Windows 10: laptop keeps reading and dropping USB CD-ROM continuously

Discus and support laptop keeps reading and dropping USB CD-ROM continuously in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Problem: my CD-ROM keeps dropping in a repeating loop. I can sit there watching Device Manager as it has a CD-ROM entry and then it disappears and it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by MeghanElizondo, Jun 12, 2019.

1. laptop keeps reading and dropping USB CD-ROM continuously

Problem: my CD-ROM keeps dropping in a repeating loop. I can sit there watching Device Manager as it has a CD-ROM entry and then it disappears and it reads the-cd-rom again every few seconds.

It does sometimes work correctly and read the cd-rom continuously and I can use it fine. The problem reoccurs when the USB cord is removed and plugged back in or when the laptop restarts or when the same disk is ejected and put back in.

Info:

Surface Book laptop, Windows 10 v1809. Up-to-date per Windows Update.

CD-ROM/DVD reader is SSTcorp&Prod_CDDVDW_SE-S084C.

Driver: 10.0.17763.1

The disk and cd-rom work on our desktop Windows 10 machine.

Device Manager tells me the driver is working properly and driver is up-to-date.

Disk Manager consistently doesn't read the disk when it's in this state, even after a Rescan of drives.

Things I've tried:

1. Restart of my laptop.

Result: Usually no change. After several restarts, it sometimes settles down and keeps reading he CD-ROM in a stable fashion.

2. When it reads cd-rom, Device Manager > Uninstall driver, Restart computer.

Result: No change. CD-ROM is read but it doesn't usually make a difference to the looping read/drops. A couple of times it has continuously read the cd-rom.

3. When it's in the loop, Disk Manager > Rescan drives.

Result: This doesn't usually do anything. I think it worked one time so it might have been random luck.

4. Following this info, Method 6:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/314060/your-cd-or-dvd-drive-is-not-recognized-by-windows-or-other-programs

Result: No change.

:)

MeghanElizondo, Jun 12, 2019
  2. Rose Cal Win User

i buy a new laptop without cd rom

Hi Teodor Adrian,

Corrupted or outdated drivers may be the possible reason why your external CD ROM is missing. To provide you the accurate resolution, we'd like to gather more information:

• Have you tried updating your drivers?
    • Are you getting any error message?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you follow the steps in this
    article
    on how to troubleshoot your CD or DVD which is not recognized by Windows or other programs.

Keep us posted if you need additional help.

Rose Cal, Jun 12, 2019
  3. CD-ROM not reading any disks

We appreciate the information that you've provided. Our next step is to consider the following methods below:

• Manually update your DVD/CD-ROM driver. There are cases wherein automatic update doesn't install the compatible driver to your device. To do this, check your device support site and ensure that you've downloaded and installed the appropriate
      driver for your device.
    • Run the hardware troubleshooter to scan and automatically fix any errors preventing your
      DVD/CD-ROM to work properly. Here are the steps on how to run the troubleshooter:
      • Type Troubleshoot in the search box and press Enter.
      • Select Hardware and Devices.
      • Click Run the troubleshooter.
      • Allow the scan to complete, and then follow the on-screen instructions to complete the fix.
    • Try another CD/DVD for further isolation. If your device was able recognize other
      CD/DVD then the issue is not hardware related.

Feel free to post back if you encounter any challenges along the process.

Darwin Dim, Jun 12, 2019
  4. laptop keeps reading and dropping USB CD-ROM continuously

cd rom doesnt read cd

how can I get my cd rom to read my cds

jasonmerrell1, Jun 12, 2019
Thema:

laptop keeps reading and dropping USB CD-ROM continuously

1. laptop keeps reading and dropping USB CD-ROM continuously - Similar Threads - laptop keeps reading

2. Best Software for Reading Sampler CD ROM's?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Best Software for Reading Sampler CD ROM's?: I've been trying Daemon Tools Ultra to see if it can read the contents of a CD-Rom that is formatted for Akai music instruments. However, I'm having trouble doing this, as it seems to mount it as a "Blue Ray" drive. Also, it kept making the Internet slow and making Youtube...
  3. Best Software for Reading Sampler CD ROM's?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Best Software for Reading Sampler CD ROM's?: I've been trying Daemon Tools Ultra to see if it can read the contents of a CD-Rom that is formatted for Akai music instruments. However, I'm having trouble doing this, as it seems to mount it as a "Blue Ray" drive. Also, it kept making the Internet slow and making Youtube...
  4. Best Software for Reading Sampler CD ROM's?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. dvd/CD rom not reading

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    dvd/CD rom not reading: operating system : win 10 64 bit dvd/cd rom drives: matshita dvd-ram uj8b0 device status: This device is working properly i uninstalled all antivirus programs still not reading discs i uninstalled and reinstalled still not reading any DVD OR CD I DID SEARCH FOR...
  6. Computer is unable to read CD-ROMs for games

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer is unable to read CD-ROMs for games: I have a couple old CDs for Hot Wheels games I've owned for as long as I can remember. I have the games installed on my computer, and they worked perfectly fine before. The games both require you to put the CD in the computer before running the game application. Since I...
  7. CD ROM Drive does not read a disc

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    CD ROM Drive does not read a disc: I just purchased a new cd rom rw and the disk goes into the drive, but there is a file that is missing,can you help me get it working? My old cd rom quit doing the same thing. I have recently upgraded to windows 10 from 8.1....
  8. CD Rom

CD Rom: The D drive (CD Rom) appears in the explorer but I can't have it display the info on the disc. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cd-rom/4810c955-de87-4f6c-8106-7ede083218d8
  9. cd rom doesnt read cd

cd rom doesnt read cd: how can I get my cd rom to read my cds https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cd-rom-doesnt-read-cd/3669775c-9782-4b91-8cb8-963e4c4f60dc
  10. DVD/CD-ROM Read Problems

DVD/CD-ROM Read Problems: Hi: I have just come across a funny one. I have a program that I wanted to install into my Win 10 Pro Machine (64 Bit) and have found that the disk can not be read by the DVD/CD-ROM Drive. I also tried it in another Windows 10 Computer (64 Bit) and it also can't read...