Windows 10: laptop keyboard quits working

Discus and support laptop keyboard quits working in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; What would be corrupting my user profile every day? I have to do system restore every day to get my keyboard working again. The keyboard failure... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by mkmanning, May 18, 2020.

1. mkmanning Win User

laptop keyboard quits working

What would be corrupting my user profile every day? I have to do system restore every day to get my keyboard working again. The keyboard failure occurs only in this one user account.

:)

mkmanning, May 18, 2020
  2. Rose Cal Win User

My keyboard quit working

Hi,

It is possible that your keyboard may be unresponsive due to outdated drivers or it is defective. To better assist you, we'd like to gather more information:

• Have you made any recent changes before this issue occur?
    • Have you tried connecting your keyboard to another computer and check if the issue still persist?
    • Have you tried using another keyboard and check if the issue still persist?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Meanwhile, we suggest that you check, read and follow the steps this article:
    Mouse, touchpad, and keyboard problems in Windows.
    It will let you check your hardware, wireless connection, and the device. You may also perform the instructions for Hardware Troubleshooter Drivers to download, install, and update driver.

Feel free to post back if you need more assistance.

Rose Cal, May 18, 2020
  3. keyboard quit working after installing Window 10

Hello,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

As per the description, you are experiencing issue with keyboard stopped working after installing Windows 10 on the system.

I certainly understand your concern.

In order to understand the issue more clearly, I would request you to kindly provide me with the following information.

• What is the make and model of the keyboard?

• Are you getting any error message? If yes, what is the exact error message along with the error code?
    There is a possibility that this issue might have occurred due to corrupt keyboard drivers in the computer.

I would suggest you to try the following methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:

Run inbuilt Hardware & Device troubleshooter

To diagnose the issue, let’s first try running inbuilt Hardware and Devices troubleshooter to get the problem automatically detected and fixed. It checks for common issues and makes sure that any new device or hardware attached
    to your computer was installed correctly.

• Press Windows + W keys on your keyboard to get the search option.

• Type Troubleshooting and click
      Troubleshooting.

• Now click on view all option.

• Click on Hardware and Device and follow the prompts to run the troubleshooter.
    If the issue persists, follow method 2.

Method 2:

I would suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the driver software for keyboard and check if it helps.

Note: If you are using a laptop, you have to first download the keyboard drivers from computer manufacturer before uninstalling them.

To do so, please refer to the steps given below and check if it helps.

• Type devmgmt.msc in start search box and hit
      Enter.

• In Device Manager, expand the mouse & keyboard listed in the device list.

• Right click on the driver.

• Click Uninstall.

• Reboot the computer. The drivers will get installed automatically.
    If the issue persists, follow method 3

Method 3:

I would also suggest you to try and connect an external keyboard and check if it helps. Also, check the
    behavior in on-screen keyboard. Please refer to the steps in the following Microsoft Help article given below.

Use the On-Screen Keyboard (OSK) to type

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/type-with-the-on-screen-keyboard

All the above steps holds good for Windows 10 as well.

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Jayant Gupta, May 18, 2020
  4. Ticked Win User

laptop keyboard and touchpad not working

Problem: computer starts up normally and goes to the password log-in screen, but nothing happens when I try to enter the password. The computer doesn't appear to see any keystrokes.
    Solutions tried:

1. rebooted
    2. removed and replaced main battery
    3. attached USB keyboard
    4. hit Enter key on startup: successful in opening the Advance Options menu, but am unable to take any of the actions because all require that I enter the laptop password
    5. looked for an onscreen keyboard, but there isn't one because this isn't a touch screen computer
    Why I think this is a Windows issue:

1. the computer recognizes when I hit the Enter key on startup
    2. the USB keyboard doesn’t work
    3. the keyboard touchpad doesn’t work, but the attached USB mouse DOES work

Ticked, May 18, 2020
Thema:

1. laptop keyboard quits working - Similar Threads - laptop keyboard quits

2. Dongle quit working for Sculpt Keyboard

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Dongle quit working for Sculpt Keyboard: Sculpt keyboard and mouse dongle will not connect them. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dongle-quit-working-for-sculpt-keyboard/43563011-300a-4178-bc4c-7d38f7817108
  3. Dongle quit working for Sculpt Keyboard

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Dongle quit working for Sculpt Keyboard: Sculpt keyboard and mouse dongle will not connect them. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/dongle-quit-working-for-sculpt-keyboard/43563011-300a-4178-bc4c-7d38f7817108
  4. Keyboard quit working after updates

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keyboard quit working after updates: I have an HP model 2000-2D49WM that came with windows 8. when I updated to 10, the keyboard stopped working. I have tried every possible solution I could find online.. Nothing has fixed it. I did discover that if I right click the start button then left click...
  5. Keyboard quit working after updates

Keyboard quit working after updates: I have an HP model 2000-2D49WM that came with windows 8. when I updated to 10, the keyboard stopped working. I have tried every possible solution I could find online.. Nothing has fixed it. I did discover that if I right click the start button then left click...
  6. Keyboard quit working after updates

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. what could be the issue my keyboard to quite working on my hp laptop

what could be the issue my keyboard to quite working on my hp laptop: what could be the issue my keyboard to quite working on my hp laptop https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/what-could-be-the-issue-my-keyboard-to-quite/85859192-98dc-4f61-8d4a-17e381d7c861
  8. keyboard quit working on laptop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    keyboard quit working on laptop: Hi my laptop updated itself and afterwords the built keyboard has keys that wont work plus any external keyboard i plug in doesn't work at all. A mouse is the only usb device I can get to work...
  9. keyboard and touch pad quit working

keyboard and touch pad quit working: I have an HP laptop and cannot use my laptop keyboard or touchpad. I have an external keyboard and mouse that I am currently using to type this. I did an HP diagnostics and spoke to an agent. they say it is a microsoft 10 problem. How do I fix this?...
  10. Apple keyboard quit working

Apple keyboard quit working: Out of nowhere my Apple keyboard (A1243) stopped working on Windows 10 - 64bit Home. I tried the keyboard on an old iMac & it works just fine. Device manage recognizes the keyboard & located a driver but gave it a Code 1, "The driver isn't configured properly" error. We...