Windows 10: Laptop doesn't turn off the screen or go to sleep when inactive

Discus and support Laptop doesn't turn off the screen or go to sleep when inactive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hello everyone, so just the other day I (finally) upgraded my Lenovo Ideapad Z510 from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. So far, I'm pretty happy about it,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by CherryBinger, Jul 20, 2016.

1. Laptop doesn't turn off the screen or go to sleep when inactive

Hello everyone,
    so just the other day I (finally) upgraded my Lenovo Ideapad Z510 from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. So far, I'm pretty happy about it, so I'm definitely not regretting it, but there is one thing that it's starting to frustrate me.

Basically, when the computer is idle, the screen doesn't turn off after the set amount of time (I have it at 5 minutes on battery, 10 minutes if connected to the AC charger), and the laptop doesn't go to sleep either (it should do so after 10 minutes on battery, 30 minutes with the AC charger). It's really annoying, and I can't figure out why. I have tried to change the settings, disable apps and programs and such, but nothing has solved the problem so far.

After looking it up on google, I read about people who had this issue and apparently it was caused by some USB gaming controller connected to the computer. I have no such thing though, the only USB device I have plugged in is my wireless mouse (Logitech). I did try to remove it in case that was the problem, but unfortunately nothing changed: when inactive, the computer still doesn't turn off the screen nor it goes to sleep.

I have noticed that if I leave it idle for a while, say 1 or 2 minutes, at one point the brightness decreases slightly for, like, less than a second, and then it goes back to normal, as if someone touched the mouse to "wake up" the laptop (but clearly no one touched anything).

Did this happen to anyone? Any idea about what could be causing it? So annoying. Could it be a driver issue, or maybe some software running in the background?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    V

:)

CherryBinger, Jul 20, 2016
  2. EdithNash Win User

PC going to sleep after 2 minutes no matter what the power setting are.

I have a Toshiba Satellite S75 laptop running Windows 10. It has a 2.60GHz CPU, 8Gb Ram and a 700 Gb hard drive. Recently my PC has started going to sleep after 2 minutes no matter what the setting are. I am using the Balanced power plan. The laptop
    is plugged in and those setting are set as follows: a) turn screen off - 3 hours; b) put computer to sleep 4 hours. I checked advanced power settings and found the following: 1) turn hard disk off after - 300 minutes; 2) sleep after 240 minutes; 3) Allow
    hybred sleep is off; 4) hibernate after - 300 minutes and 5) turn off display after 180 minutes. Again all of these setting are for when the computer is plugged in.

The screen saver is set to start after 20 minutes of inactivity.

Any suggestions on how to get it to quite going to sleep after 2 minutes of inactivity? Thanks.

EdithNash, Jul 20, 2016
  3. gmopro Win User
    Power settings Ignored - Lenovo Yoga 700 never goes to sleep mode.

So in the past, my Lenovo Yoga 700 pc would always go to sleep mode after 1 minute of inactivity. That was an issue.

My settings are 5 minutes to turn off screen and then 30 minutes of inactivity to go to sleep mode.

Now it never goes to sleep mode after hours of inactivity. So energy is wasted because my keyboard should turn off when i am away a long time. This really needs to be addressed. Issue has bugged me for almost a year now..with no resolution.

gmopro, Jul 20, 2016
  4. Spiritos Win User

Laptop doesn't turn off the screen or go to sleep when inactive

Maybe too obvious but have you chosen the right "Energy Profile"? I once set up a custom balanced profile then came to the conclusion the default profile was still active.

Spiritos, Jul 20, 2016
  5. I don't think I've ever changed it to a custom profile actually. Anyway I even tried restoring default settings just in case, but the problem still remains. Also, I have installed the most recent ACPI driver from Lenovo to see if anything changed, but no luck so far...

CherryBinger, Jul 20, 2016
  6. Spiritos Win User
    Don't mean to keep pushing my suggestion but I hoped you at least looked at ur current schematic under powermanagement right? Could be the upgrade somehow messed things up.

Also the correlation between either Win powermanagement and/or UEFI settings could be a factor. Don't know how this works for your laptop but could be worth a shot as well (as far as you haven't done so already).

Spiritos, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Laptop doesn't turn off the screen or go to sleep when inactive

1. Laptop doesn't turn off the screen or go to sleep when inactive - Similar Threads - Laptop doesn't turn

2. PC doesn't go to sleep mode but only turns screen off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC doesn't go to sleep mode but only turns screen off: I've recently started experiencing this problem and I just can't seem to fix it, I've watched many tutorials on YouTube and the problem still resumes, my computer just doesn't turn off when I put it to sleep mode and only turns off the screen but once I move my mouse, it...
  3. PC doesn't go to sleep mode but only turns screen off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC doesn't go to sleep mode but only turns screen off: I've recently started experiencing this problem and I just can't seem to fix it, I've watched many tutorials on YouTube and the problem still resumes, my computer just doesn't turn off when I put it to sleep mode and only turns off the screen but once I move my mouse, it...
  4. When I press the power button the screen turns off but the laptop doesn't go to sleep. How...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When I press the power button the screen turns off but the laptop doesn't go to sleep. How...: When I press the power button on the laptop, the screen turns off but the laptop does not go to sleep and the mute light that comes up when you mute the system comes on...
  5. When I press the power button the screen turns off but the laptop doesn't go to sleep. How...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When I press the power button the screen turns off but the laptop doesn't go to sleep. How...: When I press the power button on the laptop, the screen turns off but the laptop does not go to sleep and the mute light that comes up when you mute the system comes on...
  6. Windows 10 laptop display doesn't turn off, or go to sleep

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 laptop display doesn't turn off, or go to sleep: I just had to reset my Windows 10 laptop using the media creation tool, due to multiple crashes. So far, I think laptop is running mostly OK, but still waiting to see. But there is one annoying issue, an issue I have encountered multiple times with multiple computers --...
  7. Laptop screen doesn't go back after automatically turns off

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop screen doesn't go back after automatically turns off: I have an Asus laptop acting weird.When the usb receiver for the wireless mouse is connected, the screen turns off 5 minutes for me due to inactivity and the screen comes back when I press a button on the keyboard or use the mouse.When I don't have the receiver connected, the...
  8. dell laptop doesn't go to sleep, screen keeps turning back on

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    dell laptop doesn't go to sleep, screen keeps turning back on: This issue has been frustrating me for a while now, and I'm getting really irritated because I'm sure you guys up there at Microsoft are aware of this issue but I still haven't seen any fix for it. There are many discussions here from people who have Dell laptops with the...
  9. Laptop Keeps Turning off after going to Sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop Keeps Turning off after going to Sleep: Hey everyone recently my Acer Laptop has been shutting down after I allow it to sleep for too long. As in if close the lid of my laptop, it goes to sleep like usual. But if I don't wake or use it for like 30 minutes it just turns off rather than stay in sleep. Two changes I...
  10. Laptop turns off instead of going to sleep or worse

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop turns off instead of going to sleep or worse: Hello. Ever since one of the more recent windows updates my laptop (Lenovo) does not go to sleep when I close the lid or leave for a few minutes. It is set to 'sleep' in Settings (30 mins on battery and 60 minutes when plugged in) but if I leave for just a few minutes it...