Windows 10: Laptop goes to sleep as soon as screen turns off

Discus and support Laptop goes to sleep as soon as screen turns off in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I've had an Asus Vivobook for a couple of months now, after spending nearly 10 years using the same Toshiba netbook running Windows 7. Overall it's a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/blahblah96WasTaken, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Laptop goes to sleep as soon as screen turns off

I've had an Asus Vivobook for a couple of months now, after spending nearly 10 years using the same Toshiba netbook running Windows 7. Overall it's a great laptop but I cannot for the life of me figure out this problem, and I'm not sure if it's Windows-10-specific or Asus-specific.

On my old netbook I'd had it set to turn the screen off after 1 minute and to go to sleep after 5 minutes. This worked exactly as you'd expect it to, and I have the Vivobook set to do the same. With the Vivobook, the screen will turn off after 1 minute like normal, but for whatever reason, it also goes to sleep at the same time, instead of going to sleep after 5 minutes.

Disabling the screen-off timer and instead putting just a sleep timer causes it to never go to sleep at all. Running powercfg /energy in an elevated command prompt gives the results that no sleep timer is set, even though the power settings in both the Control Panel and the Windows 10 settings menu are set to 5 minutes. Even if I set it to sleep after 1 minute, it will never go to sleep if I don't close the lid.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is there something I'm missing that can fix this?

submitted by /u/blahblah96WasTaken
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/blahblah96WasTaken, Oct 18, 2020

2. Windows goes to sleep to soon

I have an ASUS laptop with Win 10 and a problem with the power settings.

In Control Panel -> Power Options the "Turn of the display" time is set to 30 min and the "Put the computer to sleep" to 1h for "Plugged in" (for "on battery" it's 20 min / 30 min). Nonetheless the laptop goes to a sleep like state after only a couple minutes.
    The screen turns black and the fans turn off. I have to move the mouse a lot or press a key, I then get to the lock screen and need to enter my password to continue working. It's not the screensaver though.

It happens after approx 2-3 min of inactivity. It's very annoying, since it's after such a short time period, that this happens for example when I'm reading a long article or thinking about a problem for just a little too long. Once it's trigger there is
    also no way to interrupt it, it will go all the way till the screen is off and the fans out.

I tried already everything I could think of, but no luck. I even reinstalled Win 10.

The only thing I could achieve was to get to an always on mode. By making a new power profile based on the "Performance profile" and setting the "Turn of the display" and "Put the computer to sleep" both to Never. But having the PC never go to sleep or
    hibernation is also not what I want.

Is there some other setting that could trigger the going to sleep? Or is there a way to find out why it is going to sleep?

JochenStehle, Oct 18, 2020
  3. WillM6 Win User
    Laptop goes to sleep whenever screen turns off

My Asus Zenbook ux430ua-dh74 goes to sleep whenever the screen goes off. I have my screen timeout and enter sleep mode at different intervals. The computer sleeps when I manually turn the screen off. I have tried looking in the power management settings
    and there are no options to rectify this issue. This happens whether or not the pc is plugged in, on or off battery saver mode.

I would very much like to be able to listen to youtube videos or my own music files whilst having the screen off to preserve battery life but am cut off from this ability.

Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated.

WM

WillM6, Oct 18, 2020
  4. Laptop goes to sleep as soon as screen turns off

Laptop with broken screen How much?

I would like suggestions and look in local stores. I dont wanna buy a laptop from someone online. Sorry. But could be a good idea if you asked him about the performance on older games. Gonna make a list ofall laptops people suggest me.

Remove the screen for space purpose here its small desk and if the screen is opened it will hide my 22 inches lcd

Eric_On_Web, Oct 18, 2020
Thema:

Laptop goes to sleep as soon as screen turns off

1. Laptop goes to sleep as soon as screen turns off - Similar Threads - Laptop goes sleep

2. Laptop goes to sleep as soon as display turns off despite being set to never

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop goes to sleep as soon as display turns off despite being set to never: Hello, I have an Asus ProArt Studiobook 16.Fresh install of windows 11, all drivers up to date. I like my computers to stay on constantly when they are plugged in so that they can run programs in the background or be accessible via remote desktop at any time. No matter what...
  3. Laptop goes to sleep as soon as display turns off despite being set to never

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop goes to sleep as soon as display turns off despite being set to never: Hello, I have an Asus ProArt Studiobook 16.Fresh install of windows 11, all drivers up to date. I like my computers to stay on constantly when they are plugged in so that they can run programs in the background or be accessible via remote desktop at any time. No matter what...
  4. Windows 11 erroneously turns off when screen goes to sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 erroneously turns off when screen goes to sleep: Almost every time the screen turns off or goes to sleep, the PC seems to be shut down erroneously. And every time I have to turn the PC back on and shut it down again because when the PC is turned on after this issue occurs, it will not connect to any network the wi-fi toggle...
  5. computer goes straight up to sleep whenever screen turns off

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    computer goes straight up to sleep whenever screen turns off: so I have the lenovo ideapad 5 running windows 10 of course, and whenever the screen goes off the lock screen appears when I entract.. this is new thing, in past days when screen is off it wouldn't go to lock screen or anything it just turn on normally. I tried to restore...
  6. wifi keeps turning off when laptop goes to sleep

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    wifi keeps turning off when laptop goes to sleep: Whenever my laptop goes to sleep or when I lock it or go to sleep, WiFi automatically disconnects after a couple minutes, it's frustrating because all the updates in the background and activities on the tabs open in the browser are affected.I recently bought my DELL XPS 15.I...
  7. Screen glitching after screen goes to sleep only screen turns off

Screen glitching after screen goes to sleep only screen turns off: Hello everyone My laptop screen goes off after 2 minutes as set, and when I move the mouse my screen relights up but is glitched. If I minimize all programs it rectifies it and everything is back to normal. It happens on any open file/program but not to the task bar or...
  8. Laptop goes to standby when screen turns off

Laptop goes to standby when screen turns off: Dear community, I am experiencing an issue where the laptop goes to standby every time the screen turns off. If "Never" is set for "Turn off the display", then the laptop does not go to standby but also the screen stays on. But if the "Put the computer to sleep" is set to...
  9. Laptop will not turn on when it goes to sleep

Laptop will not turn on when it goes to sleep: I got a new HP ENVY laptop with the Updated Windows 10. It has worked fine when i first got it, i started to use it for school alot and it started to have issues waking up. Now it won't wake up at all unless I force Shut Down the whole system. What do i do to fix it. So far...
  10. Computer goes to sleep when screen goes off

Computer goes to sleep when screen goes off: My laptop sleeps when the screen goes off regardless of the sleep time settings. I followed all the steps described in thisthread to fix it but to no avail. Perhaps a fresh reinstall of Windows would fix it? HP ENVY X360 - 13-ar0005na...