the screen on and off in a continuos pattern (1 sec off 1 sec on). then one afternoon i restarted my pc and the displayport wasnt working anymore. tried the hdmi cable, and that one worked....
  5. HDMI Port stopped working.

HDMI Port stopped working.: Earlier today there was an update that i did before packing my pc up and taking it back to my house, when i got home i found out my tv wasnt taking the hdmi signal at all. I checked with my gaming consoles and bam the tv lighted up with the games running but my pc won't even...
  6. Unusual HDMI port behavior: One HDMI port stops working after a monitor is unplugged.

Unusual HDMI port behavior: One HDMI port stops working after a monitor is unplugged.: I have 2 HDMI ports, and I can connect two working monitors, and everything works normally and as expected. However, when I unplug the HDMI from one port, and later plug it back in, that HDMI port acts as though it no longer works. The monitor connected to it no longer...
  7. HDMI port doesn't output to external monitor

HDMI port doesn't output to external monitor: I want to output video to an external monitor from my PC, through the HDMI port. However it doesn't work... I checked with other cable and other monitor but same situation. On the other hand, I can output to same monitors from other two computers, so the monitors and the...
  8. BSOD (after plugging in an HDMI external monitor to a lenovo legion laptop and using it for...

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD (after plugging in an HDMI external monitor to a lenovo legion laptop and using it for...: Hello everyone, I have what I believe is a serious issues with my windows laptop here. Often, I get a BSOD (blue screen of death) with an error: VIDEO_DXGKML_FATAL_ERROR, whenever I plug in my external HDMI monitor to my laptop. But I don't get this bsod right away after...
  9. Display port for HDMI not working

in Windows 10 Customization
    Display port for HDMI not working: I cannot get the second monitor to work. It seems there is no output signal from display port for HDMI. I'm wondering if there is some setting that need to be done? (The monitor (HP LA2306x) is working fine with another computer)...
  10. HDMI Port Stopped Working

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    HDMI Port Stopped Working: I generally use a second monitor via an HDMI cable while working. However, it stopped working today. I checked these: Windows cannot detect a second monitor when HDMI cable is connected to the second monitor. HDMI cable which I use works if another device is connected to...