Windows 10: Laptop dynamic: MPG files reflect thumbnail but MP4 files reflect VLC icon. Desktop...

Discus and support Laptop dynamic: MPG files reflect thumbnail but MP4 files reflect VLC icon. Desktop... in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; OS: Win10 Home, build 19043Default Video App: VLCSo far on both LT & DT:* Completed SFC on both LT & DT.* Deleted thumbnail cache* Confirmed Advanced... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by Little Twinn, Jul 20, 2021.

1. Laptop dynamic: MPG files reflect thumbnail but MP4 files reflect VLC icon. Desktop...

OS: Win10 Home, build 19043Default Video App: VLCSo far on both LT & DT:* Completed SFC on both LT & DT.* Deleted thumbnail cache* Confirmed Advanced System Performance Setting> Show thumbnails... & Save Taskbar previews... are both checked.* Confirmed Folder Options> Always show icons not thumbnails is unchecked.* Reset Win10 video default app to Photos, same issue persists. Reset back to VLC, issue remains.Apparently this is a Win10 issue as it exists regardless of the default app. It also exists on two identical builds of Win10 but in reverse. If I attempt to import into P

:)

Little Twinn, Jul 20, 2021

2. MPG files on Windows 10

Hello all,

I am aware that windows 10 (I am used to Windows 7) will not natively play MPG files. I know this is a side effect of the codec being ripped out to prevent DVD playback via Media Player. The annoying thing is I have quite a few family MPG files mainly from our ageing Sony Camcorder on my system. Luckily I have Cyberlink Media Show pre installed that can play the files within it's own software and the media suite (espresso) can convert said files to other formats. However, converting takes time and it is frustrating that media player 12 won't do the job and Windows Explorer won't display these MPG files with the handy thumbnail within file explorer viewing. Given that I am a little distrustful of codec packs and all my other files such as MP4, WMV etc etc play well I am looking for a solution that maybe just allows windows explorer to display the thumbnails and as an added bonus Media Player can once again play them. It does seem draconian that MS stifled a common playback format such as MPG in the last 2 windows and a major backwards step. I know I could download something like VLC or Media Player Classic but it seems pointless seeing as I have software that can already play them.

I tried K Lite Codec Pack a while back but hated the effect it had that I uninstalled. It was causing thumbnails to constantly refresh everytime I opened a folder. So is there a way of slipping in a single codec only related to MPG files without risk of unsettling all the other stuff that works well? Many of the codec packs seem to have the unpleasant side effect of slipping in extra installations and seem very dodgy and capable of causing grief.

Thanks,
    Wayne

Scottyboy99, Jul 20, 2021
  3. How to change desktop screen to reflect icons?

How can the desktop screen be changed to reflect icons? My HP Chromebook will not change desktop screen to include icons. They remain on the left side of my screen.

creativehearts52, Jul 20, 2021
  4. bel-p Win User

Laptop dynamic: MPG files reflect thumbnail but MP4 files reflect VLC icon. Desktop...

Explorer Thumbnails not displaying movie icon for MP4 files

I'm using Windows 10 and have noticed for a while that a lot of my MP4 files do not display show that a file is an MP4 file in Explorer.

I view the files using Thumbnails, not icons, and usually view as Large Icons or Extra Large icons.

Some MP4 files clearly show that they're a film as they display the movie style thumbnail, but others just display a plain thumbnail so don't look any different from JPG files.

I've now realised that films that I've taken horizontally with my phone show as movie style thumbnails, but films taken vertically with my phone show as ordinary thumbnails. Here's a screenshot of what I mean.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks.

Laptop dynamic: MPG files reflect thumbnail but MP4 files reflect VLC icon. Desktop... 22af6731-511b-4796-919c-ce22254bafbe?upload=true.png

bel-p, Jul 20, 2021
Thema:

Laptop dynamic: MPG files reflect thumbnail but MP4 files reflect VLC icon. Desktop...

1. Laptop dynamic: MPG files reflect thumbnail but MP4 files reflect VLC icon. Desktop... - Similar Threads - Laptop dynamic MPG

2. ONEDRIVE REFLECTING ON DESKTOP + LAPTOP ISSUE

in Windows 10 Customization
    ONEDRIVE REFLECTING ON DESKTOP + LAPTOP ISSUE: Hey there guys. We use HP products with Windows.I have a 32" HP Envy desktop and a smaller 13" HP Spectre 360. I love my One Drive except for the fact that all of the files on my large desktop when reflecting on my laptop home - its completely smashed together. Is there a way...
  3. ONEDRIVE REFLECTING ON DESKTOP + LAPTOP ISSUE

in Windows 10 Gaming
    ONEDRIVE REFLECTING ON DESKTOP + LAPTOP ISSUE: Hey there guys. We use HP products with Windows.I have a 32" HP Envy desktop and a smaller 13" HP Spectre 360. I love my One Drive except for the fact that all of the files on my large desktop when reflecting on my laptop home - its completely smashed together. Is there a way...
  4. ONEDRIVE REFLECTING ON DESKTOP + LAPTOP ISSUE

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. How to change desktop screen to reflect icons?

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to change desktop screen to reflect icons?: How can the desktop screen be changed to reflect icons? My HP Chromebook will not change desktop screen to include icons. They remain on the left side of my screen....
  6. Explorer Thumbnails not displaying movie icon for MP4 files

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Explorer Thumbnails not displaying movie icon for MP4 files: I'm using Windows 10 and have noticed for a while that a lot of my MP4 files do not display show that a file is an MP4 file in Explorer. I view the files using Thumbnails, not icons, and usually view as Large Icons or Extra Large icons. Some MP4 files clearly show that...
  7. Macrium Reflect Windows PE files update?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Reflect Windows PE files update?: Hi All, I have the free Macrium Reflect 6 program, which recently updated to 6.1.879. When I try to make a USB rescue media, it says that an update has been found for my Windows PE files??? How do I update that? The program itself is up to date. [img] 27403
  8. Missing backup definition files in macrium reflect

Missing backup definition files in macrium reflect: I have two backup tasks that appear in the "scheduled backups" tab, and they run on schedule, but they don't appear in the "backup definition files" tab. This happened due to an uninstall and reinstall. How can I get them back into the "backup definition files" tab? I...
  9. Macrium Reflect does not find image file

Macrium Reflect does not find image file: Been trying M. Reflect free edition on a Dell Studio XPS 8000. I did as usual and created a boot rescue CD with the PE file with no problem. Then I continued to make an image of my boot disk C and save it on my hard drive D. Went to D and the image is there. Next I booted...
  10. Reusability of a Macrium Reflect Backup Definition File

Reusability of a Macrium Reflect Backup Definition File: I think I understand the idea behind the Macrium Reflect Backup Definition File. It saves backup settings so you don’t need to re-enter them. What I don’t get is how it’s supposed to be used over time. Right now I create a new one every time I do a full backup and then use it...