Windows 10: Laptop Keyboard randomly stops working, need HARD Restart

Discus and support Laptop Keyboard randomly stops working, need HARD Restart in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Laptop Model: Asus Zephyrus M GU502GV Windows 10.0.19041 Summary: Laptop keyboard randomly stops working. Device manager process unhelpful... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Mark Vincent77, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Laptop Keyboard randomly stops working, need HARD Restart

Laptop Model: Asus Zephyrus M GU502GV
    Windows 10.0.19041

Summary: Laptop keyboard randomly stops working. Device manager process unhelpful uninstall/Reinstall/update. Restart unhelpful. So far, the only way to fix it is a hard restart holding power button 15+ seconds.

The keyboard is backlit and remains so even when the keys stop functioning. I've tried almost every suggested fix and troubleshooting here Except a Bios update. Sadly none have worked. I've also failed to replicate the circumstances that make the keyboard stop functioning. As far as I know, it happens randomly. Incident frequency is also variable. The first time it happened was several months ago when I learned of the Hard Restart option, and didn't happen again until recently.

Today, It happened 3 times. Once while I was gaming, another while watching Youtube, and also after waking up the laptop from SLEEP. Interestingly,It has never happened WHILE I was using the keyboard. It always catches me by surprise, when I start typing again and the keyboard has stopped working.

With the troubleshooting I've done, I've only come up with a few leads. Besides only being fixed with ahard restart, I've also noticed patterns in the Dev manager.

Currently, I've 3 HID Keyboard Device items and 1 PC/AT Enhanced PS/2 Keyboard. Apparently, they are all plugged in. HOWEVER, when the keyboard does stop functioning, I've noticed that I'm only left with 1 HID Keyboard Device items and the 1 PC/AT Enhanced PS/2 Keyboard. THEN, under USB controllers, I get the yellow /!\ symbol under "Unknown USB Device Device Descriptor Request Failed. This has happened too many times to be a coincidence.

Can anyone help, please?

:)

Mark Vincent77, Jun 27, 2020
  2. mwake Win User

Built-in keyboard in laptop randomly stops working / no response

Try again with the pictures... I also included other pictures of the damage the heat has done to the plastic chassis of the laptop. Over the years the heat has become so extreme that bits of plastic around the exhaust grill has melted or chipped off. Also, you can see how the underside of the keyboard takes the brunt of the heat from the CPU fan and battery which sits just underneath the keyboard wires (in fact just a bit of tape separates the keyboard flat cable and the swollen battery.

Laptop Keyboard randomly stops working, need HARD Restart [​IMG]

Well, just now I tried another tactic. I remember I bought some memory from eBay to push my the capacity form 8gb to 16gb last year and they have worked flawlessly. But I just now put the original 8gb back in to see if its the memory that's causing the weirdness. Although as I've said in my experience failing memory usually gives BSOD, random lockups and hang etc. I'd be surprised how a memory could affect a laptop keyboard in this way but it could be the reason why I was getting problems at boot...

The problem usually shows itself when the laptop has to restart from a cold boot so I'm going to now do a series of a cold boot to see if the issues comes back. If not then ill put the newer 16gb memory back in and do a memory test over the weekend.

I'm starting to think the bios or the regulator that gives power to the keyboard is faulty on the mainboard. Those two issues are expensive fixes though.

mwake, Jun 27, 2020
  3. Built in keyboard not working

I recently purchased an ASUS ROG GL553VD Notebook Computer and a few weeks ago the keyboard stopped working. After a few restarts it worked again, but today the problem came back, and was not fixed by any amount of restarting. Several people on past posts said to reinstall they Keyboard driver, but there was no Keyboard section in the Device Manager. I am currently resetting the laptop to factory settings to see if that fixes the issue. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

DanielJH99, Jun 27, 2020
  4. Magmaw Win User

Laptop Keyboard randomly stops working, need HARD Restart

Keyboard randomly stopped working

My built in laptop keyboard stopped working after the computer randomly turned off by itself.

(Laptop is a Lenovo Ideapad).

I have tried:

Uninstalling drivers and scanning for hardware changes to reinstall them.

Entering safe mode (computer wouldn’t even start in safe mode).

Entering the BIOS to see if there were any changes I could make there (there weren’t).

Now I am getting Code 19 and Code 12 errors for the keyboard in Device Manager.

I’ve tried all troubleshooting steps on many websites, and nothing works.

External keyboards work when I plug them in.

Please help!!

Magmaw, Jun 27, 2020
Thema:

Laptop Keyboard randomly stops working, need HARD Restart

1. Laptop Keyboard randomly stops working, need HARD Restart - Similar Threads - Laptop Keyboard randomly

2. Laptop keyboard randomly stops working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop keyboard randomly stops working.: My laptop keyboard randomly stops working. The only way to get it back to work is by a hard reset press the power button to shut off the laptop or navigate in the system and press shut down. The it will work for an undetermined amount of time it could be few minutes, hours,...
  3. Laptop keyboard randomly stops working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop keyboard randomly stops working.: My laptop keyboard randomly stops working. The only way to get it back to work is by a hard reset press the power button to shut off the laptop or navigate in the system and press shut down. The it will work for an undetermined amount of time it could be few minutes, hours,...
  4. Laptop random hard restarts

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop random hard restarts: My laptop keeps randomly hard restarting. Full blackout, powerdown, then boot back up like nothing's happened. I've looked through Google to try and find a solution, but they all relate to similar symptoms with different errors, many of which don't have accepted solutions.The...
  5. Laptop random hard restarts

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop random hard restarts: My laptop keeps randomly hard restarting. Full blackout, powerdown, then boot back up like nothing's happened. I've looked through Google to try and find a solution, but they all relate to similar symptoms with different errors, many of which don't have accepted solutions.The...
  6. Laptop random hard restarts

7. Lenovo laptop keyboard randomly stops working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lenovo laptop keyboard randomly stops working: I have a Lenovo ThinkPad t460p whoose keyboard randomly stops working after startup and touchpad scroll also works with delay when keyboard stops working but keypad mouse works just fine,When this problem arrives and i try to restart the laptop or even shut it down, the...
  8. Lenovo laptop keyboard randomly stops working

Lenovo laptop keyboard randomly stops working: I have a Lenovo ThinkPad t460p whoose keyboard randomly stops working after startup and touchpad scroll also works with delay when keyboard stops working but keypad mouse works just fine,When this problem arrives and i try to restart the laptop or even shut it down, the...
  9. Random keys stop working on laptop keyboard

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Random keys stop working on laptop keyboard: Hello all I am at my wits end with an issue on my Dell XPS 13 7390 2 in 1 running Windows 10 Home 20H2. From time to time the { key/symbol stops working. Unfortunately I notice this very quickly as I do a lot of programming and the curly bracket symbol is a very common...
  10. My laptop keyboard randomly stopped working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    My laptop keyboard randomly stopped working: There were some glitches while I was using PowerPoint. A message telling me to use "Ctrl + T" kept popping up and the error sound with no error message. I restarted my computer a couple times. Things were back to normal. I left to go get something. When I returned the...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. laptoo keyboard randomly stops working characters