Windows 10: Laptop internal mic doesn't work anymore

Discus and support Laptop internal mic doesn't work anymore in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi! So, the title pretty much says it all. I'll be a little more specific here. I just tried talking to Cortana, because I wanna enter the 21st... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Bakkerbaard, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Laptop internal mic doesn't work anymore

Hi!

So, the title pretty much says it all. I'll be a little more specific here.
    I just tried talking to Cortana, because I wanna enter the 21st century too, and she ignored me as if she knew my ex.
    Turns out she just couldn't hear me.
    Double checked with Win10's native Voice Recorder and that didn't record anything either. Tried using a plug-in mic (actually the standard PS4 earplug/mic, if that makes any difference), but that didn't do anything either and I know that thing worked at least up until I just had to pull it out with a leatherman.

I've gone through all the suggestions google came up with: enabling the mic, un-muting the mic, updating drivers.
    Only thing I didn't do is go through Device Manager and uninstalling device to re-install drivers as I am afraid I'm not gonna be able to find the mic at all anymore.

Weird thing is, I just got this laptop two days ago and during the initial start up I talked to Cortana. Then yesterday I spent an eternity waiting on a massive update and now the current problem has arisen.

System:
    MSI GS63VR 7RF-219NL
    Standard, outta the box. Didn't do anything other than fiddle with the fancy keyboard lights and realise I am not acting my age.

Windows 10 (obviously) Home 32-bit, 1709 build 16299.125
    Nahimic 2+ Audio Driver
    Dragon Centre 1.2.1706.1501

I am assuming my display drivers aren't very relevant here.

Any ideas? I'm guessing that massive update screwed things up, but that's all it is: guessing.

:)

Bakkerbaard, Mar 10, 2018

2. Windows 10 recognized my microphone and works, but Cortana doesn't hear me

It kinds of works now the internal built-in mic does not work for Cortana, but a microphone works. whenever I try to set up the mic using the internal mic it can hear me but when I use a external mic it works. My Internal and external mic works for other
    programs

R C Bauista, Mar 10, 2018
  3. Windows 10 microphone issues on Lenovo Thinkpad T430 Laptop

How old is your laptop? If it has a few years behind it the external 3.5mm mic jack socket may be slightly tarnished. If you've tried all the "tekky" stuff with no luck, then try this - clean the 3.5mm mic jack socket on your laptop, phone or whatever.
    I experienced the same problems as described in all these forums, drivers, configurations, roll back,simple volume control adjustment - nothing worked. After several hours with no luck I decided the internal mic was toast. So I bought an external mic with
    3.5mm jack plug from a local electronic shop, plugged it in and everything worked as it should - loads of volume. Then unplugged mic and tried with the internal again - loads of volume. So my conclusion was that both the internal and external mics use the
    same contacts within the laptop jack socket to complete the signal circuit. By plugging an external 3.5mm jack plug into the 3.5mm jack socket on the laptop I had effectively cleaned/wiped the contacts. It's been working for two week now. If you have any propriety
    contact cleaner spray, try that too.

PeterWhitby, Mar 10, 2018
  4. rezpower Win User

Laptop internal mic doesn't work anymore

What you need to try is:
    right click speaker (sound) icon on taskbar and choose recording devices.
    1-Make sure the right device is set as default.
    2-select the default device and choose properties. (make sure in "device usage" it is set to enabled)
    3-click on levels tab and make sure levels are set correctly
    4-in advance mode make sure both boxes are checked (exclusive mode)
    5-In device manager make sure the driver is working correctly

if non of this get the mic to work then re-installing the driver is nothing to be afraid of!
    Check driver in device manager and see if you have a rollback driver option (if you have one then it means that windows has updated the driver and you can go back to the earlier one.) if not get latest driver from manufacturer and install that one.

rezpower, Mar 11, 2018
  5. Since the mic isn't working I suppose I'm not any worse off if I can't find it after uninstalling. I'll have a look at that later when things are less... Motörhead here.
    Thanks for the help.

Bakkerbaard, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Laptop internal mic doesn't work anymore

1. Laptop internal mic doesn't work anymore - Similar Threads - Laptop internal mic

2. Mic doesn't work

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mic doesn't work: I was playing video games, when unexpectedly my computer crashed. It wasn't responding at all, all I could do was move my mouse, that's all. I pressed ctrl+alt+del and it didn't react at all. The PC just froze. So I turned it off by holding the power ON button. When I turned...
  3. Mic doesn't work

Mic doesn't work: My built in mic does not work. It doesn't detect input. I have checked the usual troublesshooting tips, and no progress. Also, when I plug in a headset with a jack cable, it also won't work. However, when I use an USB-cable headset, it works just fine. I have not had...
  4. Mic doesn't work

Mic doesn't work: I bought a new microphone jack 3.5 and my computer doesn't pick any sound. This problem already happened to me with earbuds with microphone that's why I bought a new mic. I tried everything I found on internet: Updating drivers, activating microphone on privacy tab on...
  5. Laptop internal and external mic not working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop internal and external mic not working: I have an asus K501LX and the microphone is not working. I tried using problem solving from the sound settings and it is not giving me any options. So i tried to plug in a USB microphone from sennheiser and the mic is still not working. I thought it had something to do with...
  6. Internal mic doesn't work after upgrade to win 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Internal mic doesn't work after upgrade to win 10: Upgraded Sony Vaio from win 7 to 10. The internal mic doesn't hear anything in cortana or speech to text. The bar doesn't move in mic test in setup. Says computer doesn't hear anything in microphone setup. BUT it works just fine on Zoom and Skype and and my grandson can talk...
  7. Internal mic not working anymore

Internal mic not working anymore: Hi, my laptop has an inbuilt microphone that used to work perfectly until a few months ago. However, I didn't use it often and just realized that it had stopped working last month. I have tried to do any solution that I can find in the internet, I have checked all settings...
  8. Laptop internal Mic on not working on browsers [but the mic is working on voice recorder app]

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop internal Mic on not working on browsers [but the mic is working on voice recorder app]: Laptop internal Mic on not working on browsers [but the mic is working on voice recorder app], Please help. URGENTTTTTTTT https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/laptop-internal-mic-on-not-working-on-browsers-but/b27b95c1-d6cd-4db3-9ae8-ed8827433242
  9. Only internal mic works?

Only internal mic works?: I use a Nextbook Flexx 10. I want to make little videos, but my internal mic sucks, so i bought a new headset (combo cord). when i did, the headphones didn't work. my computer DOES have a combo jack, but when doing mic tests only internal mic works. nothing of use is on the...
  10. Only internal mic works?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Only internal mic works?: I use a Nextbook Flexx 10. I want to make little videos, but my internal mic sucks, so i bought a new headset (combo cord). when i did, the headphones didn't work. my computer DOES have a combo jack, but when doing mic tests only internal mic works. nothing of use is on the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. my mic doesnt work anymore

2. i have msi gs63vr 7rf my build in mic doesnt work