Windows 10: Laptop display turns off and won’t turn back on

Discus and support Laptop display turns off and won’t turn back on in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; If left idle, my laptop’s display will sometimes turn off after which I cannot turn it back on. It doesn’t seem to be sleeping based on the indicator... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Deepak453, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Deepak453 Win User

Laptop display turns off and won’t turn back on

If left idle, my laptop’s display will sometimes turn off after which I cannot turn it back on. It doesn’t seem to be sleeping based on the indicator light on the side, and the only thing I can do is force shut it down by holding the power button.

If I manually close my laptop lid or put it to sleep, however, I can wake it up with no issues. The only fix I have tried so far is updating the device drivers, but that hasn’t solved the problem.

Is there any fix to this problem? My laptop is an Asus F560UD.

:)

Deepak453, Jul 2, 2020
  2. jorog(2) Win User

Display does not turn off when pc is idle

Just did all the suggestions. Did not work. Display does not turn off.

This issue was from the beginning when I downloaded Win 10. I had Win 8.1 and the display always turned off as I set it.

My pc is HP Pavilion Touchsmart 23 all-in-one. According to "checking for updated drivers on display and monitors", I always get the response that the drivers currently installed are the correct ones.

jorog(2), Jul 2, 2020
  3. Laptop screen backlight doesn't turn off

Hi, I recently updated my DELL L502X to Windows 10 from Windows 7. All drivers have been installed and Device Manager shows no problem. However I'm seeing a weird issue. I'm using an external monitor (ASUS) through HDMI. I'm setting the display to show on external monitor only. In Windows 7, everything works fine. After the Windows boot logo disappears, laptop screen turns off and external monitor turns on. In Windows 10, however, there is an issue. After boot logo disappears, external monitor turns on, and laptop screen turns off - but not completely. There is no content anymore but the back light is still on. If I switch the display mode to Duplicate or Extend (just to turn on the laptop screen) and switch back to Second Monitor Only, the laptop screen can turn off completely.

Has anyone seen a problem like this? Both monitors are shown as Generic PnP Monitors in Device Manager. I don't know if this is a driver problem or something related to my laptop. The bottom line is in Windows 7 there is no such a problem.

Any suggestion or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

princerock, Jul 2, 2020
  4. Laptop display turns off and won’t turn back on

Laptop Screen Comes Back On After Turned Off

Hi,

This issue may have been caused by an outdated driver, or due to a software conflict.

We would like to know more about your concern. Kindly provide us more details by answering the following questions:

• When did you start encountering the issue?
    • Have you made any changes on your computer prior to this issue?
    • What do you mean when you say "when I turn off my laptop display"? Does it mean shutting down the computer or putting it to sleep mode?

Meanwhile, to help resolve your concern, you suggest that you run the Power troubleshooter by following the steps provided below:

• On the Start menu, type Troubleshooting, and then hit
      Enter.
    • On the left pane, click View all.
    • Select and run the Power troubleshooter.

You may also configure your Power Options settings by following the steps provided in this
    article.

Should you need further assistance, feel free to get back to us.

Monica Cam, Jul 2, 2020
Thema:

Laptop display turns off and won’t turn back on

1. Laptop display turns off and won’t turn back on - Similar Threads - Laptop display turns

2. Laptop Turned Off Unexpectedly, And Now Won’t Turn On Again

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop Turned Off Unexpectedly, And Now Won’t Turn On Again: As the title states, my laptop shut down unexpectedly, and now will not turn again. I’ve tried many methods to try and turn it back on, however there might still be some I have not tried.I was playing a game on my Acer Nitro 5 MODEL NO.:N20C1 AN515-55-70T8 and right out of...
  3. Laptop Turned Off Unexpectedly, And Now Won’t Turn On Again

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop Turned Off Unexpectedly, And Now Won’t Turn On Again: As the title states, my laptop shut down unexpectedly, and now will not turn again. I’ve tried many methods to try and turn it back on, however there might still be some I have not tried.I was playing a game on my Acer Nitro 5 MODEL NO.:N20C1 AN515-55-70T8 and right out of...
  4. Laptop Turned Off Unexpectedly, And Now Won’t Turn On Again

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Power setting turns display off as set but then it turns right back on

in Windows 10 Support
    Power setting turns display off as set but then it turns right back on: Windows 10 version 20H2 (OS Build 19042.1110) I have a Dell Inspiron 7700 All-in-One computer. I have the power setting set to turn off display in 10 minutes and the put the computer to sleep set to never. After 10 minutes of no activity the screen turns off but then turns...
  6. My computer monitor immediately turns back on after turning off with 'Turn off the display'...

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My computer monitor immediately turns back on after turning off with 'Turn off the display'...: For clarification, I have my display to turn off after ten minutes of inactivity and usually, the monitor would go off and stay off until the mouse was moved or a key pressed. Recently I've noticed that after the ten minutes elapses, the monitor goes to turn off and then...
  7. Laptop won’t turn on

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Laptop won’t turn on: After Windows update I have MS Office 365 Lenovo Yoga laptop, I uploaded MS office app to my ipad and iphone. After changing pass for MS 365, I cannot even log on ti mg laptop. It opens with a logo and a black background/followed by: Username and enter passcode black...
  8. Pc won’t turn off monitor won’t turn on

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Pc won’t turn off monitor won’t turn on: Monitor won’t turn on and computer won’t turn off I have a computer that runs on windows 10, this morning I saw that the computer was still running so I went to turn it off but it wouldn’t stop. I went to turn on the monitor but that wouldn’t turn on. I’ve unplugged the...
  9. Keyboard Locked and Laptop won’t turn back on!!!

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Keyboard Locked and Laptop won’t turn back on!!!: So my cat walked over the keyboard of my laptop and locked it. Trying to unlock them didnt work so I went ti restart as this worked last time she did it. I accidentally clicked ‘shut down’ though and now it wont turn back on. Does anyone have any advice?...
  10. Display turns off at timer for power save, but then turns back on

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Display turns off at timer for power save, but then turns back on: Hi I have set power saving for display to go to sleep after 3 minutes of inactivity when plugged in. And after 3 minutes, display powers off. But then shortly after that it turns back on. And then later off again. I have newer timed this intervals for turning on and second...