Windows 10: Laptop keyboard does not work after waking from sleep

Discus and support Laptop keyboard does not work after waking from sleep in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have a HP Pavilion laptop, and in the last week, the keyboard has stopped working when I wake the computer from sleep. I am still able to log on... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by FlukeLee, Mar 10, 2019.

1. FlukeLee Win User

Laptop keyboard does not work after waking from sleep

I have a HP Pavilion laptop, and in the last week, the keyboard has stopped working when I wake the computer from sleep. I am still able to log on using the on-screen touch keyboard. After about 30 seconds after I have logged in, the physical keyboard starts working again.

I have tried the HP hardware diagnostics (didn't get anything meaningful results). Windows Update states everything is up-to-date for my current build (1803).

Any suggestions?

:)

FlukeLee, Mar 10, 2019

2. Using laptop as desktop - can't wake it from sleep with wireless mouse or keyboard.

• I'm having a very difficult time following the narrative in your last five (5) replies.
    I've tried to be as clear and concise as possible.

• Have you or have you not installed Avast Free?
    I hadn't uninstalled it, only deactivated it; but just now I did uninstall it, then re-booted the laptop, put it to sleep and tried to wake it using the mouse. No luck.

• You just posted: "Just now, I disconnected the mouse, keyboard and monitor; manually put it to sleep using the Start Menu icons (because the lid action is still set to do nothing); closed the lid; and when I opened the lid it woke up."
    • So the Notebook PC (laptop) "wakes up" now as long as the external devices (i.e., mouse; keyboard; monitor) are not connected to the ASUS device, is that correct?
    Mouse and keyboard connected or disconnected doesn't have any effect on what happens:

- Opening the lid wakes the laptop.

- If the lid is already open and I put the laptop to sleep, pressing the power button wakes up the laptop.

- Lid open or closed, if I put the laptop to sleep and try to wake it using the mouse or keyboard, nothing happens.

eljaycanuck, Mar 10, 2019
  3. After Creators Update, keyboard no longer works after waking from sleep

Same problem, but with laptop keyboard. None of the four steps listed above resolved the issue.

One thing I discovered is that the problem only occurs when the laptop is running off battery power; presumably, something is turning the keyboard off during sleep to save power, but is not turning it back on when waking the laptop back up. I can use the
    touchscreen to sign back in, but even then, the keyboard does not turn back on. If I plug the laptop in, put it in sleep mode, then resume, the keyboard works again; but this hardly addresses the issue.

Under device manager > keyboards > HID keyboard device > properties > power management, "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is unchecked and grayed out. "Allow this device to wake the computer" is checked. Windows says the driver is
    up to date. Not sure what else to try.

privacypenguin, Mar 10, 2019
  4. Laptop keyboard does not work after waking from sleep

wake from sleep issue in windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting your reply. Apologize for the delay in response.

I suggest you to check which devices are configured to wake up the computer from sleep by following the steps below:

• Right click on Start icon and select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Type the command line below:
    Powercfg /devicequery wake_armed

3. Check if the devices (Keyboard, Mouse, Ethernet cable) are listed.

If the system is not going to sleep and going to Hybernate, the only option to wake up is to press the Power button.

Hope the information is helpful.

Eeshwar Kumar, Mar 10, 2019
Thema:

Laptop keyboard does not work after waking from sleep

1. Laptop keyboard does not work after waking from sleep - Similar Threads - Laptop keyboard does

2. Bluetooth does not work after computer Wakes from Sleep or Hibernate.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bluetooth does not work after computer Wakes from Sleep or Hibernate.: Pretty much the title. Bluetooth no longer works after computer wakes from Sleep or Hibernate. I have already tried DISM, sfc & restarting Bluetooth servcies. Nothing works. Trying to stop or restart any Bluetooth service just returns an error. How do I fix this?...
  3. Bluetooth does not work after computer Wakes from Sleep or Hibernate.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Bluetooth does not work after computer Wakes from Sleep or Hibernate.: Pretty much the title. Bluetooth no longer works after computer wakes from Sleep or Hibernate. I have already tried DISM, sfc & restarting Bluetooth servcies. Nothing works. Trying to stop or restart any Bluetooth service just returns an error. How do I fix this?...
  4. Keyboard Not Recognized After Wake From Sleep

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard Not Recognized After Wake From Sleep: My Corsair K70 RGB keyboard is not recognized after waking my Windows 10 computer from sleep. The only way to get the keyboard working again is using any of the two options listed below: disconnect and reconnect the keyboard to the two rear USB 2.0 ports shutdown the...
  5. Ethernet does not work after PC wakes up from sleep

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Ethernet does not work after PC wakes up from sleep: Title. Basically it can be "fixed" by disabling/enabling the adapter in device manager, but I'd like to have this fixed properly. Alredy tried: * updated driver * unticked "allow this device to be disabled" in properties of the device * disabled green ethernet and energy...
  6. Laptop's keyboard won't wake up laptop from sleep

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop's keyboard won't wake up laptop from sleep: Hello, I fixed the previous issue I had where if the laptop went to sleep, it won't wake up. (did this by disabling hard drive sleep) But now the problem is that the laptop's keyboard won't wake the laptop from sleep, only the power button. I already went checked Device...
  7. keyboard not working after waking up from sleep

keyboard not working after waking up from sleep: Hi, I have a dell desktop running windows 10, all patches and updates are applied both from Microsoft and Dell. The computer goes to sleep after 30 minutes, and at least twice a day, when I wake it up the keyboard doesn't work, and I get a pop up message that a usb device...
  8. Keyboard and monitor doesn’t work after waking from Sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Keyboard and monitor doesn’t work after waking from Sleep: I have installed Windows 10 on my desktop. I always try to restart after a "sleep" by pressing the mouse button. It usually starts ok, but sometimes the monitor and keyboard don't activate. I have to power off/power on to get them working again. ***Modified title from:...
  9. Keyboard/Mouse not working randomly after waking up from sleep

Keyboard/Mouse not working randomly after waking up from sleep: So there are a couple of times (not very often) when my keyboard OR mouse doesn't work after waking up my Win 10 system from sleep. What I do is to let it sleep and wake it up again and everything seems to be normal again. Not something major but definitely an annoyance. The...
  10. Taskbar does not work after waking from sleep mode

in Windows 10 Support
    Taskbar does not work after waking from sleep mode: Whenever I put my laptop to sleep and wake it up again, most taskbar functions fail to work. I cannot access the start, wifi, volume, or action menus. I also cannot access the jump lists on my pinned icons. However, I can still open programs from the pinned icons....