Windows 10: Laptop Driver & Clean Installation issues

Discus and support Laptop Driver & Clean Installation issues in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Heya. As per guidelines, I'll do my best to elaborate as clearly as I can. I'll also try and explain all the events leading up to it. So! I've had... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Doctor Phynx, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Laptop Driver & Clean Installation issues

Heya. As per guidelines, I'll do my best to elaborate as clearly as I can. I'll also try and explain all the events leading up to it.

So! I've had this Laptop for about... two years? Three years? It worked fine until about six months or so ago. Randomly, it just started to crash upon starting up. Nothing too big, I couldn't fix it regardless of the thirty attempts using online methods, so I did the easy way out: a clean installation of Windows 10 via USB. Previously, I already had Windows 10 installed on the laptop. It worked like a charm, everything on it functioned just as well as before. Skip forward a bit, and for some unknown reason, my laptop repeated this again I was pretty cautious about what I downloaded after the first time. This is where the errors started popping up; this time, when I went to repair it via Clean Installation, it went smoothly... up until it finished the installation and reset. Once it resets and enters the next phase Getting Devices Ready it freezes completely. Rebooting it causes me to get an error which tells me the installation was corrupted or something I don't fully remember, I would check but I'm currently using the laptop to post this. That's where I'm at now. Unable to cleanly and properly install windows. I have, however, figured a workaround.

Once I reach the error code of being unable to install Windows, by pressing SHIFT+F10, I can enter a command prompt. Entering "regedit" and navigating through to the "setup.exe" and changing the value from "1" to "3" allows me to boot past this, and continue setting everything up like normal. Here comes the kicker though: it seems as if I don't install windows properly i.e. figuring a way beyond the Getting Devices Ready freeze my drivers aren't working properly. The two drivers that aren't quite what I remember are the Display Driver, which prior to all these issues supported OpenGL yet no longer supports this, and the Network Adapter, which no longer functions, in which case I'm forced to resort to USB tethering via Galaxy S10. My laptop also refuses to allow Bluetooth, too. It does not show on anything, and picks up nothing.

TL;DR My laptop freezes at "Getting Devices Ready" and using regedit to boot past errors breaks my drivers. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

:)

Doctor Phynx, Jan 29, 2021
  2. HAT
    hat Win User

Cleaning off a Mac Laptop

cleaning it?

Step 1: buy about a half gallon of gasoline.

Step 2: douse laptop in gasoline.

Step 3: toss a burning match onto laptop.

Step 4: watch the fire clense your laptop.

3. Clean Install Workaround for Vista

You may remember this news story on techPowerUp! a couple of days ago relating to the lack of clean installs when using the Upgrade Editions of Vista, which required an old OS to be installed. However, Paul Thurrott has managed to find a workaround for this issue, which ironically lets users do a clean install Vista without any previous version of Windows, albeit a little tedious. Here are the steps:
    • Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD as normal
    • When prompted for a product code, leave this blank
    • Select the version of Vista you have purchased and let Vista install
    • When you boot to your desktop for the first time, run the Vista setup from Windows
    • This time enter your product key
    • When asked whether you want to do an Upgrade of Custom install, select custom and choose a clean install
    • Windows will now install for a second time and you should be able to activate it
    Remember, these steps are only advised for use in order to achieve a clean install of Vista, it is only legal to use the upgrade editions if you have previously purchased the appropriate version of Windows.

Source: DailyTech

Jimmy 2004, Jan 29, 2021
  4. Laptop Driver & Clean Installation issues

Windows 7 wont install drivers

+1

If you having an issue installing a driver that worked before you formatted or wont install on a fresh build, sometimes this means hardware damage

brandonwh64, Jan 29, 2021
Thema:

Laptop Driver & Clean Installation issues

1. Laptop Driver & Clean Installation issues - Similar Threads - Laptop Driver Clean

2. Touchpad driver not installing after clean install Windows 7 in Asus Laptop.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Touchpad driver not installing after clean install Windows 7 in Asus Laptop.: Hi, I have installed Windows 7 on my Asus laptop. After I installed it, the touchpad was not working. I thought, It will install by itself. But it didn't install automatically. So I went to install Asus Smart Gesture Asus Touchpad driver. But it didn't install, it said "There...
  3. Graphics Driver Clean-Reinstall Issue

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Graphics Driver Clean-Reinstall Issue: Hello.I have an Intel UHD Graphics 620 integrated graphics card. Today, I just clean-reinstalled my graphics drivers, because my performance seemed to slow down and GPU usage began to increase over time. I clean uninstalled my graphics drivers using Display Driver...
  4. Issues with clean Win10 Install

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Issues with clean Win10 Install: [IMG]I don’t know how to write this I’m not great with computers but this is currently where I’m at and I have no idea where to go from here. I used IBuyPowers guide to fixing “Reboot and select proper boot media, or insert a boot device” and everything was going well up...
  5. Used laptop clean install issue.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Used laptop clean install issue.: Hi I recently picked up used thinkpad. I’m trying to do a clean install of windows 10 pro on it. I have downloaded windows 10 onto usb and from there I can get to the the point where it gets to picking a network connection. When I choose my WiFi network it takes me to a...
  6. NVIDIA driver for clean install

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    NVIDIA driver for clean install: I'm getting ready to do a Win10 Pro MCT ISO USB based clean install on a Dell XPS 8700. The machine has an NVIDIA GTX 745 card. In preparing for the install I discovered there are three 451.67 drivers to be considered. I installed the 451.67 for the Win8.1-64 machine. I then...
  7. Issues with clean install

Issues with clean install: So I tried to clean install windows the resetting windows got stuck at 99%, eventually restarted but said could not delete everything. windowes install started but bugged out halfway through. now when I boot I gett windows installationj failed to start. My bios settign seem...
  8. Windows 10 USB Clean Install Missing Drivers Issue

Windows 10 USB Clean Install Missing Drivers Issue: So recently my hard drive on my ASUS ROG gl502vs gaming laptop failed and honestly I didn't really care too much for the files on that drive as they weren't that important. Anyway, I bought a FireCuda SSHD 2.5 as a replacement for my old drive. I tried creating the Windows 10...
  9. Issue with Clean Install

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Issue with Clean Install: Today i upgraded my mother board, cpu and ram to an asrock z170 K6, an i7 6700k, and 2x8n ddr4 ram and i am trying to do a clean install from a usb created with the media creation tool. I have made 3 usb's and have gotten multiple BSOD's and now i am at the point where the...
  10. Issue doing a clean install of Win 10 on a laptop

Issue doing a clean install of Win 10 on a laptop: Hello, When I purchased my laptop it had Windows 8 on it. I did the free upgrade to Windows 10 with no issues. Lately my laptop has been giving me issues so I did a factory reset back to Windows 8. I downloaded the Windows 10 media creation tool to a USB drive. I made...