Windows 10: Laptop freezing on 'Choose an Operating System'

Discus and support Laptop freezing on 'Choose an Operating System' in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm trying to switch from an M.2 SSD to a SATA SSD on my MSI GS60, so I have installed Windows 10 Home on the new SSD, and it has picked up the digital... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by DangerousDave2k, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Laptop freezing on 'Choose an Operating System'

I'm trying to switch from an M.2 SSD to a SATA SSD on my MSI GS60, so I have installed Windows 10 Home on the new SSD, and it has picked up the digital licence - however, there is some strange behaviour: Every time I boot, it comes up with a 'Choose your Operating System' screen, which is fine, except if I don't move the cursor, the system locks up after about 3 seconds (on 28 or 27 seconds on the timer) i.e. no BSOD or error screen, just a frozen picture. If I move the cursor in time, I can select the required OS and it seems to work fine.

Does anybody know the cause of this problem and how to fix it?

:)

DangerousDave2k, Feb 22, 2018

2. Choose an operating system loop

Hi Maria,

With regard to your query, we suggest that you perform a repair install using Windows 10 Media Creation tool.

Download Media Creation tool.

Use the link and follow the instructions to perform a repair install.

Let us know if there is anything else we can do to help.

Rafael Com, Feb 22, 2018
  3. Choose an operating system loop

Three days ago I reseted my laptop becuase it would freeze whenever I tried to log in. I selected the option to keep my files.

After windows reinstalled, my laptop stayed in a black screen for several minutes so I turned it off and when I turned it on, the blue screen with the words "Choose an operating system" appeared. The are three options. Two of them are Windows 10 (on volume
    2) and the other one says Windows 10 (Home). When I choose any of the Windows 10 (on volume 2) my laptop restarts and then the blue screen with the words "Choose an operating system" appears again, and if I choose Windows 10 (home), it restarts and then it
    freezes.

I tried to reset my laptop again, but it says that there was an error.

If anyone knows what to do. Please help me. I had a very important file in my laptop.

Maria Flores V., Feb 22, 2018
  4. spunk Win User

Laptop freezing on 'Choose an Operating System'

Press the Win key+S in the search box type msconfig and press enter. Go to the Boot tab. Try increasing the Timeout from 30 seconds to 60 seconds. See if that helps.

spunk, Feb 22, 2018
Thema:

Laptop freezing on 'Choose an Operating System'

1. Laptop freezing on 'Choose an Operating System' - Similar Threads - Laptop freezing 'Choose

2. CHOOSE AN OPERATING SYSTEM

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    CHOOSE AN OPERATING SYSTEM: I am stucked at choose an operating system? Like when I m choosing a operating system going back to choose an operating system page. Tried everything system repair failed. System reset stucked at reseting. Please help me asap what I can do to fix it. Thanks...
  3. CHOOSE AN OPERATING SYSTEM

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CHOOSE AN OPERATING SYSTEM: I am stucked at choose an operating system? Like when I m choosing a operating system going back to choose an operating system page. Tried everything system repair failed. System reset stucked at reseting. Please help me asap what I can do to fix it. Thanks...
  4. CHOOSE AN OPERATING SYSTEM

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. choose an operating system step

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    choose an operating system step: how can i address the step CHOOSE AN OPERATING SYSTEM with options [ ]win11 on volume 9 of [ ]win11 on volume 3? I tried to clone my win11 system disk. It led me to this step....
  6. Can't choose operating system.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't choose operating system.: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Ok_Analyst8190 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/tq7fwm/cant_choose_operating_system/
  7. Prompt for Choose an operating system

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Prompt for Choose an operating system: Hi,I get a prompt to Choose an operating system when I login. See image:https://imgur.com/HR01dQzIt's been a bit, but I believe that old install was causing me grief corrupt or some other so I did a fresh install on larger ssd. However, I never correctly removed that old...
  8. Prompt for Choose an operating system

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Prompt for Choose an operating system: Hi,I get a prompt to Choose an operating system when I login. See image:https://imgur.com/HR01dQzIt's been a bit, but I believe that old install was causing me grief corrupt or some other so I did a fresh install on larger ssd. However, I never correctly removed that old...
  9. Choose an Operating System

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Choose an Operating System: After I reset this PC, is a laptop Toshiba, befor the logon Toshiba show up a screen that say Choose an operating System,that show windows 10 is on volume 4,i only have windows 10.not other operating system,how can i fix it...
  10. Choose an operating system loop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Choose an operating system loop: Hi Having serious problems. When I turn my PC on I get the BIOS screen, then short while after a blue screen with “Choose an operating system”. There are two options that are the same windows 10 on volume 2 windows 10 on volume 2 the PC then starts over again...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows freezes before choosing operating system