Windows 10: Laptop keeps shutting down during sleep

Discus and support Laptop keeps shutting down during sleep in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; My laptop keeps shutting down randomly during sleep. When it turns back on I get this message: "The operating system did not shutdown cleanly.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Zachary Najarian-Najafi, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Laptop keeps shutting down during sleep

My laptop keeps shutting down randomly during sleep. When it turns back on I get this message:

"The operating system did not shutdown cleanly. Reconstructing cache metadata."

I looked in the event viewer to the entry before the last shutdown and it says:

"Connectivity state in standby: Disconnected, Reason: 7"

I have done all of the Windows Updates, updated all my drivers and BIOS, and run the power troubleshooter, but this keeps happening. Is this something I can fix on my own, or should I take the laptop to be repaired?

:)

Zachary Najarian-Najafi, Sep 28, 2020
  2. TimXB Win User

Laptop Shuts Down When it Enters Sleep Mode

Thanks for the reply, but the Power troubleshooter only came up with the solution to change my power plan. I changed it, but my laptop still won't sleep properly. It keeps doing a hard shut down. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TimXB, Sep 28, 2020
  3. SHUT DOWN / SLEEP FUNCTIONS NOT WORKING

Hi Mo,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern. I will do my best to fix the issue.

To assist you better, please provide us more information.

• What is the model number of the laptop?
    • When you say ‘’trying 4 options to enable a shut down’’ which option do you exactly refer to? Are you using any third party software to shut down the computer?
    Meanwhile, let’s try simple troubleshooting steps on sleep mode issue and check if this helps in resolving the issue.

Method 1

I recommend you to uninstall/reinstall the display adapter driver and check. Follow the below steps:

• Press Windows key + X and click on
      Device manager

• Locate for display adapter and click on it to expand.

• Right click on the device and click on
      uninstall

• Once you are done uninstalling the driver, restart the computer. It will automatically install the generic display adapter driver.
    If this doesn’t help to fix the issue. I suggest you to update the display adapter driver. Skip step3 from the above steps and right click on the
    device and click on update.

Method 2.

If the above method did not help to fix the issue, I would suggest you to
    go to the computer manufacturer website and download the latest display adapter driver. If the display driver is not available for Windows 10, try installing the available driver in compatibility mode and check.

• Right-click on the setup file of the driver and select Properties.

• Select Compatibility tab.

• Check Run this program in Compatibility mode.

• Let the driver install and then check the functionality.
    Hope it helps. Keep posting us with the status we will be glad to help you.

Billion Debbarma, Sep 28, 2020
  4. Laptop keeps shutting down during sleep

Win 10 - constantly shutting down into sleep mode every 64 minutes even when in active use!

Hi Steve,

• Did you check by setting sleep mode option to never?

If not, I suggest you to follow the steps provided below and check if it helps.

• Navigate to Start>Settings>System>Power & sleep.
    • In the right pane, select Never from the drop down list for
      Screen
      and Sleep.
    • Close the dialog box and check for status.

Hope the information is helpful. Keep us posted on the status for further assistance.

ThofikhAhamad, Sep 28, 2020
Thema:

Laptop keeps shutting down during sleep

1. Laptop keeps shutting down during sleep - Similar Threads - Laptop keeps shutting

2. Computer shuts down improperly during sleep mode

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer shuts down improperly during sleep mode: Hello, I just purchased a brand new Lenovo laptop w/ Windows 10. Whenever I put the computer into sleep mode, it will shut down on its own after 30 minutes-1 hour. I find this out as I try to wake it up from sleep and it does not awake. When I turn it on, I can see that the...
  3. Windows stops working and shuts down during sleep sessions

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows stops working and shuts down during sleep sessions: Hi there, XPS 9300 user and whenever my computer goes into sleep mode for longer than ~30minutes, it restarts when i open the lid. After running a reliability report, I find out that "windows has stopped working" and "windows was not properly shut down." Any help...
  4. Laptop Shut Down During Update

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Laptop Shut Down During Update: I was running the latest update for Windows 10 but didnt realise my laptop Dell Inspiron 55-5578 wasn't plugged in. Last I checked, the update got to around 30% before the laptop died. I tried turning it back on a few times, but only got to the automatic repair page. From...
  5. Laptop shuts down when it goes to sleep

Laptop shuts down when it goes to sleep: So every time my Asus laptop goes to sleep, it shuts down, no matter how little time it is in sleep mode. I have checked the settings available for power and battery and there is nothing that helps in solving this problem. I have updated my Windows 10 to the latest version...
  6. Windows 10 deletes programs during sleep/shut down.

Windows 10 deletes programs during sleep/shut down.: I recently updated windows 10, I had no updated it in awhile and it caused problems. Often when I shut down, restart, or sleep/standby my laptop I find certain files VLC Player, Discord Chat, Google Chrome, etc will be gone. The shortcut will be missing from the desktop and...
  7. Sleep and Shut Down

Sleep and Shut Down: Using Windows 10. After last update, when I put my computer to sleep and then close the lid, it shuts itself down. Power settings are all as before the update.....I selected the option to have the computer go to sleep when the lid is closed. Anyone else having this...
  8. My laptop keeps shutting down instead of going to sleep

My laptop keeps shutting down instead of going to sleep: Hi, I have a question. Instead of going to sleep mode i.e. when I close the lid on my laptop, the screen goes off but the computer keeps running for several minutes and then shuts down. It does the same when I choose shutdown, instead of shutting down in 10 seconds or so as...
  9. HP Pavilion g6 Laptop Keeps Shutting Down During PC Reset

HP Pavilion g6 Laptop Keeps Shutting Down During PC Reset: My HP Pavilion g6 computer has been repeatedly shutting down in the middle of a reset to the entire computer that would clear all the files and settings so I could start fresh. I want to wipe everything off, but once it's in the middle of resetting, it can't make it past 4%...
  10. Keeps Shutting Down

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Keeps Shutting Down: Hi, For about 3 days my laptop keeps shutting down on it;s own. I have tried several ways to stop it: REGEDIT Windows Defenders Scans Antivirus Scans (McAfee) and Microsoft Safety Scanner None of them have founds anything in the system. How can I fix this problem?...