Windows 10: Laptop keyboard and touchpad randomly do not work

Discus and support Laptop keyboard and touchpad randomly do not work in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Ever since I've upgraded my dad's laptop to Windows 10, the keyboard and touchpad stop working randomly, and would work only after I restart the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by krytoned, Aug 24, 2015.

1. krytoned Win User

Laptop keyboard and touchpad randomly do not work

Ever since I've upgraded my dad's laptop to Windows 10, the keyboard and touchpad stop working randomly, and would work only after I restart the computer. (logging off, switch user, standby mode doesn't resolve it.)
    There is no pattern to it. Sometimes it would be ok for a few days, sometimes it would happen again after a few hours. I mostly do internet browsing on the laptop.

When the problem occurred:
    - The keyboard AND the touchpad would both stop working at the same time.
    - USB mouse still works. (I do not have an external keyboard to test)
    - The lights on the keys themselves (eg caps lock, wifi) would still remain on if they're activated but cannot be toggled on/off as usual.
    - The device manager still showed no problems with the mouse or keyboard.

Things I've tried:
    - sfc /scannow
    - disabled sticky keys
    - used the generic drivers for keyboard and touchpad
    - reinstalled the drivers for keyboard and touchpad
    - updated to the latest synaptics driver
    - made a new synaptics trackpad profile
    - disabled touchpad when using the USB mouse

Laptop stats:
    HP Pavillion dm1-4002AU
    Windows 10 Home 64bit (upgraded from Win7 and then reset to a fresh state)
    AMD Radeon HD 6230 Graphics
    6GB RAM
    Synaptics Driver Version: 19.0.12.95 06Jul15
    Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad
    Lenovo ThinkPad PS/2 keyboard

This is very exasperating. I would appreciate some help in stopping this problem permanently, thanks.

:)

krytoned, Aug 24, 2015

2. keyboard buttons problem

hi.

I have annoying problem with my laptop.

Yesterday something happened and my keyboard started to act weird. At first it was just randomly spamming buttons and my touchpad was lagging (now touchpad works fine, but buttons still randomly spams when i turn on laptop and write my password, although
    when i log in, it stops doing that).

And there is one more weird thing. Every time i press button h or ESC. Windows closes one of apps i have open and when all of them are closed, shut down window.

Any ideas for solutions?

LaurisJākobsons, Aug 24, 2015
  3. Touchpad and Keyboard are not working during windows installation.

Normally touchpad and keyboard works fine but when I try to install windows, the first page of windows installation process appears and then my touchpad and keyboard doesn't work. There are a lot of tutorial available on the internet about mouse and keyboard
    but I didn't get a single tutorial about laptop touchpad and keyboard. What should I do??

My laptop model Dell Inspiron 3542.

Tonmoy Ghosh, Aug 24, 2015
  4. OpaSmurf Win User

I am having the same problem. Is there any update on this ??

OpaSmurf, Aug 1, 2016
  5. GarySt Win User
    Having the SAME problem on thinkpad Yoga!

GarySt, Oct 20, 2016
  6. EdTittel Win User
    Been there, done that, and in every case in my personal experience (Lenovo and Dell tablets and notebooks) the Synaptics driver was the problem. I notice that the generic Synaptics drivers on their download page are up to version 19.0.19.1. Have you tried one of these (you probably need the SMBus version)?

Windows 10 PS/2 & SMBus Devices v19.0.19.1*

Windows 10 I2C Devices v19.0.19.1*

HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 20, 2016
  7. GarySt Win User
    Thanks Ed Tittel,
    I thought I managed to fix it with the Synaptics drivers as you suggests. So I went to install all of them. But now I see that the problem is still on. Every couple of hours/days suddenly the keyboard stops working completely, and only after restart/hibernate-rehibernate it becomes responsive again.

GarySt, Nov 10, 2016
  8. EdTittel Win User

Sorry for your trouble. Keep messing around with the drivers. Sooner or later, you'll find a combination that works for your rig (or rigs).
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Nov 10, 2016
  9. GarySt Win User
    Okay, thanks. I will try to install your first suggested driver (indeed, what is the second one?)

