Windows 10: Laptop freezes sometimes when it is connected to an external monitor

Discus and support Laptop freezes sometimes when it is connected to an external monitor in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hello, my problem started like a few months ago when my Laptop just suddenly froze. I feel like it happens random, but im not 100% convinced only... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by brogleartur, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Laptop freezes sometimes when it is connected to an external monitor

Hello,

my problem started like a few months ago when my Laptop just suddenly froze. I feel like it happens random, but im not 100% convinced only when I'm using it while its connected to my external monitor. I have tried updating all drivers, switching from HDMI to DP and also completely resetting my Laptop.

My Laptop is an MSI GL73 8RE with Windows 10 x64 bit

with an NVIDIA GTX 1060

and an Intel Core i7-8750HCPU 2.20Ghz

the Monitor Alienware AW3418DW

:)

brogleartur, Apr 26, 2020
  2. AJMazza Win User

Surface Laptop 3 with external monitor

Hi All,

Has anyone come across an issue with an external monitor blacking out while connected to a Surface Laptop 3? I have the laptop connected to a widescreen laptop with the Surface Dock. Both work fine however, once every hour or so the external monitor blacks out and comes back.

I've completed the following:

• Updated laptop drivers and firmware
      • Updated monitor drivers
      • Swapped out monitor
    [/LIST]

AJMazza, Apr 26, 2020
  3. LemP Win User
    connection problems External Monitor for laptop

If you're trying to use a wired external monitor is it connected to the laptop's HDMI output connector or the mini DisplayPort connector?

If you're using a wired external monitor and don't see any output, right-click on an empty spot on the Desktop and select Screen Resolution -> Detect

In addition, you may need to press the F7 key and select the mode in which the display will function. There are 4 modes:

• Disconnect (or Computer only): display only on the laptop's screen
    • Duplicate: the same display on the laptop's screen and the external monitor
    • Extend: extends the output so that you can drag things from one screen to the other
    • Projector only (or Second Screen Only): displays only on the external monitor

Or are you trying to use wireless (Wi-Di or Miracast)?

4. Chrise Win User

Laptop freezes sometimes when it is connected to an external monitor

Laptop External Monitor Problem

Thank you once again, I will explain:

• Today 10th November 2016 - After monitor eventually successfully connects to my HP laptop, in my absence when the laptop/monitor powers off, I get NO re-connection problems during the day
    • Tomorrow 11th November 2016 - After laptop and monitor has been restarted following, shut-down, power offs(laptop + monitor) I will be stuck once again with exactly the same problem

In my display settings each morning, my HP laptop shows it is connected to my external monitor, however there is no display on the external monitor for a vast amount of time, just randomly suddenly appears.?

Chrise, Apr 26, 2020
Thema:

Laptop freezes sometimes when it is connected to an external monitor

1. Laptop freezes sometimes when it is connected to an external monitor - Similar Threads - Laptop freezes sometimes

2. Laptop Display Not Rotating Automatically When External Monitor Connected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop Display Not Rotating Automatically When External Monitor Connected: Hi all,So I was trying to use my laptop monitor in portrait mode while I have a monitor connected to the device but I noticed that the display would not auto rotate into the portrait mode. Setting the 'Display Orientation' was also greyed out.I was able to force it to rotate...
  3. Laptop Display Not Rotating Automatically When External Monitor Connected

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop Display Not Rotating Automatically When External Monitor Connected: Hi all,So I was trying to use my laptop monitor in portrait mode while I have a monitor connected to the device but I noticed that the display would not auto rotate into the portrait mode. Setting the 'Display Orientation' was also greyed out.I was able to force it to rotate...
  4. Connecting an external monitor to my hp laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Connecting an external monitor to my hp laptop: I need help connecting a Samsung monitor to my hp laptop. I did everything correctly and it's not connecting. What else can I do. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/connecting-an-external-monitor-to-my-hp-laptop/271aaf23-8305-4175-835c-9cae9dece960
  5. Connecting an external monitor to my hp laptop

Connecting an external monitor to my hp laptop: I need help connecting a Samsung monitor to my hp laptop. I did everything correctly and it's not connecting. What else can I do. Thanks https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/connecting-an-external-monitor-to-my-hp-laptop/271aaf23-8305-4175-835c-9cae9dece960
  6. External monitor is not connecting

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External monitor is not connecting: I recently bought an external monitor Acer Nitro QG221Q 21.5 Inch for my Lenovo IdeaPad Slim 3. But when I used to connect it to it is blank. What should I do?Any suggestions will be appreciated.Thanks in advance!!...
  7. External monitor is not connecting

External monitor is not connecting: I recently bought an external monitor Acer Nitro QG221Q 21.5 Inch for my Lenovo IdeaPad Slim 3. But when I used to connect it to it is blank. What should I do?Any suggestions will be appreciated.Thanks in advance!!...
  8. Connect external monitor

in Windows 10 Customization
    Connect external monitor: How can I connect an external monitor to my new laptop with VGA to HDMI cable? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/connect-external-monitor/9e79dcc5-5257-4f83-999a-40af6632e4e6
  9. 'No signal' on external monitor when connected to laptop via HDMI

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    'No signal' on external monitor when connected to laptop via HDMI: Hi, I've just updated my laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 10. When I plug my laptop into my LG 4K TV or an external monitor using an HDMI cable there's a "No signal" message on the monitor/TV. Prior to updating to Windows 10 I used to be able to plug it in via HDMI to the TV...
  10. 'No signal' on external monitor when connected to laptop via HDMI

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    'No signal' on external monitor when connected to laptop via HDMI: 'No signal' on external monitor when connected to laptop via HDMI Hi, I've just updated my laptop from Windows 7 to Windows 10. When I plug my laptop into my LG 4K TV or an external monitor using an HDMI cable there's a "No signal" message on the monitor/TV. Prior to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. why does my laptop hang when connected to a monitor