Windows 10: Laptop fails to hibernate, display shuts off, power button stays on

Discus and support Laptop fails to hibernate, display shuts off, power button stays on in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Laptop: MSI GT73RE Titan (Windows 10 Pro x64 1909) GeForce GTX 1070 As of recently (last week) will not go in to hibernate. After a restart, it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by SoulOnFire, Feb 9, 2020.

1. Laptop fails to hibernate, display shuts off, power button stays on

Laptop: MSI GT73RE Titan (Windows 10 Pro x64 1909) GeForce GTX 1070

As of recently (last week) will not go in to hibernate. After a restart, it usually will the first time or two. But after that, the screen will shut off, the power and GPU buttonswill still be lit, and the PC will effectively hang. After 5 minutes orso, the PC will shut off. When you turn it back on, it is indeed booting up from a cold boot. nothing that I had open was saved.

I have disabled virtually everything that was running at startup. I've disabled any third party modifications . I have run SFC scannow and repaired/restarted, I've checked and troubleshot power settings. I ran CHKDSK/f, restarted. I never use Fast Startup (and double checked it), so that's irrelevant. Nothing works. I checked Event Viewer, and get a "Windows failed to resume from hibernate with error status 0XC00000001" error. I Googled that, but didn't come across anything especially helpful, besides the "Probably a driver causing it" response.

The timestamp is 5 minutes after I attempted hibernate. This would indicate that it fails to enter hibernate after five minutes, and BSODs. But this is all with the screen having shut off, so I don't see it.

I ran whoCrashed, and the most recent crashes indicate the same error: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE in the NTOSKRNL.EXE file.

It is coming from the kernel, of course. I will post the output here, but it does not indicate any specific hardware driver that is causing it. just a generic kernel panic.
    This week, I've had both an NVidia GeForce driver update, and a Windows update on this PC. I could try rolling back the NVidia driver. But the WhoCrashed analysis said that no offending third party drivers were found. I was wondering if anyone had any other advice, or knew of this problem.

WhoCrashed output

On Sat 2/8/2020 16:57:22 your computer crashed or a problem was reported crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\020820-7046-01.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1C14E0) Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x3, 0xFFFFC00F6AA55060, 0xFFFFE3069123F7B0, 0xFFFFC0005A46BDE0) Error: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System company: Microsoft Corporation description: NT Kernel & System Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state. A device object has been blocking an IRP for too long a time. This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
    The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.
    --------------------------------------------
    On Sat 2/8/2020 16:39:07 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
    crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\020820-7031-01.dmp This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x1C14E0) Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x3, 0xFFFFAB0EEC5CA570, 0xFFFFE68A84E4F7B0, 0xFFFFAB0EF37CB8A0)
    Error: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
    product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System company: Microsoft Corporation
    description: NT Kernel & System
    Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state. A device object has been blocking an IRP for too long a time.
    This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
    The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

:)

SoulOnFire, Feb 9, 2020

2. The light on the power button stays on even after shut down.

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per your description, I understand that the light on the power button stays on even after shut down.

We will assist you to resolve the issue.

This issue may arise due to various reasons:

• System not properly shut down or might be in sleep mode.

• Power cord connected to the device.

• Change in the settings.
    I would appreciate if you could answer few questions to narrow down to the issue.

• What is the make and model of the computer?

• Did you make any recent changes to the settings?

• Does the CPU fan spins after the shutdown?
    As an initial troubleshooting step, (if you are using a laptop).

Unplug the charger from the lap top and check if the issue persists and also try to shut down from the lock screen.

If the issue persists, I suggest you to run the Power troubleshooter and check if it helps.

Follow these steps to run Power troubleshooter:

1. Type troubleshooting in the search bar.

2. Select Troubleshooting.

3. Select View all on the top left corner.

4. Click on Power.

5. Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.

6. Check if issue persists.

Hope the information helps. Let us know if you need further assistance. We will be happy to help.

Thank you.

Krishna Prasobh V, Feb 9, 2020
  3. Ernie San Win User
    hibernate, but shuts down

Hello,

We suggest to manually setup hibernation on your computer. You may follow the steps below:

• Right-click on your desktop and select Personalize.
    • Click Lock screen>Screen saver settings>Change power settings>Choose what the power buttons do.

