Windows 10: Laptop Keyboard Intermittent Key Failure

Discus and support Laptop Keyboard Intermittent Key Failure in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I just purchased an Alienware 17R3 running Windows 10. My BIOS, drivers and Alienware/Dell applications are up to date, thanks to my tech... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by soulfish5, Aug 14, 2016.

1. soulfish5 Win User

Laptop Keyboard Intermittent Key Failure

Hi,

I just purchased an Alienware 17R3 running Windows 10.
    My BIOS, drivers and Alienware/Dell applications are up to date, thanks to my tech support phone call today.
    When I start my laptop, if it has been sitting more than 30 minutes, I have several keys fail to respond.
    The keys are 4, 5, e, t y, f, g, v, b. ( I have to double check to be sure of the exact keys.)
    If I leave the laptop on for 5-10 minuets they will eventually start to work.
    Once it starts working, I can use the computer as much as I want to, restart it or shut it off for less than 30 minutes, and the keys will continue to work.

I then ran the two tests.
    I started the computer, after letting it sit for 30 minutes, and verified the keys mentioned did not work. I then attached a Bluetooth keyboard and all of the keys did work. I then tried the laptop keyboard again, and it still did not work.

I let the computer sit and verified the e key did not work. I then rebooted the laptop using a clonezilla usb key. All of the keys worked immediately.
    I then restarted the laptop and booted into windows. All of the keys immediately worked.
    * I don't know if it has any bearing on the situation, but in order to boot from the USB stick, i had to turn off UEFA and enable legacy boot support. I then had to re-enable UEFA in order to boot from windows.

I am kind of stumped. I would rather not reinstall windows.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Brandon

:)

soulfish5, Aug 14, 2016

2. Windows 10 randomly will not accept password

If and when it happens again use this tip to confirm whether you have an intermittent keyboard problem.

You can check for a malfunctioning keyboard by using the Ease of Access keyboard to enter the password. On the computer log in screen place the cursor in the password entry box, click the Ease of Access icon (third icon from left bottom right
    corner of screen), click On Screen Keyboard and enter password using that keyboard,

Currently many users have reported that there are intermittent problems with Microsoft Account passwords. This has been showing itself in a number of ways. All seem to be associated with Windows Live. Logging in (signing in) to these forums was for me the
    first way it manifest itself. Since then I have noticed password failures accessing OneDrive, links to these forums and to OneDrive from Outlook failing, failures to access other Microsoft sites etc. There are workarounds but your intermittent failure to login
    to your computer is most likely a result of the same problem. Until Microsoft fix the problem you need to be aware of workarounds available.

Gerry C J Cornell, Aug 14, 2016
  3. KAYINFL Win User
    laptop keyboard and touchpad don't work

I am using a Lenovo B590.

No recent changes -- I had it running next to my desktop downloading some genealogy data and when I tried to Alt-Tab to another screen I discovered the keyboard was no longer responsive.

I have been able to attach an external keyboard so I can now use the computer, but the laptop's keyboard is still dead. The Touchpad is intermittently responsive. The Touchpad keys (left and right) work, but the pad itself is intermittent.

KAYINFL, Aug 14, 2016
Thema:

Laptop Keyboard Intermittent Key Failure

1. Laptop Keyboard Intermittent Key Failure - Similar Threads - Laptop Keyboard Intermittent

2. Windows 10 laptop Intermittent keys

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 laptop Intermittent keys: I recently restored Windows 10 on my laptop – since then, several keys work intermittently: g, h, @, Alt, uparrow, 0 and 1 on numeric keypad. The problem occurs randomly and disappears apparently randomly. This is a Windows software issue – not a dirty keyboard issue. Joe...
  3. Windows 10 laptop Intermittent keys

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 laptop Intermittent keys: I recently restored Windows 10 on my laptop – since then, several keys work intermittently: g, h, @, Alt, uparrow, 0 and 1 on numeric keypad. The problem occurs randomly and disappears apparently randomly. This is a Windows software issue – not a dirty keyboard issue. Joe...
  4. Certain Keys on Keyboard Working Intermittently Then Not at All

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Certain Keys on Keyboard Working Intermittently Then Not at All: Hello all! My W, 2, and f1 keys have gradually stopped working and now don't work at all. I am currently coping and pasting w and using numpad for 2. I have a G15 5511 Dell laptop. I already tried doing a clean boot, using the keyboard troubleshooter, looking for corrupted...
  5. Certain Keys on Keyboard Working Intermittently Then Not at All

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Certain Keys on Keyboard Working Intermittently Then Not at All: Hello all! My W, 2, and f1 keys have gradually stopped working and now don't work at all. I am currently coping and pasting w and using numpad for 2. I have a G15 5511 Dell laptop. I already tried doing a clean boot, using the keyboard troubleshooter, looking for corrupted...
  6. Specific laptop keyboard keys work intermittently

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Specific laptop keyboard keys work intermittently: Throughout the past few months, specific keys on my laptop keyboard have been working intermittently. These include 't', 'y' and 'o'. At times, I will have to press and hold these keys for them to be registered, at other times they operate as they should. I have several of...
  7. Intermittent Connection Failure

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Intermittent Connection Failure: There is a website server that is getting intermittent connection failures. The log is showing just a 500 status. This is what the log shows me from time to time. /login.aspNULL200 /NULL302...
  8. The m, c and shift keys on my laptop keyboard intermittently stop working.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    The m, c and shift keys on my laptop keyboard intermittently stop working.: The m, c and shift keys on my laptop keyboard intermittently stop working. This always happens when the computer starts up from being completely shut down or after it has been in sleep or hibernate mode. To make m, c and shift keys work again, I press the m and k keys at...
  9. Intermittent key failure of the same 6 keys

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Intermittent key failure of the same 6 keys: The keys for "Caps Lock, S, 5, 0, = and Delete" on my ASUS laptop intermittently do not respond on initial touch and will require many presses or, when its really bad, I have to resort to copy and paste particularly the S. There appears to be no reason and no trigger for...
  10. Intermittent pin logon failures

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Intermittent pin logon failures: I am experiencing intermittent pin logon failures. It is random, sometimes logging me in and other times reporting pin is not available. I disabled the pin for now....