Windows 10: Laptop does not ask for a password upon waking from sleep/hibernate - security issue

Discus and support Laptop does not ask for a password upon waking from sleep/hibernate - security issue in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi all,My laptop running Windows 10 has stopped asking for a password when it wakes from sleep/hibernate. This is a security issue for me.My... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by TimA123, Jun 2, 2021.

1. TimA123 Win User

Laptop does not ask for a password upon waking from sleep/hibernate - security issue

Hi all,My laptop running Windows 10 has stopped asking for a password when it wakes from sleep/hibernate. This is a security issue for me.My settings:In settings > sign-in options > require sign-in, I have selected the option that says "When PC wakes from sleep". The only other option is "Never".In Power button and lid settings, I have set my computer to hibernate when I close the lidI have tried every combination of screen saver setting possible including checking and unchecking the box On resume, display logon screenNothing seems to work. I contacted Microsoft support and a Windows

:)

TimA123, Jun 2, 2021

2. Hibernation and Sleep not working on my WIndows 10 PC after latest update

Hello,

There are many possible reasons for this hibernation and sleep not working issue. The most common causes are
    corrupted Power settings or outdated display drivers. In order for us to efficiently assist you with your concern regarding the issue of waking up from sleep/hibernation, we just have a few questions for you:

• Have you made any recent changes to your computer prior to the issue?
    • Did you get any error messages upon waking up your computer from hibernation/sleep?
    • Have you also tried performing the power troubleshooter?
    If you still haven't, we suggest trying the steps below:

• Press Windows key + W and type Troubleshooting.
    • Select Troubleshooting and click on System and Security.
    • Click on Power and follow the onscreen steps.

Delete the current power plan and create it again.

We're looking forward to your reply.

Michelle Vil, Jun 2, 2021
  3. DISABLE Windows Password on Hibernate BUT Keep it ON for Wake-up from Sleep

I use the BIOS password instead of Windows Password. But when the PC wakes up from sleep, BIOS password doesn't come into picture.

But if I enable Windows password on "Wake up from Sleep", It enables on Hibernate too (Which I know is a form of sleep).

But I don't want that option. Is there some way to separate the authentication between Sleep and Hibernate?

Or some other work around to this?

ShishirTanwar, Jun 2, 2021
  4. Laptop does not ask for a password upon waking from sleep/hibernate - security issue

Laptop will not wake up from sleep/hibernate

Hi Rosemary,

We have received several reports regarding the difficulty of waking up the computer from sleep mode. You may need to enable the keyboard to wake the computer

from sleep mode. Kindly follow the steps below.

• Press Windows key + X and select Device Manager.
    • Click the arrow next to Keyboards, and then double-click the name of your keyboard.
    • Click the Power management tab. If the Power Management tab is not available, click the
      Change Settings button. The same Keyboard Properties window opens with the
      Power Management tab available.
    • Enter your credentials if asked for a username and password.
    • Select the box next to Allow this device to wake the computer.
    • Click OK.

Let us know how that turned out for you.

Dennis Mop, Jun 2, 2021
Thema:

Laptop does not ask for a password upon waking from sleep/hibernate - security issue

1. Laptop does not ask for a password upon waking from sleep/hibernate - security issue - Similar Threads - Laptop does ask

2. BSOD upon waking up from Hibernate

in Windows 10 Gaming
    BSOD upon waking up from Hibernate: My Lenovo Flex 5 gen 7 running on Windows 11 has been experiencing BSOD with stopcode: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE most if not every time I woke the laptop up from Hibernate. As I got the laptop new it did not face any problem with hibernate provided that it went from sleep...
  3. BSOD upon waking up from Hibernate

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD upon waking up from Hibernate: My Lenovo Flex 5 gen 7 running on Windows 11 has been experiencing BSOD with stopcode: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE most if not every time I woke the laptop up from Hibernate. As I got the laptop new it did not face any problem with hibernate provided that it went from sleep...
  4. Windows 11 Not Asking for Password on Wake from Sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Not Asking for Password on Wake from Sleep: For some reason, even after changing options in GPEdit, the OS refuses to ask me for a password when I wake the computer from sleep without first locking the computer.For context, the user account is a local user account.I tried following the instructions from Claudeeera on...
  5. Windows 11 Not Asking for Password on Wake from Sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Not Asking for Password on Wake from Sleep: For some reason, even after changing options in GPEdit, the OS refuses to ask me for a password when I wake the computer from sleep without first locking the computer.For context, the user account is a local user account.I tried following the instructions from Claudeeera on...
  6. wake from sleep but not hibernation

in Windows 10 Support
    wake from sleep but not hibernation: I have a related problem. I would like to set some task scheduler tasks to wake ONLY from sleep and NOT hibernation when on battery power. Is that possible in win 10? Is it possible that certain BIOSes might allow that to be set? Why I want this: I like hibernation...
  7. BSOD waking from sleep or hibernate

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD waking from sleep or hibernate: Hello! I have BSODs after waking my computer up. Windows 10 upgraded from Windows 8.1. Waking from hibernate generates Kernel_Security_Check_Failure. Waking from sleep generates mostly IRQ NOT EQUAL. Could you please help? Thanks! 41620
  8. BSOD upon waking from sleep

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD upon waking from sleep: Attachment 133661 A new laptop with Windows 10 freezing when waking from sleep. BSOD: irql not less or equal. Please help.. Thank you very much! 83616
  9. Sleep/Hibernation wake-up issue

in Windows 10 Support
    Sleep/Hibernation wake-up issue: Greetings, Using HP desktop with Windows 10. Latest Fall Creator Update installed. After the latest update my machine wouldn't wake up after sleep mode. The screen is blank although I can hear "rumbling" in the background as if the hard drive were indeed on but I see...
  10. Computer Wakes from Sleep/Hibernation

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer Wakes from Sleep/Hibernation: Hello, My computer keeps waking when I put it to sleep and I can't determine the cause. How do I find out the reason it woke up, and how do I force it to ignore this event in future? I have a feeling it's one of my peripherals, but I can't be sure. Thank you! 45576