Windows 10: Laptop half turns off when lid is shut

Discus and support Laptop half turns off when lid is shut in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; when i close my laptop, there tends to be a high likely hood of it “turning off” while staying on. The screen goes black, as if it was off, but the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by PHANTOMk_91, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Laptop half turns off when lid is shut

when i close my laptop, there tends to be a high likely hood of it “turning off” while staying on. The screen goes black, as if it was off, but the power button stays on and the fan keeps running. I use my laptop in school a lot, and i had this happen to me on a day i didnt bring my charger. Sure enough, my pc was dead when i needed it next.

The only way i've been able to “fix” this is by holding the power button and restarting the device. This process takes a total of around 10mins (including time it takes to get all my apps such as chrome restored and back up and running), which is too long when your suppose to be taking an online quiz or something. I've had to deal with this for too long, and am hoping for a solution.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: Im using a HP Pavilion Laptop

:)

PHANTOMk_91, Oct 18, 2019

2. Any suggestions why my windows 10 laptop shuts down when the lid is closed and also without use and the lid open it shuts down

Any suggestions why my windows 10 laptop shuts down when the lid is closed and also without use and the lid open it shuts down?

Dan Finger, Oct 18, 2019
  3. Laptop does not shutdown when i click shutdown and close the lid, it sleeps instead.

Hi Gan,

This scenario happens when your Power Options is misconfigured. For us to have this isolated, we suggest that you follow these steps:

• Click on Start.
    • Select Settings.
    • Click on System.
    • Select Power & sleep tab.
    • On the right side, click on Additional power settings.
    • On the left pane, select Choose what closing the lid does.
    • Under Power button and lid settings, click the drop down next to
      When I close the lid.
    • Select Shut down.
    • Click on Save changes button.
    • When you’re ready to make your PC shut down, close your laptop's lid.

Note: Every time that you will close the lid, your laptop will automatically shut down.

Let us know if you have other concerns.

Janeane Cru, Oct 18, 2019
  4. Laptop half turns off when lid is shut

Shutting the lid....

I think it still interrupts the USBs when is senses the lid shutting. Anybody know how to stop the USBs from getting interrupted when closing the laptop lid? Maybe some sort of power save thing. I need shutting the lid to have ZERO effect.

RichardMerriman, Oct 18, 2019
Thema:

Laptop half turns off when lid is shut

1. Laptop half turns off when lid is shut - Similar Threads - Laptop half turns

2. how to turn laptop off when closing lid

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to turn laptop off when closing lid: I have an acer laptop and I am running on windows 11. recently whenever I close the laptop lid it doesnt turn off and when I reopen it it doesnt ask for password. it used to turn off and ask for password before and I even checked the "what happens when I close the lid"...
  3. how to turn laptop off when closing lid

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to turn laptop off when closing lid: I have an acer laptop and I am running on windows 11. recently whenever I close the laptop lid it doesnt turn off and when I reopen it it doesnt ask for password. it used to turn off and ask for password before and I even checked the "what happens when I close the lid"...
  4. Turn Off Bluetooth When Laptop Lid is Closed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Turn Off Bluetooth When Laptop Lid is Closed: Hello, I am trying to get my headphones to stop automatically connecting to my laptop when the laptop is not in use lid is closed and laptop is sleeping. I DO NOT want to remove the device headphones from my computer because I went through the long process of turning off...
  5. Turn Off Bluetooth When Laptop Lid is Closed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Turn Off Bluetooth When Laptop Lid is Closed: Hello, I am trying to get my headphones to stop automatically connecting to my laptop when the laptop is not in use lid is closed and laptop is sleeping. I DO NOT want to remove the device headphones from my computer because I went through the long process of turning off...
  6. Laptop Shuts Off If The Lid Closes

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop Shuts Off If The Lid Closes: Basically, if i close my laptop's lid for around 30 minutes rough estimation, my laptop will shut down and I'll have to boot it up to get it to turn on. Is this normal? My laptop didn't used to do this. If there is anything I can do to remedy this, please let me know....
  7. Laptop wont turn off when I close the lid

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop wont turn off when I close the lid: Okay so, my computer needs a new battery and in order to see what type of battery we needed, we took the bottom off and looked to see what the battery was. We put the back back on noticing that there were a couple of screws missing but it still stays on. But the only issue...
  8. turn off laptop sleep when closing lid

turn off laptop sleep when closing lid: I have a Lenovo Ideapad 330 I want to use with a docking station with 2 monitors. How do I get the laptop to stop going into sleep mode when I close the lid....
  9. Not to turn off laptop when closing lid

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Not to turn off laptop when closing lid: Where can I enable a feature that even if I close the lid on my laptop it doesn't go to sleep. I need this because I'm using an external monitor and it would be really convenient. submitted by /u/KvoDon [link] [comments]...
  10. Laptop turning off when closing lid

Laptop turning off when closing lid: Hi I've just set up my laptop and monitor via a docking station so I can work from home with a larger screen. however when I shut my laptop it seems to close down and therefore I can't project the screen. I know there is a way of stopping it from doing this but I've gone...