Windows 10: Laptop is connected to the internet, but doesn't realise it's connected

Discus and support Laptop is connected to the internet, but doesn't realise it's connected in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Weird one - my laptop is connected the internet, however on the taskbar tray, the wifi icon is greyed out with the asterisk above it, indicating the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by masseyo, Nov 5, 2018.

1. masseyo Win User

Laptop is connected to the internet, but doesn't realise it's connected

Weird one - my laptop is connected the internet, however on the taskbar tray, the wifi icon is greyed out with the asterisk above it, indicating the laptop is *not* connected to the internet. When I click on this icon, the network I'm connected to says "no internet, secured", despite there being no problems with my connection. It's essentially the inverse of the normal internet problem - the computer claiming you're connected to the internet when there's no connection.

I wouldn't normally be bothered, however when I search for updates in Windows Update, it says it will only begin searching once my computer is connected to the internet.

I'm on Windows 10 Home, version 1803. Some other information that might be of interest - yesterday I had to reinstall Windows 10 on my laptop because it appeared some of the registry permissions changed and a few of the Windows services were refusing to run.

Many thanks.

:)

masseyo, Nov 5, 2018
  2. akhlaq768 Win User

Connecting Laptop to the Internet, No connection

Trying to connect to the Internet using my Laptop. (not via the wireless router, but through the Ethernet cable)

My existing PC is connected to the Internet via an Ethernet cable, which is connected to the Broadband Modem (Virgin).

What I have tried to do, is take the Ethernet cable from my PC and connect it to the Laptop... Unfortunately, the Laptop isnt connecting to the Internet...

I have tried repairing the Network, with no success.

I am using the same cable, which was connected to the PC...

I do get error messages, when I click on repair in the Network Connection Tab. Its says it cannot assign an IP address.

I am Using Windows XP Home Edition.

I've tried using the Ping via cmd ping localhost or 127.0.0.1

I get the following results -

Packets: Sent = 4, Recieved = 4, Lost = 0(0%0)

Also done the following -

1. Start Internet Explorer.
    2. Click the Tools menu, and then click Internet Options.
    3. Click the Connections tab.
    4. Under Dial-up and VPN Settings, click the broadband connection, click Settings, and then click Automatically detect settings.
    5. Click OK.

..... with no luck

What do I do guys?

akhlaq768, Nov 6, 2018
  3. akhlaq768 Win User
    Connecting Laptop to the Internet, No connection

I thought of that the other day... enter the same detail into the laptop... but no luck mate...

this laptop was connected to the internet via the wireless router... but the router died on me.. now im using the cable...

akhlaq768, Nov 6, 2018
  4. Bagoguts Win User

Lumia 620 doesn`t connect to computer via usb cable

Hi yall and thanks for the replies!

Unfortunately, the were of no help.

The phone isn`t listed in device manager, the list of devices doesn`t change if I have my phone connected to my computer(s). There are no mystery devices, no yellow triangle -markings or anything even remotely pointing to the direction the phone being connected.

It could be that my phone has a broken usb port, but it makes me wonder that it still charges the battery when connected to a computer.

This is not a big problem for me, that I must admit, but still, it kinda bugs me that the phone doesn`t work the way it`s supposed to work,

Anyways, if somebody comes up with something that might help, I am most grateful.

Have a great weekend yall!

-

edit: Also, I have my laptop almost always connected to charger. Tried without charger just for the heck of it, didn`t help.

Bagoguts, Nov 6, 2018
Thema:

1. Laptop is connected to the internet, but doesn't realise it's connected - Similar Threads - Laptop connected internet

2. Laptop internet connection

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop internet connection: My laptop running windows 11 Home has recently started loosing internet connection, either wifi or internet. I have also recently activated the McAfee VPN can this be the problem?...
  3. Laptop internet connection

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop internet connection: My laptop running windows 11 Home has recently started loosing internet connection, either wifi or internet. I have also recently activated the McAfee VPN can this be the problem?...
  4. Windows not realising it has sound devices connected

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows not realising it has sound devices connected: Hello.Firstly, yes I have tried reinstalling drivers, rebooting the machine, everything except a factory reset, which is the next step unless someone can figure out this problem.See the below screenshot for a summary of the problem.Device manager can see my audio devices....
  5. Laptop is not connecting to the Internet

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop is not connecting to the Internet: My laptop didn't connect to wifi, so I forgot wifi network and tried to reconnect, but when I put in the correct password, it says it can't connect. This happened this morning. Any help is appreciated...
  6. Laptop is not connecting to the Internet

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop is not connecting to the Internet: My laptop didn't connect to wifi, so I forgot wifi network and tried to reconnect, but when I put in the correct password, it says it can't connect. This happened this morning. Any help is appreciated...
  7. Laptop is not connecting to the Internet

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  8. Laptop is not connecting to the Internet

Laptop is not connecting to the Internet: My laptop did not connect to wifi so i forgot wifi network and tried to reconnect but when i put in correct password i said can't connect.I need help!...
  9. Internet doesn't connect on startup

Internet doesn't connect on startup: This has been happening to me recently and I don't know why. It's not a huge inconvenience, but it is annoying and I want to figure out how to fix it. When I boot my pc and log in to the desktop screen, my internet will not connect for about 30 seconds. This makes it so all...
  10. Ethernet is connected to the internet, but internet doesn't work.

Ethernet is connected to the internet, but internet doesn't work.: Today my PC suddenly stopped working with anything internet related, doesn't reach websites on Google Chrome, apps like Discord and Steam went offline. But Ethernet status hasn't changed, it still shows that it's connected. First my IPv6 connectivity had no internet...