Windows 10: Laptop keeps going to sleep

Discus and support Laptop keeps going to sleep in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; I have an HP 8540 laptop. I have the power settings set to high performance and all the options to go to sleep when plugged in are set to off/no.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by ruggb, Nov 20, 2015.

1. ruggb Win User

Laptop keeps going to sleep

I have an HP 8540 laptop. I have the power settings set to high performance and all the options to go to sleep when plugged in are set to off/no.
    HOWEVER, it keeps going to sleep even when things like a download is running. There r a few things like my 3D printer program that will keep it awake. I did however have it go to sleep a couple of times during a print and I changed something (I forgot what it was) and it stopped doing that but not for other things and not in general. When plugged in I do not want it to go to sleep unless I press my power button. I don't have a sleep button, but that is also set to no sleep.

It does not go to sleep if I am actively using the mouse and/or kbd.

I had HP power assist running but I shut that down and it still goes to sleep.
    everything is up to date.

Why?????? and what to do???????

:)

ruggb, Nov 20, 2015
  2. CraigS-29 Win User

Laptop keeps restarting after going to sleep (when the lid is closed).

I have a HP pavilion laptop and currently every time my laptop goes to sleep (when the lid is closed), the laptop seems to restart when it has not been requested. I lose any work that has not been saved and takes a long time (nearly 5 minutes to restart).
    The laptop has been up to date with Windows updates.

Can you please help.

Thanks.

CraigS-29, Nov 20, 2015
  3. Laptop keeps restarting after going to sleep (when the lid is closed).

Glad to know that the troubleshooting steps provided worked for you. Thank you for the update.

For further queries, feel free to post back.

Angela Pun, Nov 20, 2015
  4. dalchina New Member

dalchina, Nov 20, 2015
  5. ruggb Win User
    so far........if the computer is awakened using the power button instead of the mouse it does NOT automatically sleep after 2 1/2 min.
    I can see where this "feature" is useful if one has cats who wake up the computer - I just shut the door to my office.

Now the question is - how to TURN OFF this 'feature" without disabling the mouse/kbd wake feature.

ruggb, Nov 20, 2015
  6. dalchina New Member
    Can you have a look at this & see if it helps?
    Solved Win 10 Unattended Sleep Timeout - Same as Vista, Win 7,8[.1] ? - Windows 10 Forums

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Laptop keeps going to sleep - Similar Threads - Laptop keeps going

2. computer keeps going to sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    computer keeps going to sleep: When typing and press the space bar and some lower keys the computer goes to sleep. This is a new computer and out of the box it had this problem but after updating the problem was resolved. But then after installing the latest version of Windows 10 feature update the problem...
  3. computer keeps going to sleep

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    computer keeps going to sleep: When typing and press the space bar and some lower keys the computer goes to sleep. This is a new computer and out of the box it had this problem but after updating the problem was resolved. But then after installing the latest version of Windows 10 feature update the problem...
  4. computer keeps going to sleep

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Computer keeps going to "sleep

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer keeps going to "sleep: Started tonight, all three of my monitors show no signal detected and then go to sleep mode. Computer seems to keep running but will not wake up. Have to do a hard restart to get it back up. Runnings Windows 10 Pro, updated with current MB bios versions, temps are fine, no...
  6. Touchpad keeps going to sleep.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Touchpad keeps going to sleep.: It will randomly goto sleep. Usually when im typing, but not always just when typing. occasionally it will reactivate as intended immediately after, but most of the time, it will stay asleep for upto 3-5 seconds of me clicking and sliding on the touchpad. Is there a way to...
  7. Touchpad keeps going to sleep.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Touchpad keeps going to sleep.: It will randomly goto sleep. Usually when im typing, but not always just when typing. occasionally it will reactivate as intended immediately after, but most of the time, it will stay asleep for upto 3-5 seconds of me clicking and sliding on the touchpad. Is there a way to...
  8. Laptop not going to sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop not going to sleep: I have just completed a full/clean re-install Win10 Pro 64Bit 21H1 (Pro vers installed as per the Windows key associated with the laptop) of my elderly father in-laws laptop after he was hacked on Tuesday. The hackers tried to steal some money from his bank A/C (blocked by...
  9. Laptop Keeps Turning off after going to Sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop Keeps Turning off after going to Sleep: Hey everyone recently my Acer Laptop has been shutting down after I allow it to sleep for too long. As in if close the lid of my laptop, it goes to sleep like usual. But if I don't wake or use it for like 30 minutes it just turns off rather than stay in sleep. Two changes I...
  10. Laptop keeps going to sleep right after turning it on

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop keeps going to sleep right after turning it on: Hello there, I've got an I7 asus laptop with the latest windows10 update . ever since the update the laptop keeps going to sleep mode right after I turn it on (during lock screen or when I access my desktop) . I need to return it on over and over to finally have success and...