Windows 10: Laptop keyboard not turning on after shutdown

Discus and support Laptop keyboard not turning on after shutdown in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi there, I've been noticing a really weird issue with my ASUS laptop keyboard - the keyboard just sometimes doesn't work. Sometimes, the keyboard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by RiceCandy, Dec 21, 2019.

1. RiceCandy Win User

Laptop keyboard not turning on after shutdown

Hi there,

I've been noticing a really weird issue with my ASUS laptop keyboard - the keyboard just sometimes doesn't work. Sometimes, the keyboard does not respond at all after start up backlight is off, keys are unresponsive, etc.

I've logged in and checked under Device Manager, and PC/AT Enhanced PS/2 Keyboard 101/102-Key is always listed. I suspected this was a driver issue, so I've done a multitude of things to try solving this - updating the driver, uninstalling it, even resetting my PC but keeping my personal files yet nothing seems to change the problem. Once I shut off my PC and my keyboard shuts off, the keyboard won't turn back on during startup. The backlight is just off and it's unresponsive to any input but I have noticed my caps locks light will turn on and off depending on what I toggle the on-screen keyboard to be.

At times, updating the driver/uninstalling it/even just waiting 20 minutes will eventually turn my keyboard back on, but it's inconsistent. I've found that when my keyboard is on, there are other devices listed in the device manager keyboards besides the PS/2 Keyboard. Two different ones will show up: the HID Keyboard device and my ASUS number pad. My ASUS number pad did have an error on it Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information in the registry is incomplete or damaged. Code 19 and I've since fixed it by updating the driver and selecting the HID available on my laptop.

Either way, when the ASUS number pad is visible under keyboards, along with my HID Keyboard, it means my laptop keyboard is functioning. I can restart my laptop and the keyboard will continue working I've noticed the backlight never shuts off when I do this. I sort of suspect there's a driver conflict, but I'm not 100% sure and was looking for some help in that regard. I'm trying to figure out why my laptop keyboard just stays shut off after I shut down my device and how to have it just, well, start up and function as it should.

:)

RiceCandy, Dec 21, 2019

2. Shutdown problem on my Windows 10 laptop.

Hello,

We suggest that you follow the troubleshooting steps below to resolve the issues with the shutdown function of your laptop:

• Type Troubleshooting in the search bar beside the Windows icon.
    • Select Troubleshooting from the results.
    • Under System and Security, select Fix Problems with Windows Update.
    • Choose Troubleshoot as an Administrator.

Let us know if the steps above worked for you.

Jennifer Bri, Dec 21, 2019
  3. Zeeba# Win User
    My hp laptop wont turn on

This is a frequent problem am sure as you have already seen from online searches.

Flea power is usually the culprit here, basically its residual power that remains on the computer even after thecomputer has been shutdown. You can drain the flea power with the steps the other answers have suggested.

• Disconnecting the battery and adapter
    • Press the hardpress the power button for 30 seconds
    • This should clear the flea power

If this doesnt work, read this article its about
    a dell inspiron
    but the same applies for you hp. It has some detailed step by step instructions

Zeeba#, Dec 21, 2019
  4. Laptop keyboard not turning on after shutdown

Shutdown then Immediately Restarts

Try below command:

Code:
    Code:
    shutdown -h now
    If above command wont work try below suggestion.

1. Click the “K” menu in the bottom left corner.
    2. Click “Logout”.
    3. Knoppix will begin shutting down.
    4. The Knoppix CD will be ejected.
    5. Remove the CD and close the tray.
    6. Press Enter on the keyboard.
    7. Knoppix will attempt to turn off the computer automatically. If it doesn't turn off automatically, it is now safe to turn off the computer yourself using the power button.

FreeBooter, Dec 21, 2019
Thema:

Laptop keyboard not turning on after shutdown

1. Laptop keyboard not turning on after shutdown - Similar Threads - Laptop keyboard turning

2. My laptop turns on again after shutdown

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My laptop turns on again after shutdown: the pop up appears when I try to shut down my laptop, I've done it like on youtube but it still doesn't work. please help me thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-turns-on-again-after-shutdown/41e4c375-7784-48eb-a93b-807388220b21
  3. My laptop turns on again after shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop turns on again after shutdown: the pop up appears when I try to shut down my laptop, I've done it like on youtube but it still doesn't work. please help me thank you. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-laptop-turns-on-again-after-shutdown/41e4c375-7784-48eb-a93b-807388220b21
  4. My laptop turns on again after shutdown

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. My laptop isn't turning on after shutdown.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My laptop isn't turning on after shutdown.: sometimes when i turn on my laptop the indicators light up but the screen remains black then i have to long press power button for shutdown and then turn it on again for it to work. i have updated all the drivers so the issue shouldn't be there. is it a windows issue? what...
  6. My laptop isn't turning on after shutdown.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    My laptop isn't turning on after shutdown.: sometimes when i turn on my laptop the indicators light up but the screen remains black then i have to long press power button for shutdown and then turn it on again for it to work. i have updated all the drivers so the issue shouldn't be there. is it a windows issue? what...
  7. What to do when laptop is not turning ON after update and shutdown

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    What to do when laptop is not turning ON after update and shutdown: My hp laptop is not turning ON after I did update and shutdown yesterday, it's just showing HP's loading screen and a restarting window and is alternatively showing these two loading screens . What should I do?...
  8. Laptop automatically logs me in after I turn on laptop after shutdown

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Laptop automatically logs me in after I turn on laptop after shutdown: Hi, my laptop automatically logs me in. This happens after I turn on my laptop after shutdown. It does not happen when I turn on my laptop from sleep mode. I have tried to get rid of this problem many times but it always turned out to be a temporary solution. Please tell me...
  9. Laptop won't turn on after doing an "Update and Shutdown" yesterday

Laptop won't turn on after doing an "Update and Shutdown" yesterday: I have been working from home using my own personal laptop, HP Envy with Windows 10. And last night after getting done working I went to shutdown my laptop as I do every day, and the "Update and Shutdown" was there. Which of course I clicked on it because I wanted my laptop...
  10. Laptop turns on itself instantly after a normal shutdown

Laptop turns on itself instantly after a normal shutdown: [ATTACH]Hello, I'm facing a problem past couple days with my ASUS Zenbook 14 UM425-IA that is: Everytime I shutdown my laptop, it turns on automatically after the shutdown, displaying on the lockscreen a message: A problem has occurred and your pin is not available, press...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. laptop keyboard not turning off after shutdown