Windows 10: Laptop is set to sleep when inactive but it shuts down instead

Discus and support Laptop is set to sleep when inactive but it shuts down instead in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I've seen this problem mentioned online by many other people and also have seen many solutions. I am running Windows 10 on an Acer laptop. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Bemmp, Jun 1, 2020.

1. Bemmp Win User

Laptop is set to sleep when inactive but it shuts down instead

I've seen this problem mentioned online by many other people and also have seen many solutions. I am running Windows 10 on an Acer laptop. The computer used to sleep properly but not now.

Is there any way to diagnose the cause of the problem so that the solution can be determined, as opposed to trying every possible solution suggested online until the problem gets fixed?

I should note that I've tried the built in Windows troubleshooter but that did not fix the problem.

:)

Bemmp, Jun 1, 2020
  2. FPWombot Win User

Windows 10 computer is shutting down after inactivity instead of just going to sleep.

I am having a problem with my windows 10 desktop

I just recently replaced the motherboard, and now when it has a certain amount of inactivity, instead of just going to sleep, it completely shuts down.

As a temporary fix, I set it to never sleep which seems to keep it from shutting down, But I would rather it go to sleep so its not always running.

Anyone know a fix?

-Logan

FPWombot, Jun 1, 2020
  3. AlistairJ Win User
    Lenovo Laptop - Windows 10 - Power and Sleep Settings Not Working

Despite selecting 'Never' for 'When plugged in, turn off after' for both 'Screen' and 'Sleep' within the 'Power and Sleep Settings' window--please see attached screen dump--and my laptop being plugged in, it still goes to sleep / shuts down after a short time of inactivity. Can any suggest why it is doing this and how to fix it?

AlistairJ, Jun 1, 2020
  4. Laptop is set to sleep when inactive but it shuts down instead

Laptop Shuts Down Instead of Sleep

Hi All,

I have an Asus N550JV and since upgrading to Windows 10 I have issues with the Laptop Shutting Down (Or maybe Hibernating?) instead of going to sleep.

If I leave my computer Idle, or close the lid the computer basically restarts when I hit the power button or open the lid back up. Once I have logged in all of my apps are closed and everything is acting like it has crashed.

I have all of the power settings set to sleep when closing the lid. I have also gone into Advance power setting and checked that the settings are set to sleep. Reset everything to windows default.

After checking the event viewer it lists the shut down error as a critical one.

Please can someone help me with this?

Laptop is set to sleep when inactive but it shuts down instead 292546b9-f9d2-4d22-9a08-d44363b82586.png

Laptop is set to sleep when inactive but it shuts down instead 366b3558-ffe9-4734-b7a9-813cf343fdc7.png

daveaitken92, Jun 1, 2020
Thema:

Laptop is set to sleep when inactive but it shuts down instead

1. Laptop is set to sleep when inactive but it shuts down instead - Similar Threads - Laptop set sleep

2. Computer shuts down instead of sleep/hibernation.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer shuts down instead of sleep/hibernation.: Greetings, everyone! <3 I know there had been threads on this topic, but none of those helped me. Here are my PC specs mind you it's PC, not a laptop: Processor: AMD A6-9500 RADEON R4+5, 8 COMPUTE CORES 2C+6G 3.50 GHz RAM: 4 GB Hard: 120 GB SSD System type: 64-bit...
  3. PC shutting down instead of sleeping

PC shutting down instead of sleeping: Hi, I recently changed the SSD on my ASUS UX430UN and upgraded it to a Crucial 1Tb SSD. I have GRUB to handle dual boot Windows and Linux. When using Windows, often the pc will shut down after going to sleep requiring to hold the power button to hard restart it, or it will...
  4. Laptop shuts down instead of going to sleep or hibernating even when selecting the option...

Laptop shuts down instead of going to sleep or hibernating even when selecting the option...: Hello everyone, A while ago I noticed that my laptop running Windows 10 can't go to sleep or hibernate anymore. I don't know exactly when it started, but it may have been after a Windows update. First I'd like to clarify a few things to hopefully avoid getting...
  5. My laptop shuts down instead of going to sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    My laptop shuts down instead of going to sleep: When I put my laptop to sleep from power it shuts down. And the weird thing is i can turn it on if i click on space bar. Even if I close the lid it supposed to go to sleep (my power settings all put on sleep). Can anyone help me plz. Thanks. submitted by /u/00jamiil...
  6. Laptop shuts down when it goes to sleep

Laptop shuts down when it goes to sleep: So every time my Asus laptop goes to sleep, it shuts down, no matter how little time it is in sleep mode. I have checked the settings available for power and battery and there is nothing that helps in solving this problem. I have updated my Windows 10 to the latest version...
  7. Computer shuts down instead of sleep

Computer shuts down instead of sleep: I've been having this issue where instead of the computer going to sleep, it shuts down instead. I've reinstalled BIOS, reinstalled Windows 10, disabled fast startup, none has worked. Checked my disk with HD Tune Error Scan Short Generic Long Generic Event Viewer...
  8. My laptop keeps shutting down instead of going to sleep

My laptop keeps shutting down instead of going to sleep: Hi, I have a question. Instead of going to sleep mode i.e. when I close the lid on my laptop, the screen goes off but the computer keeps running for several minutes and then shuts down. It does the same when I choose shutdown, instead of shutting down in 10 seconds or so as...
  9. Windows computer shuts down instead of Sleep

in Windows 10 News
    Windows computer shuts down instead of Sleep: [ATTACH] [ATTACH]Windows 10 is an operating system that is packed with a ton of features. Many of the features are related to turning off computers in different states so that power can be saved at different levels. It lists out as [...] This post Windows computer shuts down...
  10. Laptop shuts down instead of resuming from sleep

Laptop shuts down instead of resuming from sleep: Recently, my laptop started doing this. I'd say in the last 3-4 weeks. It goes to sleep when I shut the lid or put it to sleep, but shuts off when lid is opened, power button is pressed, etc. It's a Lenovo P51s, version 20H. All updates are current, both Microsoft and...