Windows 10: Laptop half turns off when lid is shut

Discus and support Laptop half turns off when lid is shut in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; when i close my laptop, there tends to be a high likely hood of it “turning off” while staying on. The screen goes black, as if it was off, but the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by PHANTOMk_91, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Laptop half turns off when lid is shut

when i close my laptop, there tends to be a high likely hood of it “turning off” while staying on. The screen goes black, as if it was off, but the power button stays on and the fan keeps running. I use my laptop in school a lot, and i had this happen to me on a day i didnt bring my charger. Sure enough, my pc was dead when i needed it next.

The only way i've been able to “fix” this is by holding the power button and restarting the device. This process takes a total of around 10mins (including time it takes to get all my apps such as chrome restored and back up and running), which is too long when your suppose to be taking an online quiz or something. I've had to deal with this for too long, and am hoping for a solution.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Im using a HP Pavilion Laptop

:)

PHANTOMk_91, Oct 18, 2019

2. Any suggestions why my windows 10 laptop shuts down when the lid is closed and also without use and the lid open it shuts down

Any suggestions why my windows 10 laptop shuts down when the lid is closed and also without use and the lid open it shuts down?

Dan Finger, Oct 18, 2019
  3. Laptop does not shutdown when i click shutdown and close the lid, it sleeps instead.

Hi Gan,

This scenario happens when your Power Options is misconfigured. For us to have this isolated, we suggest that you follow these steps:

• Click on Start.
    • Select Settings.
    • Click on System.
    • Select Power & sleep tab.
    • On the right side, click on Additional power settings.
    • On the left pane, select Choose what closing the lid does.
    • Under Power button and lid settings, click the drop down next to
      When I close the lid.
    • Select Shut down.
    • Click on Save changes button.
    • When you’re ready to make your PC shut down, close your laptop's lid.

Note: Every time that you will close the lid, your laptop will automatically shut down.

Let us know if you have other concerns.

Janeane Cru, Oct 18, 2019
  4. Laptop half turns off when lid is shut

Shutting the lid....

I think it still interrupts the USBs when is senses the lid shutting. Anybody know how to stop the USBs from getting interrupted when closing the laptop lid? Maybe some sort of power save thing. I need shutting the lid to have ZERO effect.

RichardMerriman, Oct 18, 2019
Thema:

Laptop half turns off when lid is shut

1. Laptop half turns off when lid is shut - Similar Threads - Laptop half turns

2. My laptop shut off and won't turn back on.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    My laptop shut off and won't turn back on.: I'm having this issue where I'm just watching this random video on YouTube and talking to people and all of a sudden it says locking in the middle of the screen and starts shutting down or doing something. I was worried this might have been some bug so I held the power button...
  3. shut down does not turn off fan / laptop

shut down does not turn off fan / laptop: I have Samsung laptop intel core i3 with windows 7 pro installed a week ago shut down does not turn off my pc completely and it need to turn it off manually by pressing the power button continuously and could not find any solutions. recently I have upgraded windows to...
  4. Laptop shuts down after some time when closing lid

Laptop shuts down after some time when closing lid: hello, I have very annoying things happening with windows 10. One of the latest is that my laptop goes to sleep when closing the lid. The problem is that my power settings are set to "Do nothing" for closing lid and practically all settings regarding sleep - hibernate - shut...
  5. Shutting the lid....

Shutting the lid....: Hi All I told my Win 10 tablet to do nothing when I shut the lid. I need to get in and out of cars carefully without stopping the scanner program I am running. However, even though the system no longer goes into sleep mode, nor does it has any effect on any other program,...
  6. Windows laptop turns off when unplugged

in Windows 10 News
    Windows laptop turns off when unplugged: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]If you are facing the problem where your Windows 10 laptop turns off when unplugged, even with a new Battery, then this post could be helpful for you. The most obvious reason for a laptop shutting down immediately after unplugging [...] This post Windows...
  7. Laptop randomly shuts off especially when unplugged

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Laptop randomly shuts off especially when unplugged: My laptop is an Alienware 14 running Windows 10. Every few days or longer, it automatically turns off without warning, and does it a lot more often until I unplug it and wait a long time. It happens even more often whenever it's unplugged at any time. There's nothing wrong...
  8. Laptop turning off when closing lid

Laptop turning off when closing lid: Hi I've just set up my laptop and monitor via a docking station so I can work from home with a larger screen. however when I shut my laptop it seems to close down and therefore I can't project the screen. I know there is a way of stopping it from doing this but I've gone...
  9. HP Laptop Shuts Off When Sleeping

in Windows 10 Support
    HP Laptop Shuts Off When Sleeping: Morning everyone! I'm writing with a question about my mom's laptop which is running Windows 10. Up until yesterday morning, it would go to sleep after 20 minutes and wake back up with the move of the mouse or a keypress. Now, when it goes to sleep, it completely powers...
  10. Computer shuts down when lid is closed

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer shuts down when lid is closed: My computer doesn't suspend or hibernate when I close the lid no matter which configurations I set on power options. It always shuts down the computer. If I click the power button before closing the lid, it suspends but when I close the lid he shuts down. I've tried to update...