Windows 10: Laptop display wont turn on sometimes, until I press ctrl+win+shift+b

Discus and support Laptop display wont turn on sometimes, until I press ctrl+win+shift+b in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Since some days ago my laptop screen has been refusing to turn the main display back on after being turned off. It never turns off abruptly, in other... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by brigzor, Feb 12, 2021.

1. brigzor Win User

Laptop display wont turn on sometimes, until I press ctrl+win+shift+b

Since some days ago my laptop screen has been refusing to turn the main display back on after being turned off.

It never turns off abruptly, in other words it always turns off in intended ways, for example when I leave it idle for 30mins or when I plug it to my monitor, or I just shut down the computer in these situations I want the display to turn off .

The problem is when it comes the time for it to turn back on, and this doesnt happen every time, but it just refuses to turn the display back on no matter how many keys i press. For example I'll unplug my main monitor and then the laptop monitor remains black though every key remains responsive, I can clearly tell the computer is still working I can press space to pause/unpause the video I was watching and the sound gives me feedback that everything is working.

I have found a way to salvage this without continuously forcing shutdowns and restarts until it works and that is by pressing CTRL+WIN+SHIFT+B which produces a beeping sound and after pressing it some times it lags and beeps a lot the display finally comes back on.

The icons on my desktop are scrambled when the display recovers from this.

Now, everytime this happens I check the reliability monitor and it declares multiple instances of hardware error, the timestamp points to the moment I tried to turn the display back on, and not to when it turned off. The reliability log gives no relevant info on which piece of hardware is malfunctioning but the log is this:

Description
    A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
    Code: 1a8
    Parameter 1: 1
    Parameter 2: 0
    Parameter 3: 0
    Parameter 4: 0
    OS version: 10_0_18363
    Service Pack: 0_0
    Product: 256_1
    OS Version: 10.0.18363.2.0.0.256.48
    Locale ID: 1033

I have tried reinstalling my vga drivers to no avail and right now I am considering just to reformat the computer, however I would like to ask if this really looks like an hardware problem or is just some software problem that will be fixed with a full format.

Thanks in advance

:)

brigzor, Feb 12, 2021

2. Update KB4022716 causing black screen after screen timeout [Four Displaylink USB adapters in system]

On my laptop it works just by pressing the "Ctrl + Shift + Win + B" keys. I don't have to turn off the monitor and press the power button.

Jean-Francois Juneau, Feb 12, 2021
  3. CTRL+SHIFT+8 and some others not working

Okay thanks. Didn't know that tool.
    It does list Ctrl+Shift+, 3 & 8. But it doesn't say what they're registered to. (And nothing seems to happen when I press them.)

The tool turns up a very short list, by the way, compared to the screenshots on that site. Just these three plus:
    Hot Key : Alt+Ctrl+Delete
    Hot Key : Alt+Ctrl+J (I know what this is from)
    Hot Key : Alt+Ctrl+K (Kindle)
    Hot Key : Alt+F4

franklekens, Feb 12, 2021
  4. Laptop display wont turn on sometimes, until I press ctrl+win+shift+b

Shift/ctrl key problem.

Hi Jovan,

The issue you're experiencing is probably due to incorrect settings. A Windows Ease of Access feature called
    Filter keys is an accessibility function that tells the keyboard to ignore repeated strokes. When this function is enabled, it ignores whatever key is pressed down or repeatedly pressed. To verify this, follow the steps below:

• Open Control Panel.
    • Click on Ease of Access.
    • Under Ease of Access Center, click on Change how your keyboard works.
    • Under Make it easier to type, click on Set up Filter keys.
    • The Turn on Filter Keys should not be checked, as well as
      Turn on Filter Keys when right SHIFT is pressed for 8 seconds

We also suggest that you play around with the features and check which one works best for you. If the issue persists, let us know.

Patricia Yu, Feb 12, 2021
Thema:

Laptop display wont turn on sometimes, until I press ctrl+win+shift+b

1. Laptop display wont turn on sometimes, until I press ctrl+win+shift+b - Similar Threads - Laptop display wont

2. CTRL SHIFT WIN B graphics card reset causing BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CTRL SHIFT WIN B graphics card reset causing BSOD: Just like the other guy who didn't have a solution for his BSOD. I am getting the same on a specific laptop and this is the only laptop having problems from sleep or hibernate. Graphics slowdown / glitches. Had this laptop replaced already. The first one had even worse...
  3. CTRL SHIFT WIN B graphics card reset causing BSOD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CTRL SHIFT WIN B graphics card reset causing BSOD: Just like the other guy who didn't have a solution for his BSOD. I am getting the same on a specific laptop and this is the only laptop having problems from sleep or hibernate. Graphics slowdown / glitches. Had this laptop replaced already. The first one had even worse...
  4. Everytime I reset graphics card by pressing Windows+Ctrl+Shift+B a BSOD appears. Please help!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Everytime I reset graphics card by pressing Windows+Ctrl+Shift+B a BSOD appears. Please help!: Everytime I reset graphics card by pressing Windows+Ctrl+Shift+B I get a BSOD. I use an ASUS Vivobook 15 OLED running Windows 11 2H22. It keeps bothering me everytime. For following details here is a photo of the error and it's code:...
  5. Everytime I reset graphics card by pressing Windows+Ctrl+Shift+B a BSOD appears. Please help!

Everytime I reset graphics card by pressing Windows+Ctrl+Shift+B a BSOD appears. Please help!: Everytime I reset graphics card by pressing Windows+Ctrl+Shift+B I get a BSOD. I use an ASUS Vivobook 15 OLED running Windows 11 2H22. It keeps bothering me everytime. For following details here is a photo of the error and it's code:...
  6. Windows logs into a black screen, ctrl shift win b, and ctrl alt del won't work

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows logs into a black screen, ctrl shift win b, and ctrl alt del won't work: Currently posting from a phone. Not sure why this happens but when I do ctrl shift win b, it just comes up with "the tablet driver isn't running". I have had lots of problems with the Wacom tablet driver, like errors at startup stuff like that. This is a new one though,...
  7. Windows logs into a black screen, ctrl shift win b, and ctrl alt del won't work

Windows logs into a black screen, ctrl shift win b, and ctrl alt del won't work: Currently posting from a phone. Not sure why this happens but when I do ctrl shift win b, it just comes up with "the tablet driver isn't running". I have had lots of problems with the Wacom tablet driver, like errors at startup stuff like that. This is a new one though,...
  8. Monitor goes black - Windows+Ctrl+Shift+B

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Monitor goes black - Windows+Ctrl+Shift+B: For anyone having a display adapter keep dropping a second monitor and you know it should be there do Windows+Ctrl+Shift+B. That is a shortcut to refresh your display adapters. It will appear to freeze a moment (or go black on all monitors) but it is refreshing the graphic...
  9. Need to press left-ctrl+shift for symbols

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Need to press left-ctrl+shift for symbols: Hey everyone, So I'm Dutch, but I use US language as default. Whenever I log into my laptop with windows 10 and want to type symbols, I for some reason type the wrong symbols (for example " when I want to type @). These symbols are on the same key. When I enter...
  10. Sometimes CTRL+shift+ up/down works and sometimes it doesn't

in Windows 10 Support
    Sometimes CTRL+shift+ up/down works and sometimes it doesn't: using Excel 2016 and sticky keys; do not know if problem is present without sticky keys. Other key shortcuts work fine. This seems to happen after doing a large paste from another spreadsheet. It does not happen every time. 140560

Users found this page by searching for:

1. win ctr alt b until diaplay windows