Windows 10: Laptop dropping 2.4GHz wifi signal

Discus and support Laptop dropping 2.4GHz wifi signal in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I'm using a new Asus AC68U router. My home network includes, among other items, my desktop and my laptop (a Dell XPS 15). The laptop occasionally drops... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by gogreen, Jun 9, 2016.

1. gogreen Win User

Laptop dropping 2.4GHz wifi signal

I'm using a new Asus AC68U router. My home network includes, among other items, my desktop and my laptop (a Dell XPS 15). The laptop occasionally drops the wifi on the 2.4 GHz band. Everything else on the network handles both bands fine. The laptop has been holding well on the 5Ghz band. How do I determine with the 2.4 Ghz band if the problem is the laptop, the router--or both? How do I diagnose this problem? I should mention that all the laptop and Asus drivers are up to date. Thanks.

:)

gogreen, Jun 9, 2016

2. Low wifi signal strength after windows 10 update

i upgraded to windows 10 but after the update WiFi signal strength has dropped significantly now i get only one bar and some times my WiFi does not even detects my router . Before the upgrade to windows 10 i used to get full wifi signal. I suspect windows
    10 is not fully compatible with my WiFi adapter please help me out .

I am using DELL Inspiron14 3437.

I am using Dell Wireless 1705 802.11b/g/n (2.4GHZ) WiFi adapter.

SaileshBajracharya, Jun 9, 2016
  3. wifi frequent disconnection

I was asking not to touch the phone as this issue could be caused by hardware. When you are surfing, you move your hands around the phone and this could interfere with the rather weak 2.4GHz wifi signal. Also, a built-in antenna is not the best configuration
    to get it really omnidirectional, so the gain could drop depending on how you hold your phone.

Thundermax, Jun 9, 2016
  4. Laptop dropping 2.4GHz wifi signal

Maybe your 2.4 GHz band is congested so it can't reliably hold a connection

theveterans, Jun 9, 2016
  5. wyldman68 Win User
    Have you changed the channel used for 2.4? Sometimes if other WiFi routers in your area use the same channels, the signal can be erratic.

wyldman68, Jun 9, 2016
  6. Mystere Win User
    Have you installed the latest wifi drivers for your chipset? I know the Intel dual wireless drivers provided with Windows often have trouble and you need to download the drivers directly from Intel and get the latest versions.

Mystere, Jun 9, 2016
  7. swarfega Win User
    Does your router have dual band wifi? If so you could split the wifi signal between 2.4ghz and 5ghz with a specific key for 5ghz and log in to the second one. 5GHz usually has less interferance.

swarfega, Jun 9, 2016
  8. gogreen Win User

@theveterans and wyldman68: Maybe, but I doubt it. I'll check with inssider when I'm on the laptop. I've had 4 or 5 devices on the 2.4 GHz band before without a problem.

@Mystere: I will check the drivers, although Windows tells me all is up to date. How do I identify my laptop's specific drivers for this purpose?

@swarfega: Yes, the router is dual band. I've placed my laptop and iPhone on the 5GHz band with no problem--it's definitely faster, but the signal isn't as strong as the 2.4GHz (according to inSSIDer).

Something just occurred to me. Do you think this problem has anything to do with the laptop's screen saver coming on? So far, that's when I notice the problem.

This seems pretty slick. Has anyone tried it? I'm wary because my desktop and laptop are both Dell products, and I wonder if Dell altered the chip software.

gogreen, Jun 9, 2016
  9. swarfega Win User
    It shouldn't be the screensaver but you could disable it to eliminate that in the process if you want.

I am not so sure that Dell is the commonality here, I think something is interfering with your wifi.

Have you heard of powerline adaptors? Might be an alternative for you to think about. Again there are pros and cons with this too. But if your house isn't too old and taking into account other factors, you might find it more stable.

swarfega, Jun 9, 2016
  10. Mystere Win User
    If it's an intel wireless, then just go to Drivers & Software and at the bottom is a link to the Wireless ProSet drivers. If it's another vendor, then you'll have to do some research on your chipset.

Mystere, Jun 10, 2016
  11. gogreen Win User
    My laptop's wireless network adapter is an Intel Centrino Ultimate-N6300 AGN. Windows tells me the driver is up to date. Why would I install the Wireless ProSet drivers? And will that installation erase any of Dell's proprietary settings?

Same deal with my desktop--a Dell Studio XPS 8100. Would installing the Intel ProSet be an advantage?

gogreen, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Laptop dropping 2.4GHz wifi signal - Similar Threads - Laptop dropping 4GHz

2. Wifi Signal drops the lowest bar once connected.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wifi Signal drops the lowest bar once connected.: I have been facing this issue for the past 3-4 months. Whenever I connect to WIFI the signal drop to the lowest, regardless of the distance or the WIFI connection. Before connecting to any WIFI connection the signal is always highest but once I connect it get to the lowest. I...
  3. Wifi Signal drops the lowest bar once connected.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Wifi Signal drops the lowest bar once connected.: I have been facing this issue for the past 3-4 months. Whenever I connect to WIFI the signal drop to the lowest, regardless of the distance or the WIFI connection. Before connecting to any WIFI connection the signal is always highest but once I connect it get to the lowest. I...
  4. Wifi Signal drops the lowest bar once connected.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. PC Wifi signal keeps dropping after a few minutes.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC Wifi signal keeps dropping after a few minutes.: Problem: Wifi signal drops. If I disconnect and reconnect it will go back to normal and work for anywhere between 1 to 20 minutes before dropping again. When it drops the icon in the tray displays 0 bars while it's usually at full, and after a minute of that it will start...
  6. PC Wifi signal keeps dropping after a few minutes.

PC Wifi signal keeps dropping after a few minutes.: Problem: Wifi signal drops. If I disconnect and reconnect it will go back to normal and work for anywhere between 1 to 20 minutes before dropping again. When it drops the icon in the tray displays 0 bars while it's usually at full, and after a minute of that it will start...
  7. Realtek Wifi drops, Low Signal Strength Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Realtek Wifi drops, Low Signal Strength Windows 10: My wifi just keeps disconnecting time to time and it rarely even connects to any wifi. The Signal Strength is very low. My all devices can connects with wifi showing max signal strenght but windows can't why ?...
  8. Wifi signal drops constantly

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Wifi signal drops constantly: I've been having a reoccuring issue lately where my wifi connection becomes unusable at completely random times. It appears as the wifi connection wigit changing to show I am at half signal strength instead of full. I'm on a desktop, with a highspeed internet connection. I'm...
  9. Pc Randomly Drops Wifi Signal?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Pc Randomly Drops Wifi Signal?: Somedays it's fine, but sometimes I'll loose connection. All my other devices will be fine. It'll say it's connected and secured but there's no connection. I'll reset my pc and it'll be boot up and be connected. Thought it was just my wifi for awhile then realized my other...
  10. Laptop keeps dropping wifi signal, computer or Windows 10?

Laptop keeps dropping wifi signal, computer or Windows 10?: I have to replace my Sony VAIO that ran Windowns 7 because of the graphic card kicked the bucket. This new Dell laptop "supposed" to be better and faster but there's one problem - it keeps dropping wifi signals. The Sony with win 7 did drop signals but it was more like a...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. dell xps 15 dropping wifi

2. laptop dropping wifi on 2.4

3. Wifi signal on 2.4ghz band keeps dropping 5ghz fine

4. 2.4ghz wifi dropping on laptop,
  5. asus the 2.4ghz channel drops signal