Windows 10: Laptop HDD fail, Shows partition but can not copy data, testdisk MBR code fail

Discus and support Laptop HDD fail, Shows partition but can not copy data, testdisk MBR code fail in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I use 2TB HDD in my laptop with 250 GB partition for windows 10 and rest for data storage. I switched my laptop so moved the HDD from old to new laptop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by PratikC, Nov 30, 2018.

1. PratikC Win User

Laptop HDD fail, Shows partition but can not copy data, testdisk MBR code fail

I use 2TB HDD in my laptop with 250 GB partition for windows 10 and rest for data storage. I switched my laptop so moved the HDD from old to new laptop and started the system. Windows logo came up but within a minute laptop crashed and then after nothing worked. I took out the HDD and plugged externally to another windows 10 system where it shows both the partition mounted with their respective sizes. When I open the drive it shows folders as well but when I open or copy any of the folder it gives error "The device is not ready".

I tried using minitool and recuva data recovery but it failed to detect anything.

Then I plugged the HDD externally to Ubuntu system. Gparted shows 3 partitions, 1) ntfs system reserved 549 MiB, 2) ntfs Windows 250 GiB, 3) ntfs 1.57 TiB. But the direct data copy or testdisk fails. I used testdisk to analyse lost partitions but nothing is reported, even in deep search. I then used the MBR code but even that failed.

I have important data in Data partition so I do not want to take risky steps. So I am now posting this question for help.

Kindly suggest how to rescue the data on the disk.

Thanks a lot in advance.

:)

PratikC, Nov 30, 2018
  2. RejZoR Win User

Failing HDD and Cloning

Programs like Tera Copy can be useful for such tasks since they provide faster copying and they have a list of processed files. If it fails, you know instantly what file failed and you can also resume or restart file copy/move operations. Tera Copy is a free program so give it a try.

Cloning is for drives that are in perfect mechanical/electronic condition but have a corrupted partition or parasitic virus infection. You clone the drive and then you can repeatedly perform data salvaging tasks without the risk of degrading data and making it unrecoverable forever. If recovering fails, you just restore the drive and start all over.

Something you can't afford on failing drives, because they will interrupt the data cloning process. And when it fails, you have to do it all over again.

RejZoR, Nov 30, 2018
  3. Help! Data partition not showing under my computer

This is happening on a windows 2000 server. Our second partition of the system, for data is not showing under my computer. Here are the properties of it in disk management:

Laptop HDD fail, Shows partition but can not copy data, testdisk MBR code fail partition.jpg

Now under logical drives its listed as F and shows free space available.

Suggestions on how to fix this?

Hybrid_theory, Nov 30, 2018
  4. RejZoR Win User

Failing HDD and Cloning

It's best to copy user data file by file from failing drive to a new one and do it in batches so you know when certain files fail to copy so you can re-copy them. This way you can fiddle with data in multi sessions where. Cloning usually only works in one go and if it fails mid way, you'll have to repeat it. Which is very inconvenient and lengthy process.

RejZoR, Nov 30, 2018
Thema:

1. Laptop HDD fail, Shows partition but can not copy data, testdisk MBR code fail - Similar Threads - Laptop HDD fail

2. copy and paste fails to start for large data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    copy and paste fails to start for large data: I have a large collection of music files in folders that I tried to copy from my USB drive to an external SSD using a client's computer.Copy and paste worked fine for individual foldersHowever when I tried to copy and paste all or a significant subset - say A - E as...
  3. copy and paste fails to start for large data

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    copy and paste fails to start for large data: I have a large collection of music files in folders that I tried to copy from my USB drive to an external SSD using a client's computer.Copy and paste worked fine for individual foldersHowever when I tried to copy and paste all or a significant subset - say A - E as...
  4. Mbr to gpt convert failed

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Mbr to gpt convert failed: Hello I just upgrade my PC from p8z77vlx to ProArt z690 creator and I do convert mbr to gpt for my existing Windows 10 21h2 so I can use uefi bios, the problem is the conversion failed and I can't boot to Windows.Anything I can do to be able to boot and repair the gpt...
  5. Mbr to gpt convert failed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Mbr to gpt convert failed: Hello I just upgrade my PC from p8z77vlx to ProArt z690 creator and I do convert mbr to gpt for my existing Windows 10 21h2 so I can use uefi bios, the problem is the conversion failed and I can't boot to Windows.Anything I can do to be able to boot and repair the gpt...
  6. HDD Failing

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDD Failing: Hello!A few weeks ago I started my PC HP Pavilion 570 1T HDD and a blue screen appeared which read: "SMART Hard Disk Error. The SMART hard disk check has detected an imminent failure. To ensure no data loss, please backup the content immediately and run the Hard Disk Test in...
  7. Data copy to hdd and the data not visible

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Data copy to hdd and the data not visible: Hello I have one problem. I have windows 10 2 same computer. WIn 10 Prof. All update setup. When i copy a file to hdd on the first computer, and i take the hdd to another PC, my copyed file not visible on the hdd. When i take a data recovery software to the hdd, the data...
  8. Copy data from HDD to HDD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Copy data from HDD to HDD: I need to copy 1.5TB of data (audio/video) onto a new 4TB drive and wondered if anyone had recommendations. I need to keep the data on the source drive. Free is good. I did read a post here that suggested Robocopy, but that seems a bit daunting for an old fogie like me....
  9. HDD failing?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    HDD failing?: Hi- I'd like to ask if the HDD C: drive in my 2013 Lenovo desktop is dying. Windows has frozen and required resetting twice in 3 months. After this last episode, restoring my backup from Norton 360 took 24 hours to transfer the first 10,000 files out of the 55,000 total via...
  10. failed hdd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    failed hdd: I have a laptop that was originally windows 7 but upgraded to 10. The recovery was on a partition on the drive and the drive failed. I bought a new hdd, do I need to reinstall windows 7 first again and then windows 10 or can I just install 10? If I need to reinstall 7 can I...