Windows 10: Laptop enters standby when windows turns off the monitors

Discus and support Laptop enters standby when windows turns off the monitors in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have an annoying issue in my machine: Whenever Windows turns off the monitors after an idle timeout, it also puts the machine in standby. I've... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by MaorAvni, Jan 28, 2020.

1. MaorAvni Win User

Laptop enters standby when windows turns off the monitors

I have an annoying issue in my machine:

Whenever Windows turns off the monitors after an idle timeout, it also puts the machine in standby.

I've checked all the usual suspects in the control panel:

* Sleep After

* System Unattended Sleep Timeout

* Hibernate After

I've then ran

powercfg /sleepstudy

The results show that the reason the machine exits active state is the monitor is turned off.

Entry reason: Initialization

Exit reason: MonitorOff

So when I set the machine to keep the monitors on when plugged in the machine doesn't sleep. However I don't want to keep it that way.

Important to note that this is a work machine, so it has some group policy applied. The IT guys naturally doesn't know anything about it.

Any ideas?

:)

MaorAvni, Jan 28, 2020

2. Pc will not wake up from Standby

i would suggest you check how it is set to resume from standby, does your monitor automatically power off when the computer is turned off or do you have to press the power button on the monitor itself?

jocksteeluk, Jan 28, 2020
  3. binki Win User
    How do I configure Windows 10 to blank the monitors without entering standby with Modern Standby?

I like to always ensure my computer is locked when I leave my desk. I am also fine with my monitors being set to go to sleep—in fact, I want to be able to have my monitors off if I’m not actively using the computer. However, I also will often have tasks running or music playing.

I don’t want to come back to my computer to find that no progress was made on my tasks due to it entering standby due to me securing it by turning off the screen. I also don’t want my computer to enter connected standby and disconnect my USB WiFi adapter from the network it was on (OK, that probably shouldn’t happen but it’s not the question I’m asking right now). I don’t want to have to have my screen on/unlocked to keep my music playing. I don’t want to have to keep my screen on/unlocked to keep my CPU-bound tasks running.

How do I configure Windows so that it will only enter standby only when I close the lid instead of also when the monitors are sleeping?

I looked at the docs at Turning off . It has this language:

It looks like Windows intentionally doesn’t offer the functionality I want. How do I get it anyway? Is my only option to backup all my files, configure my BIOS to not have S0, and then reinstall Windows to get the old style sleep back (assuming that’s even an option)? I’d rather not because I otherwise like the fast resume of S0.

I’m running Windows 1903 build 18358.1 on a Dell XPS 15 9570.

binki, Jan 28, 2020
  4. PaulL82 Win User

Monitors don't turn on after lock screen timeout

I have an ASUS M32 desktop (not all in one, specs below) with a dual monitor setup. I just bought the computer 2 days ago and it came with Windows 8.1. I decided to switch to Windows 10 so I did the update via download and install (meaning I did not create
    disks). Since the update when the monitors go into standby (not the PC itself) after I lock the PC and the timeout kicks in, I can wake the monitors but all I see is a blank grey screen. No matter how many buttons I press I cannot get the monitors to show
    anything. I have updated all drivers and I can't figure why this would happen because it doesn't when waking up from the PC in standby mode. I know most are going to say disable the monitors from going into standby but I shouldn't have to do that with a brand
    new computer. Any suggestions?

• Processor Brand
      AMD

• Processor Model
      AMD FX-Series

• Wireless Networking
      Wireless-AC

• Hard Drive Type
      SATA

• Hard Drive Capacity
      2000 gigabytes

• System Memory (RAM)
      8 gigabytes

• Video Memory Type
      Dedicated

• Graphics Type
      Discrete

• Graphics Processing Unit/GPU
      AMD

• Graphics Card
      AMD Radeon R7 240

• Video Memory
      2000 megabytes

PaulL82, Jan 28, 2020
Thema:

1. Laptop enters standby when windows turns off the monitors - Similar Threads - Laptop enters standby

2. Laptop enters Modern Standby when screen turns off

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop enters Modern Standby when screen turns off: I recently received my new Windows 11 laptop. I set the system to never go to sleep in the settings and in the power plan. However, when the screen turns off after screen time-out it also goes into Modern Standby. This causes my laptop fans to stop running causing the system...
  3. Laptop enters Modern Standby when screen turns off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop enters Modern Standby when screen turns off: I recently received my new Windows 11 laptop. I set the system to never go to sleep in the settings and in the power plan. However, when the screen turns off after screen time-out it also goes into Modern Standby. This causes my laptop fans to stop running causing the system...
  4. Windows 11: second monitor turned standby and won't turn on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11: second monitor turned standby and won't turn on: I am working from a newly built computer which is connected to 2 monitors MSI Optix G241 23.8" 1920 x 1080 144 Hz Monitor through Display Port, and an attached 3rd TV SAMSUNG screen through HDMI, which is mostly not activated/in use. These are all connected to my graphics...
  5. monitors are turning off when gaming

in Windows 10 Gaming
    monitors are turning off when gaming: everytime i play something it cause my monitors to turn off after some time and i dont know whyI`ve already changed my PSU and cpu cooler to a water cooling system and the problem still existI was also testing my temps and my cpu has 84* max when gpu is 80*so im really...
  6. monitors are turning off when gaming

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    monitors are turning off when gaming: everytime i play something it cause my monitors to turn off after some time and i dont know whyI`ve already changed my PSU and cpu cooler to a water cooling system and the problem still existI was also testing my temps and my cpu has 84* max when gpu is 80*so im really...
  7. 2nd laptop monitor turning off when the laptop turns off

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    2nd laptop monitor turning off when the laptop turns off: So,I have my laptop with a 2nd monitor, is there a way to set my 2nd monitor to turn off or on when the laptop turns off or on,basically, when I start turning on my laptop, my other 2nd monitor stays off, is there a way to make it turn on when I start my laptop, same with the...
  8. Webcam Turning off when monitor turns off

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Webcam Turning off when monitor turns off: Hello, I am trying to record video from my webcam while my monitor is turned off but everytime i turn off my monitor, the webcam turns off aswell. How do I fix this issue?...
  9. Laptop goes to standby when screen turns off

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop goes to standby when screen turns off: Dear community, I am experiencing an issue where the laptop goes to standby every time the screen turns off. If "Never" is set for "Turn off the display", then the laptop does not go to standby but also the screen stays on. But if the "Put the computer to sleep" is set to...
  10. rezizing of windows when turning off and on monitors

in Windows 10 Customization
    rezizing of windows when turning off and on monitors: hello world when i turn on my screens in the morning it rezizes my windows and programs, even relocate them into my second screen or vice versa. i suspect its my monitors. at home that never happens. on mac it never happened. is the problem hardware related or can it me...