Windows 10: Laptop Improper shutdown when switched on below critical power level

Discus and support Laptop Improper shutdown when switched on below critical power level in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have configured my laptop to shutdown when the battery is 9%. But i did a normal shutdown when power was like 2 or 3%, but forgot to charge it. Today... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by sanjay, Mar 9, 2017.

1. sanjay Win User

Laptop Improper shutdown when switched on below critical power level

I have configured my laptop to shutdown when the battery is 9%. But i did a normal shutdown when power was like 2 or 3%, but forgot to charge it. Today when i switched on laptop, it may have been with very little battery left (may be 1 or 2%). After using laptop for 2/3 minutes, it just went off without any proper shutdown sequence (with hard disk clicking and just crashing shut). Is there any way like app or setting which can prevent this particular scenario e.g. switching laptop on when on below critical power setting and just crashing?
    Even android phone either does not start on very low power or just starts and does a normal shutdown, not crash like this.

:)

sanjay, Mar 9, 2017
  2. Vinodh.V Win User

About startup problem

Hi Jay,

This issue is caused due to improper shutdown.

We would suggest you to check the power settings and ensure that shutdown is selected when closing lid.

For more detailed information refer to the below link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Change-what-happens-when-you-close-your-laptop

Note: This article is designed for Windows 7, use it as a reference.

Hope this information helps.

Vinodh.V, Mar 9, 2017
  3. Does Windows 10 Pro require additional software to shutdown correctly on power outages?

Thank you for the update, Allen. The default value for critical battery level is at 5%. Since you set the critical battery action to shutdown the PC if your battery reaches 5%, you were expecting that the PC will shutdown at this rate. However, this didn't
    happen, so you did a manual shutdown of the PC when it reached the critical battery level. Have you tried setting your critical battery level at a different rate, like 15% for an instance? Kindly do so, then check if the issue persists. To do so, follow these
    steps:

• Open Power Options.
    • On the Select a power plan page, next to the plan you want to change, click
      Change plan settings.
    • On the Change settings for the plan page, click Change advanced power settings.
    • On the Advanced settings tab, expand Battery, expand
      Low battery level, Reserve battery level, and
      Critical battery level
      . Change the percentage of battery remaining that you want for each level, and then click
      OK.

Keep us in the loop.

Aileen Alf, Mar 9, 2017
Thema:

Laptop Improper shutdown when switched on below critical power level

1. Laptop Improper shutdown when switched on below critical power level - Similar Threads - Laptop Improper shutdown

2. Critical Error Kernal-Power Random shutdowns

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Critical Error Kernal-Power Random shutdowns: Hi. I have tried so many things to diagnose this, but my pc keeps randomly shutting down when I'm running games. It's even worse when I run a game and have discord open in the background. In the past 11 days, I have had 10 critical errors, 2 of them being in the last hour....
  3. Critical Error Kernal-Power Random shutdowns

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Critical Error Kernal-Power Random shutdowns: Hi. I have tried so many things to diagnose this, but my pc keeps randomly shutting down when I'm running games. It's even worse when I run a game and have discord open in the background. In the past 11 days, I have had 10 critical errors, 2 of them being in the last hour....
  4. Critical level event ID 41 - Kernel Power

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Critical level event ID 41 - Kernel Power: Hello!About a week ago laptop screen became black, at the same time no response from the system - i tried ctrl-alt-delete restart it, tried to turn off keyboard light. After hard reset using power button all was ok until today - i got same crush, and after hard restart could...
  5. BSOD computer shutdown improperly. bugcheck

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    BSOD computer shutdown improperly. bugcheck: so my computer tends to BSOD or restart out of sleep mode or it will wake up on its own and shut down improperly with this bugcheck report. The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000d1 0x0000000000000018, 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000,...
  6. Can closing laptop lid cause improper shutdown?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can closing laptop lid cause improper shutdown?: I'm seeing improper shutdowns in event viewer daily on my parents' new laptop, yet Dad reports no crashes. He likes to have it "shutdown" on lid close. I do see in the event viewer Xbox/Halo crashing, and Dad does say it takes a long time to quit the game. But it does seem...
  7. Windows 10 Hangs in Shutdown, Then Forces Improper Shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 Hangs in Shutdown, Then Forces Improper Shutdown: Hi! This is my first time with the forums. I have been experiencing an issue for quite some time. When I shutdown my PC it goes through all the usual things (shuts down usb periphs. monitors, etc) and then you would expect it to turn off right?; Except.. it doesn't..... not...
  8. Improper ShutDown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Improper ShutDown: So, my desktop computer with Windows 10 installed has a problem shutting down properly. The usual process takes place and the monitor goes blank but the fans and lights on the CPU are still on. I have, to no effect, waited for more than 30 minutes hoping they'd go off...
  9. Laptop switching off when power to charge switched on.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Laptop switching off when power to charge switched on.: Quite often my Dell Inspiron5758 laptop will, when I switch on the power to recharge, turn off. Has anyone any ideas what might be the cause? 123749
  10. Improper shutdown of desktop because of power failure

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Improper shutdown of desktop because of power failure: Improper shutdown of desktop because of power failure. Restart freezes with coloured screen showing date and time only. Occasional flashing of disk drive light but no further progress to Start screen....