Windows 10: Laptop Keyboard Not Working, Tried Everything

Discus and support Laptop Keyboard Not Working, Tried Everything in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; Hello,I have a Dell XPS 13 that is only two years old and I've been having some issues with the keyboard, as in - I turn the laptop on and none of the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by LuckhamB, Aug 4, 2021.

1. LuckhamB Win User

Laptop Keyboard Not Working, Tried Everything

Hello,I have a Dell XPS 13 that is only two years old and I've been having some issues with the keyboard, as in - I turn the laptop on and none of the keys work.I took it in somewhere to get it fixed and they did a full diagnostic and scan and said it was fine. Now about three weeks later, it's basically worse than it was before.I have tried:Updating the keyboard driverUninstalling the driverTroubleshooting the keyboardChecking for updatesI can enter into the BIOS menu sometimesI don't know what it is I do, but eventually it starts working again, at random times, and after I've restarted it

:)

LuckhamB, Aug 4, 2021
  2. Ticked Win User

laptop keyboard and touchpad not working

Problem: computer starts up normally and goes to the password log-in screen, but nothing happens when I try to enter the password. The computer doesn't appear to see any keystrokes.
    Solutions tried:

1. rebooted
    2. removed and replaced main battery
    3. attached USB keyboard
    4. hit Enter key on startup: successful in opening the Advance Options menu, but am unable to take any of the actions because all require that I enter the laptop password
    5. looked for an onscreen keyboard, but there isn't one because this isn't a touch screen computer
    Why I think this is a Windows issue:

1. the computer recognizes when I hit the Enter key on startup
    2. the USB keyboard doesn’t work
    3. the keyboard touchpad doesn’t work, but the attached USB mouse DOES work

Ticked, Aug 4, 2021
  3. Laptop in-built keyboard not working in Windows 10

Hi Greg Carmack - Windows MVP 2010-19:

I followed your steps one by one and the problem still persists. I'm going thorugh the results of each step:

step 1) System Restore:

When the problem first appeared I tried a system restore, but the Recovery Wizard sent me to a screen where I had to type my password to approve the restore. Since I didn't have a keyboard and there was no on-screen keyboard option, I decided to do a full
    PC Reset instead. The reset wiped all restore points that I could have had.

step 2) Update History:

Again, the full reset of Windows erased all update history, and I was left with the updates done during Windows installation. I think I acted to quickly when doing that reset, but I was desperate.

step 3) Device manager update driver.

This didn't work for automatic updates nor manual updates.

step 4) Roll back driver

Since I did a clean install of windows, it wasn't possible to roll back to the previous driver.

step 5) On-screen keyboard

On-screen keyboard does work.

step 6) Test it in repair mode

Did the repair mode and the problem persists.

step 7) Get it replaced

The laptop is not under warranty anymore and I don't think it's a hardware issue since the keyboard works perfectly in the BIOS screen.

step 8) Performing a power drain by unplugging everything and holding power button fo 30 seconds.

This didn't work.

step 9) Reset keyboard

This didn't work.

step 10) BIOS settings

There are not BIOS settings in my laptop that control the keyboard.

step 11) Windows 10 performance and install integrity checklist

Tried all steps in the checklist and nothing worked. I have done a USB clean install of Windows 10 and that did'nt work either.

step 12) Update BIOS firmaware

The BIOS has the latest update that appears in the manufacturer's website for my model. This didn't solve the keyboard problem.

step 13) Upgrade to the latest version of Windows 10

Already mentioned that on step 11, updated to version 1903 and that didn't work.

That's all. I still have an unopperative laptop keyboard. I have been comparing my laptop's device manager list with other laptop's and I found two things that are different so far:

- In my laptop's device manager, under Human Interface Devices, I have two listed devices which I don't know what they are. Both of them are called "HID-compliant consumer control device", both of them enabled and working. I only
    have an USB mouse attached to my laptop.

- In the resources tab for the ps/2 keyboard device, there are only three resources: I/O Range 0060-0060,

I/O Range 0064-0064 and IRQ. Other laptops have more than three resources listed in this tab.