GarySt, Nov 15, 2016
  10. EdTittel Win User
    SMBus and IC2 are two different kinds of "attachment chips" that enable the touchpad to hook itself into a device chain on some port or another. Each uses different drivers because each is based on slightly different hardware (SMBus is a strict subset of IC2/I2C, in fact). If you look under "System devices" in DevMgr, you'll see SMBus on most notebooks, laptops, or tablets, and IC2 on certain others. Here's a screencap from my Lenovo X220 Tablet showing the SMBus device item:

Laptop keyboard and touchpad randomly do not work [​IMG]

If you really want to root around in the gory details here's a technical discussion: Comparing the IC Bus to the SMBus - Application Note - Maxim.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Nov 15, 2016
  11. GarySt Win User
    Hmm....a new year...but still the same problem: I updated all my drivers using Driver Booster 4 (a shareware that automatically updates all your drivers) and the same problem persists: random switching off of the keyboard on my Yoga Thinkpad s2, Win10, 64bit.

GarySt, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Laptop keyboard and touchpad randomly do not work - Similar Threads - Laptop keyboard touchpad

2. Keyboard and Touchpad not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard and Touchpad not working: HID compliant keyboard and touchpad drivers disappeared on surface book 2 running windows 10 pro. I tried updating drivers, then uninstalling and rebooting system and they never came back. Keyboard LED lights up, FN button lights up, detach button works. Touchpad and regular...
  3. Keyboard and Touchpad Not Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard and Touchpad Not Working: Hey Guys,Since today morning, the onboard Input Devices keyboard and touchpad have stopped working on my MSI Stealth M15 A11UEKV. This happened unexpectedly upon booting the computer while plugged in after its battery had been completely drained. It seems to be some sort of...
  4. Touchpad and laptop keyboard not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Touchpad and laptop keyboard not working: Hi, I use my laptop all the time at uni for studying. Today I noticed the touchpad and keyboard no longer work when I use them, but my wireless keyboard and mouse works. It was last working on Friday 2/9.I check for all updates including optional on my computer and installed...
  5. Touchpad and laptop keyboard not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Touchpad and laptop keyboard not working: Hi, I use my laptop all the time at uni for studying. Today I noticed the touchpad and keyboard no longer work when I use them, but my wireless keyboard and mouse works. It was last working on Friday 2/9.I check for all updates including optional on my computer and installed...
  6. Laptop TouchPad locks up and keyboard types randomly

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop TouchPad locks up and keyboard types randomly: Hello Redditors, Recently my keyboard has started to type in random letters when I try to type in something and when this occurs, my touchpad will also lock up. This problem occurs now every time I boot up the laptop and encounter the login screen, I've plugged in a USB...
  7. Keyboard and Touchpad not working.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard and Touchpad not working.: I am currently typing through on-screen keyboard, so please bear with me. Yesterday, two finger scroll didn't work so I searched for possible fixes. First method I tried suggested thst I uninstall the device, then reinstall i have tried this method with other device and it...
  8. Laptop Keyboard and TouchPad Only Work Sporadically

Laptop Keyboard and TouchPad Only Work Sporadically: Lenovo Ideapad Flex 4 1580 Keyboard & Touchpad/Cursor Not Activating ‎The keyboard and touchpad/cursor stop working...usually after having the laptop wake up from sleep mode. Rebooting doesn't work. It just seems to magically start working again eventually. It is not in...
  9. laptop keyboard and touchpad not working

laptop keyboard and touchpad not working: Problem: computer starts up normally and goes to the password log-in screen, but nothing happens when I try to enter the password. The computer doesn't appear to see any keystrokes. Solutions tried: rebooted removed and replaced main battery attached USB keyboard hit...
  10. Keyboard/touchpad stop working randomly

Keyboard/touchpad stop working randomly: This has happened a lot since my upgrade to Windows 10, and it's really starting to get on my nerves. Seemingly randomly, my keyboard will stop responding to what I type, and my touchpad completely stops as well (no, I did not accidentally click to disable it). These problems...