Windows 10: Laptop freezing on 'Choose an Operating System'

Discus and support Laptop freezing on 'Choose an Operating System' in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm trying to switch from an M.2 SSD to a SATA SSD on my MSI GS60, so I have installed Windows 10 Home on the new SSD, and it has picked up the digital... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DangerousDave2k, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Laptop freezing on 'Choose an Operating System'

I'm trying to switch from an M.2 SSD to a SATA SSD on my MSI GS60, so I have installed Windows 10 Home on the new SSD, and it has picked up the digital licence - however, there is some strange behaviour: Every time I boot, it comes up with a 'Choose your Operating System' screen, which is fine, except if I don't move the cursor, the system locks up after about 3 seconds (on 28 or 27 seconds on the timer) i.e. no BSOD or error screen, just a frozen picture. If I move the cursor in time, I can select the required OS and it seems to work fine.

Does anybody know the cause of this problem and how to fix it?

:)

DangerousDave2k, Feb 22, 2018

2. Choose an operating system loop

Hi Maria,

With regard to your query, we suggest that you perform a repair install using Windows 10 Media Creation tool.

Download Media Creation tool.

Use the link and follow the instructions to perform a repair install.

Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help.

Rafael Com, Feb 22, 2018
  3. Choose an operating system loop

Three days ago I reseted my laptop becuase it would freeze whenever I tried to log in. I selected the option to keep my files.

After windows reinstalled, my laptop stayed in a black screen for several minutes so I turned it off and when I turned it on, the blue screen with the words "Choose an operating system" appeared. The are three options. Two of them are Windows 10 (on volume
    2) and the other one says Windows 10 (Home). When I choose any of the Windows 10 (on volume 2) my laptop restarts and then the blue screen with the words "Choose an operating system" appears again, and if I choose Windows 10 (home), it restarts and then it
    freezes.

I tried to reset my laptop again, but it says that there was an error.

If anyone knows what to do. Please help me. I had a very important file in my laptop.

Maria Flores V., Feb 22, 2018
  4. spunk Win User

Laptop freezing on 'Choose an Operating System'

Press the Win key+S in the search box type msconfig and press enter. Go to the Boot tab. Try increasing the Timeout from 30 seconds to 60 seconds. See if that helps.

spunk, Feb 22, 2018
Thema:

Laptop freezing on 'Choose an Operating System'

1. Laptop freezing on 'Choose an Operating System' - Similar Threads - Laptop freezing 'Choose

2. operating system

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    operating system: whenever I try to open a word document it says the operating system is not configured to open this document. What do I have to do to open my word documents? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/operating-system/c4038303-90c0-4db4-a2de-f75eaf6bc74d
  3. Operating system maintenance, laptop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Operating system maintenance, laptop: Hello, Dear Sir / Madam, please let me know how to make a maintenance of the laptop operating system. I mention that I installed Windows 10 Home licensed laptop on my laptop. Wait for response! A day as quiet as possible! God bless!...
  4. Removing an unwanted "choose an operation system option".

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Removing an unwanted "choose an operation system option".: How can I remove an operating system entry from "choose an operating system" option at startup. I've manually deleted those extra operating systems but didn't knew that it would cause this problem. It only shows up here, I can not find any other files of Prime OS and Phoenix...
  5. How to stop 'Choose an Operating System' in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to stop 'Choose an Operating System' in Windows 10: This message appears every time I start my Acer laptop. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start/how-to-stop-choose-an-operating-system-in-windows/2876319a-35c8-4da5-84e4-2f37ecb336bb
  6. Choose an operating system between Windows 10 and Windows 10?

Choose an operating system between Windows 10 and Windows 10?: Whenever I boot up it asks me to choose between Windows 10 on volume 1 or Windows 10. Here's a screen grab: https://i.imgur.com/D7Y2o2O.jpg And here's a screen grab of my partitions: https://i.imgur.com/25U94HI.png Perhaps my mSATA drive has some Windows OS files on it? I...
  7. "Choose Operating System" Screen Dim (sometimes)

in Windows 10 Support
    "Choose Operating System" Screen Dim (sometimes): Why is it the little things that seem to bother us (at least me!) the most. When I start up my Dell laptop I get the opening blue screen with the "Choose Operating System" information. I have Macrium Reflect installed so I get the Windows 10 choice as well as the Macrium...
  8. No operating system

No operating system: Hii, I had formatted my C: drive accidentally. I have windows 10 pen drive but I am not able to install windows 10. Please help me. 79718
  9. Choose Default Operating System to Run at Startup in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Tutorials
    Choose Default Operating System to Run at Startup in Windows 10: If you have more than one operating system installed on your PC, then you will have 30 seconds by default to choose an operating system to run before the default operating system runs automatically. Would this also apply if a Linux OS was installed after Windows 10, or,...
  10. "Choose an Operating System" - NO Mouse, No Arrow Keys

in Windows 10 Support
    "Choose an Operating System" - NO Mouse, No Arrow Keys: [Windows 10 Pro; Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P Rev 2.0 mobo; 8GB RAM; Team L3 240GB SSD.] Both mice and my keyboard work perfectly after my system boots to the logon screen. My mice were definitely working perfectly about a month ago when I tested my desktop PC to make sure I...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows freezes before choosing operating system