Windows 10: Laptop, Dual Display, Lag with closed lid

Discus and support Laptop, Dual Display, Lag with closed lid in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, I just bought some monitor to use with my Dell laptop and connected it through the HDMI port of the second graphics display. The problem is that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by ekeda, Mar 10, 2019.

1. ekeda Win User

Laptop, Dual Display, Lag with closed lid

Hi,

I just bought some monitor to use with my Dell laptop and connected it through the HDMI port of the second graphics display. The problem is that when I close the lid, the laptop automatically turns off the laptop display and stops using the internal video card which leads to minor lag when using the new monitor with only the second graphics display being active.

Obviously the solutions are:
    1) Somehow force the internal video card to still be used
    2) Stop the turning off of the laptop display when the lid is closed (I don't have such option in control panel -> power options)

Any ideas how to go fix this besides not closing the lid at all?

:)

ekeda, Mar 10, 2019
  2. KomouPoji Win User

"Only show 2" defaults to "Duplicate these displays" upon closing and reopening laptop lid

Hi,

I would suggest to try the following steps and check if it helps

• Press the Win Key + X to display the
      system menu.

• Select Control Panel.

• Select Power Options.

• On theleft side menu, select the Choose what closing the lid does option.

• Look in the Power and sleep buttons and lid settings section.

• Use the drop down menus in the
      When I close the lid section and select Do Nothing for both options.

I hope the information is helpful and if the error still persists, we’ll be glad to assists you.

Thank you.

KomouPoji, Mar 10, 2019
  3. Ruz San Win User
    Laptop restarts after closing the lid

Hi,

It appears that your laptop hibernates when you close its lid. This feature terminates running processes on your machine since it allows the system to use very little power. If
    Do nothing is already selected for Choose what closing the lid does
    in Power Options, let's try to make hibernation unavailable. Follow these steps:

• Right-click on the Windows icon on your home screen.
    • Select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Click Yes if you get a prompt window.
    • Type powercfg.exe /hibernate off then press Enter.
    See if this will prevent the laptop from hibernating when you close the lid.

Let us know how it turns out.

Ruz San, Mar 10, 2019
  4. rmoreau Win User

How to force shutdown on laptop lid close ?

Hi,
    I want to force a shutdown when the user close the laptop lid even if MSWord is open and the document was not saved.
    Any suggestion ?

Regards

rmoreau, Mar 10, 2019
Thema:

1. Laptop, Dual Display, Lag with closed lid - Similar Threads - Laptop Dual Display

2. Turn off laptop display on lid close

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Turn off laptop display on lid close: I want my laptop display to turn off when I close the lid with the power connected. This has always been the default, but with Win 11, I cannot find a way to enable this behavior. There is no option in the power settings to turn off the display; only Do Nothing, Hibernate,...
  3. Turn off laptop display on lid close

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Turn off laptop display on lid close: I want my laptop display to turn off when I close the lid with the power connected. This has always been the default, but with Win 11, I cannot find a way to enable this behavior. There is no option in the power settings to turn off the display; only Do Nothing, Hibernate,...
  4. Notebook display still on with lid closed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Notebook display still on with lid closed: In Windows 10, when I close de lid the internal monitor was turn off and I could use 3 external monitor attached to a dock. Now, with Windows 11, when I close de lid, the internal monitor is still on and only two external monitor works. If I connect the third monitor windows...
  5. Notebook display still on with lid closed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Notebook display still on with lid closed: In Windows 10, when I close de lid the internal monitor was turn off and I could use 3 external monitor attached to a dock. Now, with Windows 11, when I close de lid, the internal monitor is still on and only two external monitor works. If I connect the third monitor windows...
  6. Close Lid Laptop Hibernates

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Close Lid Laptop Hibernates: Hi! I have followed the Advanced Power Settings threads and chose "Do Nothing" when I close the lid. That's not working! When I close the lid, the laptop hibernates and all the monitors go to sleep - it says no power connection! Please help!...
  7. Display Closing Lid and Power Settings

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Display Closing Lid and Power Settings: I was wondering about if there was any way for a setting to be changed so that: -If my computer is hooked up to a display (monitor), it would not sleep when I close the lid -If my computer is not hooked up to a display (monitor), it would sleep when I close the lid...
  8. VNC with laptop lid closed

in Windows 10 Customization
    VNC with laptop lid closed: I use a VNC service to remotely manage hundreds laptops that are stored in a HP laptop cart so they will charge and be connected to ethernet. They are used in a classroom environment and perform required support functions between classes and at night. We recently upgraded...
  9. DUal monitor / close lid / desktop moves

in Windows 10 Support
    DUal monitor / close lid / desktop moves: Hello Notebook with external monitor. Active Desktop is on embedded monitor. Close lid, desktop jumpes to external monitor. How to stop that bad behavior? Power Options: When I close the lid: Do Nothing. That's a blatant lie. It does something. I moves the desktop to the...
  10. Closing my laptop lid

in Windows 10 Support
    Closing my laptop lid: Hello, I'm new to windows 10, just had it installed last week and so far, I like it. A problem I'm running into is when I close the lid on my laptop and then open it again after a while, it shuts down and goes to the hp screen. What I would like is, when I close the lid and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. laptop lid closed laggy

2. If i close my laptop why dnes it delay to display

3. video lags when lid closed

4. laptop lags when dual screen windows 10 when lid shut,
  5. wi dows 10 lags adter reopening the lid laptop,
  6. video laggy when laptop lid closed,
  7. I have two screens and my PC keeps turining off when I close the laptop,
  8. laptop graphics lag lid closed,
  9. windows dual display with laptop closed