Windows 10: Laptop issue: External second monitor remains as a black screen after waking up laptop

Discus and support Laptop issue: External second monitor remains as a black screen after waking up laptop in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; I have a laptop with Windows 10. Whenever I close the lid of the laptop or put it sleep and then wake up the laptop, the external second monitor that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by S_2023, Mar 10, 2023.

1. S_2023 Win User

Laptop issue: External second monitor remains as a black screen after waking up laptop

I have a laptop with Windows 10. Whenever I close the lid of the laptop or put it sleep and then wake up the laptop, the external second monitor that is hooked through a display adaptor port remains as a black screen. The problem persists until I manually restart the laptop. Unplugging and plugging in the display adaptor cable does not fix it.Updating the drivers does not fix it.Using the display settings to identify the monitor does not work, the laptop recognizes and detects the second monitor, but the black screen remains.The laptop is always plugged in and the power settings is set to maxi

:)

S_2023, Mar 10, 2023
  2. Cbowers3 Win User

Laptop screen will only work once it has been connected to an external monitor, even if that monitor is switched off

Having an issue whereby I cannot see or use the Laptop screen without first plugging it into an external monitor.

• Upon Windows startup unconnected to any external monitor

• DELL opening logo can be seen on Laptop screen

• Screen goes black with backlight

• Mouse pointer can be seen onscreen if moved to the right, as though a second monitor is connected on the left hand side.

• Attempting to press enter and type in password in the correct order as though the screen was functional does not do anything

• Upon connecting to an external monitor (even if switched off)

• Laptop screen will suddenly appear, all functionality restored

• Upon disconnecting again from external monitor

• Laptop screen remains visible and functional

• Lock screen /unlock screen no problem

• Upon shutting and opening the laptop lid

• Screen black with backlight, same results as windows startup, mouse pointer can be seen and moved as though a second screen is connected on the left

• No functionality until reconnected, even for a second, with an external monitor.

Troubleshooting:

• Restarting multiple times, checking multiple display screen is not activated:

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum
    category.***

Cbowers3, Mar 10, 2023
  3. Virus-j Win User
    Toshiba Laptop Black Screen

I have a Toshiba Laptop, Was reinstalling windows 7 on it last night left it doing the updates then shut it down. Turned it on this this afternoon only to find the laptop screen is Black and also there is a burning smell coming from the Fan.

I connected the Laptop to a external monitor that is fine, Can go into bios, Windows boots up fine Etc.
    Just took apart the laptop earlier to check all the cables where in correctly, Checked the motherboard over for any damage, burnt bits but but found nothing. Just put it back together now but im still getting this burning smell and i still cant use the laptop screen only a external screen.

I Tried Pressing FN+F5 to switch to the laptop screen, But still black screen. Any Suggestions please ?

Thanks

Virus-j, Mar 10, 2023
  4. Laptop issue: External second monitor remains as a black screen after waking up laptop

Asus gaming laptop black screen issue

Hello,

So I have a Asus G751jt Laptop that I want to smash. The problem is that sometimes on boot up I get a backlit black screen even though the laptop continues to boot to windows 10. I can plug in a external monitor every time and boom I see the desktop. If I unplug the monitor and put the laptop the sleep I can wake it up and then the screen works. I also have same issue sometimes from sleep mode as well.

Things I have tried.

1. Bios update
    2. Disable fastboot in bios and windows
    3. Reinstall OS on a slow new 500gb from an ssd. ( thinking its booting to fast to register the monitor )
    4. Take out the 2 x 8gb ram chips and use one at a time ( both have the same issue )
    5. Replace the screen with a brand new one.
    6. Disable all sleep and hibernation modes, still boot up issue.

I have tried everything I can think of other than replacing the monitor video cable. Any suggestions would be great, thanks

zombiewarpig, Mar 10, 2023
Thema:

Laptop issue: External second monitor remains as a black screen after waking up laptop

1. Laptop issue: External second monitor remains as a black screen after waking up laptop - Similar Threads - Laptop issue External

2. Laptop issue: External second monitor remains as a black screen after waking up laptop

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Laptop issue: External second monitor remains as a black screen after waking up laptop: I have a laptop with Windows 10. Whenever I close the lid of the laptop or put it sleep and then wake up the laptop, the external second monitor that is hooked through a display adaptor port remains as a black screen. The problem persists until I manually restart the laptop....
  3. Laptop issue: External second monitor remains as a black screen after waking up laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop issue: External second monitor remains as a black screen after waking up laptop: I have a laptop with Windows 10. Whenever I close the lid of the laptop or put it sleep and then wake up the laptop, the external second monitor that is hooked through a display adaptor port remains as a black screen. The problem persists until I manually restart the laptop....
  4. Black screen after waking up laptop sometimes

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Black screen after waking up laptop sometimes: Hi I hope you are doing well I have a pretty decent laptop but I’m not sure if it’s the graphics card but after opening the cover it’s a black screen but the disk is still runningIf you can help that would be great thanks!...
  5. Black screen after waking up laptop sometimes

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Black screen after waking up laptop sometimes: Hi I hope you are doing well I have a pretty decent laptop but I’m not sure if it’s the graphics card but after opening the cover it’s a black screen but the disk is still runningIf you can help that would be great thanks!...
  6. Laptop slow to wake up/screen remains black for too long after sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop slow to wake up/screen remains black for too long after sleep: Recently my laptop experienced BSOD, but it restarts and then resumes its functions pretty normally. The issue is that if I put it to sleep, and then wake it up, the screen seems to take a while before lighting up. Normally, once I wake it up by opening the lid, the screen...
  7. Laptop slow to wake up/screen remains black for too long after sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop slow to wake up/screen remains black for too long after sleep: Recently my laptop experienced BSOD, but it restarts and then resumes its functions pretty normally. The issue is that if I put it to sleep, and then wake it up, the screen seems to take a while before lighting up. Normally, once I wake it up by opening the lid, the screen...
  8. Second monitor not waking up

in Windows 10 Support
    Second monitor not waking up: I am new in Ten. Regardless I use daily a remote machine with Windows 10 I just installed it on my own local computer a couple days ago (I had Windows 7 on it before). My PC has a dual monitor setup both plugged to the onboard adapters of my Gigabyte mobo. The main monitor...
  9. External monitor shows black screen after locking laptop when trying to wake it up?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    External monitor shows black screen after locking laptop when trying to wake it up?: I have been experiencing this strange issue starting about 1 month ago. Currently, my laptop is projecting its screen to a desktop monitor with its lid closed. Whenever I go lock my laptop and go off to do something else, my screen turns off after awhile. When I shake my...
  10. External Monitor and Laptop Monitor Screen Resolution Issue

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    External Monitor and Laptop Monitor Screen Resolution Issue: I have a dell laptop that has 1920x1080 resolution. However, i connect it to an external monitor that has 1920x1200 resolution. Basically almost everything i do is on my external monitor which acts as my main primary screen. Thus i do sometimes open some windows or drag a...