Windows 10: Laptop inaccessible due to BitLocker after complete battery drain

Discus and support Laptop inaccessible due to BitLocker after complete battery drain in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Hi everybody, I’m encountering a serious problem with BitLocker. Yesterday my laptop Lenovo Ideapad, Windows 10 ran completely out of battery.... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by nati-lapd, Mar 4, 2020.

1. nati-lapd Win User

Laptop inaccessible due to BitLocker after complete battery drain

Hi everybody,

I’m encountering a serious problem with BitLocker.

Yesterday my laptop Lenovo Ideapad, Windows 10 ran completely out of battery. Without a warning of “low battery” or a controlled shutdown it suddenly went black. After plugging in the charger and rebooting, I’m now facing the BitLocker recovery screen.

The thing is: I’ve never activated/enabled BitLocker on this computer in the first place. As you can see on the attached screenshot of my Microsoft account I logged in on a second device, BitLocker is disabled. And I checked: there aren’t any keys stored in my account.

Laptop inaccessible due to BitLocker after complete battery drain 00ef6b7c-cc7d-4b51-9e45-2ac87e1985e4?upload=true.png

Moreover, there aren’t any keys on a USB stick or elsewhere as well. Since I’ve never activated BitLocker, I’ve never received a key to save or note on a piece of paper.

Apparently, the drained battery caused the system to initiate some kind of security routine and activate BitLocker. That’s my understanding of an encryption system I’ve never cared about so far. Now I’m left with an inaccessible device.

Is there anything I can do? Contact Microsoft or contact Lenovo as a manufacturer? It puzzles me that a system is capable of locking me out without my fault or action.

Unfortunately, it’s not an option for me to clear the laptop and re-install Windows, since there is vital data on it.

Many thanks for your help.

Best

Nati

:)

nati-lapd, Mar 4, 2020
  2. jaypels Win User

laptop power drain

I replaced my HDD with an SSD (and placed the HDD on the optical drive bay) a couple of weeks ago. I noticed that even if I shut my laptop down, I still would have a drained battery the next time I power it on. If I do not connect my laptop to a power source for a day (still shut down of course), the battery would be fully drained. I shrugged it off as a battery problem but recently I brought my laptop to travel somewhere and once opened my laptop bag, it was warm. It was only then I noticed that even though I shut the laptop down, a little led is still on indicating something has not completely powered down.

My bet is that it is the HDD on the optical drive still sucking power but is there a way to know what is completely draining my battery?

jaypels, Mar 4, 2020
  3. BitLocker questions

According to the link below, BitLocker will go into Recovery mode when the battery is swapped out or fully drains out.

This leads to my next question. does it also ask for the Recovery Key when a laptop battery fully drains itself down?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...ery-guide-plan
    Removing, inserting, or completely depleting the charge on a smart battery on a portable computer.

win10freak, Mar 4, 2020
  4. Laptop inaccessible due to BitLocker after complete battery drain

Battery drains while on sleep mode.

Sleep Mode has never been efficient. In all my years of using laptops, I've always just turned them off and on. Battery drain is normal for sleep mode. Some people have had issues with the laptops not powering off completely and draining the battery, but if that's your issue, there is an easy fix. You turn off Fast Startup and check a setting in Device Management under Intel Management Engine.

DeaconFrost, Mar 4, 2020
Thema:

Laptop inaccessible due to BitLocker after complete battery drain

1. Laptop inaccessible due to BitLocker after complete battery drain - Similar Threads - Laptop inaccessible due

2. laptop battery capacity drain

in Windows 10 Gaming
    laptop battery capacity drain: I bought a laptop late august this year and noticed my battery capacity suddenly dropped almost to 50 percent its previous capacity in just a days charge.. Going back i can remember i plugged it on my bed and forgot it charging so it over charged like 2 hours at 100 percent...
  3. laptop battery capacity drain

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    laptop battery capacity drain: I bought a laptop late august this year and noticed my battery capacity suddenly dropped almost to 50 percent its previous capacity in just a days charge.. Going back i can remember i plugged it on my bed and forgot it charging so it over charged like 2 hours at 100 percent...
  4. laptop battery capacity drain

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Battery draining after shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Battery draining after shutdown: My laptop asus Rog strix g17, I'm having problem with battery it's draining after shutdown for 10 hrs it's draining 15-20%,in battery report it's showing connected by, i tried disabling fast boot and did regedit power settings too, can't resolve this issue...
  6. Battery draining after shutdown

Battery draining after shutdown: My laptop asus Rog strix g17, I'm having problem with battery it's draining after shutdown for 10 hrs it's draining 15-20%,in battery report it's showing connected by, i tried disabling fast boot and did regedit power settings too, can't resolve this issue...
  7. Battery drains after shutdown.

Battery drains after shutdown.: I have a brand new Asus E210ma with Windows 11 S. I have shut down completely, but the battery went from 65% down to 35% overnight. It has done that the few nights I've had it.Help! I love the size but this is driving me crazy. I am not using the standby and wish it had...
  8. My laptop battery drains when completely shutdown

in Windows 10 Support
    My laptop battery drains when completely shutdown: Hello. I am still having problems with the battery getting completely drained when the computer is turned off. A 80% battery will not last more than 2 weeks with the computer shut down. If I turn it on after 2 weeks, the battery will be at 0%. I have turned off "fast...
  9. Battery completely drains during Suspend state

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Battery completely drains during Suspend state: Since a couple of months my laptop Asus zenbook pro 14, ux480FD started completely draining my battery once put in suspend mode every once in a while. It doesn't drain battery in hybernate, nor with wifi deactivated. I already deactivated fast startup, updated Intel drivers,...
  10. Battery is draining after shutting down the laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Battery is draining after shutting down the laptop: Hi I am facing an issue with my laptop's battery for past few days. After charging it to 100% i use it for 2 hours or so reaching up to 60%. Then I shut down my laptop and reopen it again after sometimes it doesn't turn on until I plug it with the charger with power source...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. my laptop ran out of battery and is now asking for bitlocker key

2. bitlocker battery life