I should mention that my Synaptics touchpad doesnt work either, but I didn't notice since I always use an USB mouse with my laptop.

I hope you can help me further since this is a complete mystery. Thanks and have a nice day.

Human Beaner, Aug 4, 2021
  4. Laptop Keyboard Not Working, Tried Everything

Keyboard is not working after upgrade to Windows 10.

Hi Stephen,

Please reply to the following questions:

• Did you try the suggestions posted above?

• Are you facing keyboard issues even after trying the above suggestions?

If haven’t tried, I suggest you to please perform the steps suggested in the above posts and check if either helps in resolving the issue.

Write to us with the status of the keyboard issues faced on your PC for further assistance.
    Your reply is important for us to ensure we assist you accordingly.

Thank you.

Likhitha V, Aug 4, 2021
Thema:

Laptop Keyboard Not Working, Tried Everything

1. Laptop Keyboard Not Working, Tried Everything - Similar Threads - Laptop Keyboard Working

2. Keyboard not working and mouse is not showing on screen on laptop tried everything

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keyboard not working and mouse is not showing on screen on laptop tried everything: Can anyone help me? My keyboard is not typing and my mouse has disappeared from the screen. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/keyboard-not-working-and-mouse-is-not-showing-on/90594e2a-f4f8-43d1-9bec-386162dda289
  3. Keyboard not working and mouse is not showing on screen on laptop tried everything

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard not working and mouse is not showing on screen on laptop tried everything: Can anyone help me? My keyboard is not typing and my mouse has disappeared from the screen. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/keyboard-not-working-and-mouse-is-not-showing-on/90594e2a-f4f8-43d1-9bec-386162dda289
  4. keyboard issue tried everything

in Windows 10 Gaming
    keyboard issue tried everything: My keyboard not working after latest update i have search through all the questions in microsoft but got nothing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/keyboard-issue-tried-everything/874d07e3-e505-40a6-bb40-281e82000918
  5. keyboard issue tried everything

keyboard issue tried everything: My keyboard not working after latest update i have search through all the questions in microsoft but got nothing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/keyboard-issue-tried-everything/874d07e3-e505-40a6-bb40-281e82000918
  6. keyboard not found - tried everything?

keyboard not found - tried everything?: hi everyone,i recently bought a new computer with a GMMK 2 keyboard.its windows 11. after about 1 or 2 days the keyboard stopped responding.the rgb lights are on but it wont type.ive tried:1 reinstalling keyboard driver2 uninstalling all hidden drivers3 disabling fast start...
  7. keyboard not found - tried everything?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    keyboard not found - tried everything?: hi everyone,i recently bought a new computer with a GMMK 2 keyboard.its windows 11. after about 1 or 2 days the keyboard stopped responding.the rgb lights are on but it wont type.ive tried:1 reinstalling keyboard driver2 uninstalling all hidden drivers3 disabling fast start...
  8. Keyboard and mouse are not working except everything worked

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard and mouse are not working except everything worked: Yesterday my brother is going to accept my permission to use my computer. But after 15 minutes of him using it he said "The mouse is not working". So I "forced" to restart my PC and all of the sudden it was stuck on the BIOS screen.The next day May 17 2022, when I turn on my...
  9. Can't disable the laptop keyboard, and I've tried EVERYTHING.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Can't disable the laptop keyboard, and I've tried EVERYTHING.: My laptop keyboard has gone nuts. The forward slash key is somehow stuck, but only starts typing randomly. And it only stops if I press the ~ key. If I press the N key, it makes the '/' key stuck again. And half of the keys don't work. Funny thing is, when I try pressing the...
  10. Webcams not working. Tried EVERYTHING!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Webcams not working. Tried EVERYTHING!: Hello dear friends, like the title suggests I searched the whole internet two times over for a solution and tried everything to resolve this problem. I have two different webcam models which work flawlessly on my Win10 laptop but not on my PC. Here are the facts and stuff I...