Windows 10: Laptop freezes and has to be forced shut down and rebooted.

Discus and support Laptop freezes and has to be forced shut down and rebooted. in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hello, I have had this problem since day one with windows 10 and its about to force me back to windows 7. Random times when working on my laptop it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by lfish21, Aug 15, 2015.

1. lfish21 Win User

Laptop freezes and has to be forced shut down and rebooted.

Hello,

I have had this problem since day one with windows 10 and its about to force me back to windows 7. Random times when working on my laptop it will just freeze. If there is something playing be it music or youtube it will make a god awful noise through the speakers.

My laptop is an older laptop and dell says it does not support windows 10. I upgraded all my drivers including the bios.

Any other suggestions or is this a live with it or downgrade?

I have not tried a clean install yet. Would prefer not to if possible but it may be a last resort.

:)

lfish21, Aug 15, 2015
  2. lionium Win User

Problems after installing the update KB4056891

Hi,

after installing the update KB4056891 Windows 10 asks me to reboot my laptop. After 30% of processing the update the laptop begins to reboot and freezes at the black screen with blue Windows logo. Only the forced shut down and start up force the Windows
    to roll back this update. After logging in this update is donwloaded one more time, and the Windows asks me to reboot my laptop...

The manual installation of this update doesn't resolve this issue. For now I just turned off the update function.

What should I do in this case?

Regards

Roman

lionium, Aug 15, 2015
  3. HiKhris Win User
    LAPTOP FREEZES RANDOMLY

Hello Community,

As my title says, my laptop freezes randomly.

I have tried so many ways, but didn't go well.

The laptop freezes randomly, I can't do anything about it except force it to shut down by long pressing the power button.

Can't put it to sleep, can't use the crtl+alt+del, nothing.

Could it be a hardware problem?

Very frustrated with it freezing up on me randomly, and I believe it hurts the computer too with force shut down,

please help!

Thank you!

HiKhris, Aug 15, 2015
  4. YawnGod Win User

I have this same problem, except my laptop is new.

I've been troubleshooting this on my laptop for maybe the past month, more or less since I've gotten it. For me, at least it's:

NOT an overheating problem.
    NOT a CPU overclocking problem.
    NOT an SSD problem.
    NOT a HDD problem.
    NOT a USB problem.
    NOT exclusive to Windows 10 (it happened when I had Windows 7 before I upgraded).

There is no consensus as to what causes this freezing/audio stutter/buzzing. Right now I'm testing with a different power supply. I'm actually hoping it's the PSU, because I really don't want to even think it has something to do with the motherboard.

If it ends up being a driver problem (which I am doubtful it is), I wonder how Windows 10 automatic driver downloads will cause issues if driver rollbacks are necessary.

Anyway, we're basically shit out of luck. Don't expect to get any real advice, since there basically is none to be had. To actually address your post, I don't think you need to do a clean install. I've done various clean installs, both of Windows 7 and 10, and I still get this issue, so it's not (I don't think) an OS or driver issue. But maybe it is. No one knows.

Really frustrating.

YawnGod, Aug 16, 2015
  5. YawnGod Win User
    It's not a PSU problem.

Might actually be a driver problem, since I doubt that I got 2 equally defective motherboards. That would be really unlucky.

Which driver? Who knows. There is no BSOD, so can't see which driver fails.

YawnGod, Aug 16, 2015
  6. ricorp Win User
    Check the Event Viewer under the System category. Use filtering to show only the events within a specific timeframe. It might not tell you explicitly what caused the freezing but it will give you an idea of how such a scenario started. From there, with some trial and error, you should be able to figure out how to effectively reproduce it and find a solution for it.

ricorp, Aug 16, 2015
  7. I have a similar problem with a Dell Precision 490 (I know, not a laptop) and I am sure the same issues cross over. Whenever I open a video either in a News clip from (lets say, the BBC) or even in Facebook (Wimp etc) there are times when the PC just grinds to a standstill and cannot be rebooted / restarted without a powerdown? I have contemplated a new graphics card but I feel sure this is a simpler fixable bug. Can anyone help?

Tonanti216, Aug 16, 2015
  8. YawnGod Win User

What does this mean, "grinds to a standstill"? I'm not an IT technician, but this is very untechnical language.

Does it freeze with an audio loop (e.g., with hard drive activity)? Does it freeze without an audio loop (e.g., all lights turn off except for the power on LED)?

