Windows 10: Laptop freezes randomly sometimes and requires a restart, but rarely when playing some games

Discus and support Laptop freezes randomly sometimes and requires a restart, but rarely when playing some games in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hi I've had this issue that appeared with my laptop a while ago now and I've tried to fix it but have ended up just living with it really. Hopefully... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by Dubiology, Nov 10, 2020.

1. Dubiology Win User

Laptop freezes randomly sometimes and requires a restart, but rarely when playing some games

Hi I've had this issue that appeared with my laptop a while ago now and I've tried to fix it but have ended up just living with it really. Hopefully one of you will be able to help.

At seemingly random times and seemingly randomly often, my laptop will crash. This crash is completed and requires a restart when it happens to get any functionality at all can't even move mouse cursor, usb power still works though. When the crash happens if there is sound playing at the time there is a <5 second long harsh buzzing noise which then goes.

The weird thing about this is I've noticed when playing certain games, it tends not to crash which has resulted in me windowing certain games like Dark Souls 3 always even while doing other stuff. However, this issue still happens and tends to happen more while windowed. Some games have zero effect on the crash and some work decently well but I've found DS3 to be the best. Weirder still, sometimes the crash just doesn't happen for ages, even without a game running, and I'll come back to my laptop after being out for a weekend or something, and it'll still be functioning, although it tends to crash soon after coming back, even after being away for like 48 hours. Sometimes the crash doesn't happen for like a week, and then sometimes it happens before I can even log into Windows using a PIN on an SSD.

If anyone could offer some advice I'd be v grateful.

Hardware is:

i7-7700HQ

GTX 1050 ti

16gb RAM SODIMM idk which brand installed by previous user

Samsung SSD 860 EVO installed by previous user

:)

Dubiology, Nov 10, 2020

2. Xbox Play anywhere games

I uninstalled and re-installed the game. The freezing is still happening.

David-Murica, Nov 10, 2020
  3. Laptop FREEZES randomly!

HI,

I have a HCL laptop with Intel core i5(m520),4 gb ram ddr3 1333Mhz, 512 gb hdd, every update installed on windows 10(non-insider).My laptop freezes randomly while working, the mouse works but every thing else behind freezes also in game like half life 2,
    etc it freezes and starts repeating the sounds (for example: go,go,go,go) till the laptop recovers but if a level in the game is repeated i.e. played again and again it doesn't freezes and runs smooth.I think my laptop freezes when I am doing new things which
    are not repeated, please help!

Also I have tried all other methods like running "scf /scannow" in cmd, troubleshoot, etc.

Please help!

Thanks.

Abhijeet singla, Nov 10, 2020
  4. Roohi_Taj Win User

Laptop freezes randomly sometimes and requires a restart, but rarely when playing some games

Can't play Hit It Rich game and system freezes

Hi carmenstanley1,

Thank you for your response.

I can understand how frustrating it would be. This issue might be due to corrupted profile or if the game is not installed completely. I suggest you to follow these steps and let us know if it works.

Could you please help me with the below questions:

• Are you aware of any changes happened on the computer prior to this issue?
    • Have you tried playing this game on other browser (Google chrome or Mozilla) and check for the issue?

Step 1: Uninstall or Repair the game.

1. Press Windows and
      R key together on your Keyboard.
    2. Type appwiz.cpl and hit enter.
    3. Right click on the Hit it Rich app > Select Repair or uninstall it.
    4. Reinstall the application and check for the issue.

Step 2: Create a new local account.

The reason might be due to user account corruption, so I would suggest you to ‘Create
    a local user or administrator account’
    and check if the issue persists.

Note: You will not see all your files under your default file location.
    So your data will be saved under C:\Users\User_name.

If you are facing issues with freezing, I would suggest you to follow the troubleshooting steps on
    Tips to improve PC performance in Windows

Hope it helps.

Roohi Taj S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Roohi_Taj, Nov 10, 2020
Thema:

1. Laptop freezes randomly sometimes and requires a restart, but rarely when playing some games - Similar Threads - Laptop freezes randomly

2. My Computer Freezes sometimes when playing Games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Computer Freezes sometimes when playing Games: Hello, I have been having this issue for a long time. I have tried many options such as: Update your driversClear your temp filesRun a memory checkAdjust the size of your virtual memoryRun System File CheckerCheck for viruses and malwareBut none of these worked. I have fully...
  3. My Computer Freezes sometimes when playing Games

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My Computer Freezes sometimes when playing Games: Hello, I have been having this issue for a long time. I have tried many options such as: Update your driversClear your temp filesRun a memory checkAdjust the size of your virtual memoryRun System File CheckerCheck for viruses and malwareBut none of these worked. I have fully...
  4. PC keep freezing randomly and when I play some games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PC keep freezing randomly and when I play some games: I have run a dskchk on my windows drive and the test came back fine. Some of my games freeze and some don't. sometimes when i turn it off it will turn on but still say no signal...
  5. PC keep freezing randomly and when I play some games

PC keep freezing randomly and when I play some games: I have run a dskchk on my windows drive and the test came back fine. Some of my games freeze and some don't. sometimes when i turn it off it will turn on but still say no signal...
  6. PC keep freezing randomly and when I play some games

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. Random restart when playing games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Random restart when playing games: this problem had been persist for 1 year, my pc sometime suddenly restart when playing games. tried all things including replacing the PSU but no change at all. here i present my event logs and my pc data, hope you can help....
  8. Random restart when playing games

Random restart when playing games: this problem had been persist for 1 year, my pc sometime suddenly restart when playing games. tried all things including replacing the PSU but no change at all. here i present my event logs and my pc data, hope you can help....
  9. Windows 10 sometimes takes forever to startup + rare random freezes

Windows 10 sometimes takes forever to startup + rare random freezes: Hello, I have had many problems with this computer. Before I reinstalled Windows 10 on it, it had near constant BSODs which sometime would then mysteriously go away for a few months and come back. BSODs were memory management and system exception and such, multiple reasons...
  10. Pc freezed randomly when playing game mostly then restarts

Pc freezed randomly when playing game mostly then restarts: Hello, I recently came accross a problem with my pc, it's a custom build and everything was fine until about a month ago, my pc would restart when I exited a game or it would restart when I played it. It freezes for like 10 seconds then restarts and takes forever to start up...