Windows 10: Laptop does not recognize USB flash drives or transfer cable

Discus and support Laptop does not recognize USB flash drives or transfer cable in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; My laptop does not recognize USB flash drives, external drives, or my data/transfer cable. Problem discovered when I needed to move files from this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by hunter1801, May 9, 2019.

1. Laptop does not recognize USB flash drives or transfer cable

My laptop does not recognize USB flash drives, external drives, or my data/transfer cable. Problem discovered when I needed to move files from this laptop to another and nothing worked. USB mouse (wired or wireless) works though.

When I plug in a flash drive, it detects it, but lists it under "Other devices" in Device Manager. Device Manager will show all USB drives and the transfer cable under the Other Devices menu. When I right click the item to view the error message, it says "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28)"

If I try to Update Driver, it tells me it is unable to find or install any drivers (Windows is unable to find any drivers for your device).

Laptop: Dell

:)

hunter1801, May 9, 2019

2. USB Transfer to Laptop

Hello Judy,

I suggest you to copy all the files to a flash drive from the laptop.
    You may create a new folder on your desktop and name that folder as per your choice.

• Perform the steps to transfer the files from laptop to desktop.

• Plug in the flash drive and wait for it to get detected.

• Now, open the flash drive and Right Click on the files that you want to transfer and select “Copy”.

• Now, open the folder on desktop and Right Click on an empty space in the folder and select “Paste”.

• Similarly, you can transfer all other files.
    As per the file size you can also use an external drive instead of a flash drive and transfer the data.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Anju Thekkethil, May 9, 2019
  3. PhilW Win User
    OS doesn't recognize USB flash drives (KB4056892)

Just completed Win10 update KB4056892 on my Sony laptop, now running v.1709, build 16299.125. Almost everything is fine except the system no longer recognizes USB flash drives. When a flash drive (USB2 or 3) is inserted in a port the Device Manager recognizes it as "Other Devices", lists what it is (for example "TOSHIBA TransMemory USB Device") but says under Properties: "The drivers for this device are not installed. (Code 28) There are no compatible drivers for this device." When I try to update the driver, the Update Drivers feature says "Windows could not find drivers for your device." Device Manager shows no problems under Universal Serial Bus Controllers.

I know the drivers for flash drives are somewhere in the system because I have used these ports and flash drives many times prior to KB4056892, but I don't know where they are or how to tell the OS where they are. Suggestions would be appreciated.

PhilW, May 9, 2019
  4. Arun B J Win User

Laptop does not recognize USB flash drives or transfer cable

How To Transfer Documents to Upgraded Windows 10 using a USB 3.0 Flash Drive?

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to copy all the files to a flash drive from the laptop.
    You may create a new folder on your desktop and name that folder as per your choice.

• Perform the steps to transfer the files from laptop to desktop.

• Plug in the flash drive and wait for it to get detected.

• Now, open the flash drive and Right Click on the files that you want to transfer and select “Copy”.

• Now, open the folder on desktop and Right Click on an empty space in the folder and select “Paste”.

• Similarly, you can transfer all other files.
    As per the file size you can also use an external drive instead of a flash drive and transfer the data.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

Arun B J, May 9, 2019
Thema:

Laptop does not recognize USB flash drives or transfer cable

1. Laptop does not recognize USB flash drives or transfer cable - Similar Threads - Laptop does recognize

2. Create a Recovery Drive does not recognize my USB flash drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create a Recovery Drive does not recognize my USB flash drive.: Create a recovery drive does not recognize my USB flash drive. The flash drive appears in file explorer and is formatted and is 64GB. I have tried several drives and get the same problem....
  3. Create a Recovery Drive does not recognize my USB flash drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Create a Recovery Drive does not recognize my USB flash drive.: Create a recovery drive does not recognize my USB flash drive. The flash drive appears in file explorer and is formatted and is 64GB. I have tried several drives and get the same problem....
  4. Create Recovery Drive does not recognize USB flash drives

Create Recovery Drive does not recognize USB flash drives: I am trying to create a recovery drive for a brand new Dell computer running Windows 11 and keep getting this error with different flash drives: "Connect a USB flash drive. The drive must be able to hold at least 32 GB, and everything on the drive will be...
  5. Create Recovery Drive does not recognize USB flash drives

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Create Recovery Drive does not recognize USB flash drives: I am trying to create a recovery drive for a brand new Dell computer running Windows 11 and keep getting this error with different flash drives: "Connect a USB flash drive. The drive must be able to hold at least 32 GB, and everything on the drive will be...
  6. Windows 11 does not recognize USB audio cable

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 does not recognize USB audio cable: I just got a brand new audio USB audio cable, yet Windows 11 does not recognize it. I plug it in to the USB port, and it makes a little "beep-boop", but it doesn't work....
  7. Windows 11 does not recognize USB audio cable

Windows 11 does not recognize USB audio cable: I just got a brand new audio USB audio cable, yet Windows 11 does not recognize it. I plug it in to the USB port, and it makes a little "beep-boop", but it doesn't work....
  8. Flash USB Flash Drive Not Recognized

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Flash USB Flash Drive Not Recognized: I have a 16GB USB Flash Drive I was using for saving "File History" documents, favorites, etc.. It appeared to be working, but later I got a message about running out of space on the drive. I formatted the drive and that appeared to be successful, then tried to use it...
  9. USB Transfer Cable

USB Transfer Cable: I am trying to us a USB transfer cable to pull files from my Windows 7 computer to my Windows 10 computer. No dice with Easy Suite https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/usb-transfer-cable/f4ab9e35-efe1-4b11-a6dc-4e60ba1e0741
  10. win10 does not recognize a usb flash drive

win10 does not recognize a usb flash drive: why does win10 not recognize my usb flash drive anymore ( I cannot save copied files in my usb portable flash device) ?? thanks R. 10/9/2018 10.20 PM EST...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. pc to pc transfer cable not recognized