YawnGod, Aug 16, 2015
  9. First of all I should apologise for my little colloquialism, "grinds to a standstill", which of course is quite common parlance in England and simply means - Stopped! In my case it means, stops mid video playback with the PC failing to respond in all ways. The display remains at the point where the application stopped, there is no sound, the mouse and keyboard are inactive and the only way to get out of this dilemma is to press and hold the on/off switch until the machine stops and then I restart it. All is well with the world until I mistakenly let a video run again. This is usually when playing video clip from within Facebook or any news channel, I have not tried it with Youtube yet.

I hope this helps?

*really

Tonanti216, Aug 17, 2015
  10. YawnGod Win User
    Lol. Just lol.

My computer actually froze and shut down *during* a blue screen memory dump.

Jesus Christ. It's like computer inception.

I'm really starting to hate technology.

YawnGod, Aug 18, 2015
  11. You still have the option of an in-place upgrade to repair your install. The installer (Media Creation Tool) will update to include the latest patch, which in my case has resolved several issues I was having with the clean install from July 29th. You'll have the option to keep setting, files, apps and programs (this is what I did).

fracking4oil, Aug 18, 2015
  12. YawnGod Win User
    Maybe. I've installed Linux and so far no freezes, so it indeed is probably a software issue, which is a relief.

What were your issues?

YawnGod, Aug 20, 2015
  13. Laptop freezes and has to be forced shut down and rebooted.

I think it's Flash causing most issues..... some, not all video seems to be ok but I still had a frozen PC on one vid last night..... I have installed the latest fixes (well they installed themselves at 03:30 the day before yesterday! )

Tonanti216, Aug 20, 2015
  14. I have the same problem with my laptop only when it goes into an audio loop i plug in the charger and i turn it around and it unfreezes for a short amount of time i have no clue what is happening cuz my laptop has to stay in the same place if i want it to work

william123, Aug 17, 2016
  15. The same thing happened with mine.

DuNamarSundavar, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Laptop freezes and has to be forced shut down and rebooted. - Similar Threads - Laptop freezes has

2. PC Freezing after playing games force shut down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC Freezing after playing games force shut down: First of all my specs:ProcessorIntelR CoreTM i5-9400F CPU @ 2.90GHzVideo CardNVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660Operating SystemWindows 10RAM16 GBI dont know what to do, im playing games like for 1 hour then randomly it crashes. No sound, my monitor is stop working and the only thing i...
  3. PC Freezing after playing games force shut down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    PC Freezing after playing games force shut down: First of all my specs:ProcessorIntelR CoreTM i5-9400F CPU @ 2.90GHzVideo CardNVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660Operating SystemWindows 10RAM16 GBI dont know what to do, im playing games like for 1 hour then randomly it crashes. No sound, my monitor is stop working and the only thing i...
  4. PC Freezing after playing games force shut down

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Laptop always freezes, nothing can be done except force shut down

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop always freezes, nothing can be done except force shut down: For a few months, my laptop has been freezing randomly with no way of fixing it other than force shut down.Yes, I sent the laptop to a repair shop and they said my laptop was gaming and that it should not be freezing.They even told me to not open too many tabs at once to...
  6. Laptop always freezes, nothing can be done except force shut down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop always freezes, nothing can be done except force shut down: For a few months, my laptop has been freezing randomly with no way of fixing it other than force shut down.Yes, I sent the laptop to a repair shop and they said my laptop was gaming and that it should not be freezing.They even told me to not open too many tabs at once to...
  7. Laptop always freezes, nothing can be done except force shut down

8. Surface laptop 3 keeps freezing up and needing to force shut down

Surface laptop 3 keeps freezing up and needing to force shut down: My surface laptop 3 i5/8/256 has been having frequent freezes while I was doing my work. I would be typing up a document and it would just freeze and not work at all. I have had to force shut down the laptop and turn it on again for it to work. I need help as soon as possible...
  9. Computer screens randomly freezing, have to force shut down and reboot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Computer screens randomly freezing, have to force shut down and reboot: Hi. First of all I'd like to apologize if I'm vague or unclear at any point. English isn't my first language but I will attempt to explain everything as good as I can. Windows Version Number: 1903 (OS Build 18362.418) For a few months now my computer has been randomly fully...
  10. Can't startup after freeze and force shut down

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't startup after freeze and force shut down: Windows 10 froze suddenly when I went through the search results tabs of a search done on torrent-finder.info. I was using Firefox (latest version). My fear is that I may have come across a dodgy website which caused the freeze. My Keepass Passwords Database was open at the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. laptop freezes and has to be shutdown

2. my laptop freezes without an audio loop (e.g. all lights turn off except for the power on led)?

3. laptop freezes and have to force shutdown help