• Change the settings When I press the power button, click
      hibernate.
    • Click Save changes.
    Keep us posted.

Regards.

Ernie San, Feb 9, 2020
  4. Tom6505 Win User

Laptop fails to hibernate, display shuts off, power button stays on

Display shuts down and computer sleeps or hibernates

New laptop with Windows 10. Display shuts down and computer sleeps or hibernates within a couple of minutes, to activate we have to hit the keyboard but then reenter the password. This is very annoying when trying to work and answer phone. Cannot seem
    to control this with the power settings to extend the time this is happening. Anyone have suggestions to correct??

Tom6505, Feb 9, 2020
Thema:

Laptop fails to hibernate, display shuts off, power button stays on

1. Laptop fails to hibernate, display shuts off, power button stays on - Similar Threads - Laptop fails hibernate

2. How to power up laptop with lid closed? From hibernate or shut off.

in Windows 10 Support
    How to power up laptop with lid closed? From hibernate or shut off.: Hello, first post here. I use my laptop with the lid closed, connected to an external monitor. Is there a way to power up the PC while it is shut off or in hibernation mode without opening the laptop? I have the laptop on a dock so it would be preferred to keep it closed. I...
  3. How to power up laptop with lid closed? From hibernate or shut off.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    How to power up laptop with lid closed? From hibernate or shut off.: Hello, first post here. I use my laptop with the lid closed, connected to an external monitor. Is there a way to power up the PC while it is shut off or in hibernation mode without opening the laptop? I have the laptop on a dock so it would be preferred to keep it closed. I...
  4. Hibernate turns off screen but power stays on

Hibernate turns off screen but power stays on: Hello. I have a Lenovo Yoga 730 laptop with Windows 10. Hibernate used to work on my laptop. However, now it only turns off my screen my screen goes black and the power stays on my power button's light remains on. If I touch my touch pad or press any key, then the screen...
  5. power button and hibernate query

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    power button and hibernate query: When I quickly press the Power Button on my laptop, it is set to go into Hibernate. Two times lately, it seemingly is going into Hibernate, the machine powers down and suddenly it comes right back out of what should be Hibernate. The first time it did this, I rebooted the...
  6. Adding Hibernate option to power button - fails

Adding Hibernate option to power button - fails: On a Dell Inspirion 15 3567 hibernate is not available as an option for the power button. This remains true even after following the tutorial and updating the registry (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FlyoutMenuSettings). Am I out of...
  7. Laptop fails to hibernate, display shuts off, power button stays on, BSODs after five minutes

Laptop fails to hibernate, display shuts off, power button stays on, BSODs after five minutes: Laptop: MSI GT73RE Titan Windows 10 Pro x64 1909 GeForce GTX 1070 As of recently last week will not go in to hibernate. After a restart, it usually will the first time or two. But after that, the screen will shut off, the power and GPU buttonswill still be lit, and the PC...
  8. Windows 10 PC powers on by itself after hibernating, stays off if shut down

Windows 10 PC powers on by itself after hibernating, stays off if shut down: I have a self-built PC, motherboard: Biostar TPower I55 CPU: Core I5 750 @ 2.67Ghz Windows 10 Pro 10.0.17763 When the PC is shut down completely, using "Shut down" from the start menu, the PC stays turned off. When the PC is hibernated, using "Hibernate" from the...
  9. Power Off button vs. Shut Down button on screen.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Power Off button vs. Shut Down button on screen.: Is there any problems using the 'power-button' on the tower vs. using the 'Shut Down' button on screen. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/power-off-button-vs-shut-down-button-on-screen/b9c98a3c-b0d5-4436-8acd-39788bab7209
  10. How To Shut Off Complete Power On Hibernate

in Windows 10 Support
    How To Shut Off Complete Power On Hibernate: Hello, Every time I Hibernate the computer, the external USB mini hard disk drive turns off, yet the LED flashes on & off until I bring back the computer from Hibernate. Also, I have an old school 3rd-party iPod Video dock connector that has a green LED light on it. That...