Windows 10: Laptop had Win 8 and upgraded to Win 10. Can I install a clean Win 10?

Discus and support Laptop had Win 8 and upgraded to Win 10. Can I install a clean Win 10? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; As topic says, friends laptop had Win 8 and he updated to Win 10. Now I wonder if he can install a clean Win 10 through USB with his Win 8 serialkey.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by JerryW, Feb 14, 2016.

1. JerryW Win User

Laptop had Win 8 and upgraded to Win 10. Can I install a clean Win 10?

As topic says, friends laptop had Win 8 and he updated to Win 10. Now I wonder if he can install a clean Win 10 through USB with his Win 8 serialkey.

:)

JerryW, Feb 14, 2016

2. Win 10 Product Key

Hi,

I had a laptop with Win 8.

I then upgraded to Win 8.1.

Recently I upgraded to Win 10.

I also downloaded the Win 10 installation media.

But when I would do a clean install now, which product key do I have to use???

Henk Roggeman, Feb 14, 2016
  3. DL_77 Win User
    Which licence am I using?

Basically my asus laptop came with win 8, but gave me problems.

So I erased the recovery partition to clean install with win 7 which is a full retail version that I bought years ago. I had since activated it online.

Fast forward to last year, I upgraded my OS to win 10 via win 7, then did a clean full installation from scratch. During the clean installation, the OS activation did not prompt me as it picked up my product key automatically.

Now the question is: since my os product key can be picked up automatically whenever I do clean installation, does it mean it was taken from my UEFI bios? In this case, the key that Microsoft picked up from my laptop actually belongs to win 8, and not my win
    7?

Because if it took from win 8, it means my win 7 can still be used for another activation of win 10?

This is crucial for me because time is running up to get free windows 10. I should have 2 licences win 8 and win 7, and I want to maximise them for 2 x win 10 licences.

Thanks in advance.

DL_77, Feb 14, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

Yes. He can do a Clean Install.
    Make sure the USB has the same Win 10 version as the one that is on the computer now.
    He does NOT need the Win 8 product key.
    When he starts the clean install, he will be asked for a product key.
    Just select the SKIP option and continue.
    Activation after install will be automatic.

davidhk, Feb 14, 2016
  5. JerryW Win User
    Thanks. Great.

It doesn't matter if I use the Media Creation Tool or Rufus that this site recommends?

JerryW, Feb 14, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    Something to clarify.....................

There are 2 sources for Windows 10 ISO download.

1. MCT ( media creation tool )
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/soft...load/windows10

2. Tech Bench
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...load/techbench

*** I would use Tech Bench if you asked me to pick one *****

As to Rufus, it is just one of several tools to burn the iso file to a bootable media.
    If you are used to it, then by all means continue using it.

davidhk, Feb 14, 2016
  7. JerryW Win User
    Great. One last thing.
    Should the USB be NTFS or FAT32 ?

JerryW, Feb 14, 2016
  8. davidhk Win User

fat32, although in most cases it does not really matter. But, you can go wrong with fat32.
    For downloading an iso file, you don't have to format a flash drive.

davidhk, Feb 14, 2016
  9. JerryW Win User
    Thanks a lot for everything. Best support I've ever gotten in a forum. I'll remember this place *Smile

JerryW, Feb 14, 2016
  10. davidhk Win User
    You are welcome.
    Good luck installing Win 10.

davidhk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Laptop had Win 8 and upgraded to Win 10. Can I install a clean Win 10? - Similar Threads - Laptop upgraded install

2. Win 8 upgrade to win 8.1 or 10..

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win 8 upgrade to win 8.1 or 10..: Hi team.I have an issue with updating from win 8 to. 8.1..or 10.I don't use my notebook that often and only for email, word documents and printing..small browsing and you tube.Don't wanna buy a new machine just yet...I'm running win8 x 64 bit.But want to update the os to a...
  3. Win 8 upgrade to win 8.1 or 10..

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Win 8 upgrade to win 8.1 or 10..: Hi team.I have an issue with updating from win 8 to. 8.1..or 10.I don't use my notebook that often and only for email, word documents and printing..small browsing and you tube.Don't wanna buy a new machine just yet...I'm running win8 x 64 bit.But want to update the os to a...
  4. upgrade from win 8 to win 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    upgrade from win 8 to win 10: hi can I upgrade my win 8 on a tablet samsung Ativ tab3 to win 10 thank you https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/upgrade-from-win-8-to-win-10/61700be7-585e-4c5c-8493-1a14befff78e
  5. Upgrading laptop from win 8 to 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Upgrading laptop from win 8 to 10: I did a clean reinstall for win 8 on my laptop, i want to upgrade it to win 10 , will i have to reinstall the drivers as well? Also, is the upgrade still free? submitted by /u/WifeStealer99 [link] [comments]...
  6. Upgrading Win 7 to Win 10 Versus Clean Install

Upgrading Win 7 to Win 10 Versus Clean Install: I am running windows 7 and downloaded the free windows 10 upgrade back when Microsoft offered it and stored it on my drive. I installed it, registered, then reverted to 7. Now as I understand it, this install file is an upgrade version to be put on over windows 7. But what...
  7. Win 10 upgrade and clean install

in Windows 10 Support
    Win 10 upgrade and clean install: Hello I thought the upgrade and pursuant clean install would be smooth based upon my move from 7 to 8 to 8.1. I have upgraded with my files to Win 10. I like it. However, I downloaded Ccleaner and it showed quite a bit of clutter(2GB) . I never use a registry cleaner as I...
  8. Win 8 not 8.1 upgrade to win 10?

Win 8 not 8.1 upgrade to win 10?: I have a laptop with win 8 on it it does not have win 8.1 on it, can I use the win 10 mediacreation tool to upgrade win 8 (non 8.1) to win 10? 43418
  9. Win 7 -> Win 10 upgrade - can I do a clean install instead of upgrade?

Win 7 -> Win 10 upgrade - can I do a clean install instead of upgrade?: Hi Guys, I'm trying to upgrade a Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit machine to Win 10 Pro 64-bit. Ideally I want a clean install... I tried using the method that worked before on other PCs (Media Creation Tool -> Upgrade this PC) but I got a BSOD when it was "Checking for Updates",...
  10. Can I use Win 8 BizSpark licence key for clean instalation of Win 10

Can I use Win 8 BizSpark licence key for clean instalation of Win 10: I create windows 10 instalation USB flash drive by official Microsoft Tool. Can I use Windows 8 BizSpark licence key for clean instalation of Windows 10 from this USB drive? 10002