Windows 10: laptop keyboard stopped working

Discus and support laptop keyboard stopped working in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; my Windows 10 laptop keyboard stopped working, how do i fix it? it is the built-in keyboard, not a peripheral.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by ElfLyle, Feb 17, 2019.

1. ElfLyle Win User

laptop keyboard stopped working

my Windows 10 laptop keyboard stopped working, how do i fix it?

it is the built-in keyboard, not a peripheral.

:)

ElfLyle, Feb 17, 2019

2. Built in keyboard not working

I recently purchased an ASUS ROG GL553VD Notebook Computer and a few weeks ago the keyboard stopped working. After a few restarts it worked again, but today the problem came back, and was not fixed by any amount of restarting. Several people on past posts said to reinstall they Keyboard driver, but there was no Keyboard section in the Device Manager. I am currently resetting the laptop to factory settings to see if that fixes the issue. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

DanielJH99, Feb 17, 2019
  3. Pavan_N Win User
    keyboard stopped working

Hi Zunair,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft community.

1. What update are you referring to?

I suggest you to pug in external keyboard and check if it works.

Let’s troubleshoot the issue by referring to these methods and check the issue status:

Method 1:

Refer to the link to run the troubleshooter:

Windows has a built-in troubleshooter to check and fix issues with Hardware and Devices. I would suggest you to run this troubleshooter to check if the issue is with your Devices.

Refer these steps:

• Press Windows key +X, select Control panel.
    • Change the view by option on the top right to Large icons.
    • Click on troubleshooting and click on the view all option on the left panel.
    • Run the Hardware and Devices.

Method 2:

Let’s try updating the driver for the mouse and keyboard and verify the results. Follow the steps:

a) Press Windows and X key together and select Device Manager.

b) Locate the Key board device icon. Right click on the driver icon.

c) Select Update driver software.

c) Select "browse my computer for a driver software".

d) Select “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”.

e) Select the driver option according your device model and installed.

f) If this does not work, follow the steps from ‘a’ to ‘c’ and select “Search automatically for the updated driver”.

g) Choose the same steps to update the driver for keyboard as well.

Check if it resolves the issue. If not, I would suggest you to download and install the latest available drivers for the keyboard from manufacturer website of the laptop. If the issue still persists, install the driver in Windows Compatibility mode and check
    if that helps.

Method 3: Compatibility mode

Follow the steps below on how to install driver in compatibility mode:

1. Download the driver from the manufacturer’s website and save it on your local disk.

2. Right click on the setup file of the driver and select “Properties”.

3. Select “Compatibility” Tab.

4. Place a check mark next to “Run this program in Compatibility mode” and select operating system from the drop down list.

5. Let the driver install and then check the functionality.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to

help.

Thanks.

Pavan_N, Feb 17, 2019
  4. Rhina Vib Win User

Laptop keys stopped working

Hi Lindax,

There are several possible reasons why your Windows 10 laptop keys stopped working. It can be because of hardware or driver issues.

For us to better assist you with this concern, we need to ask a few questions:

• Were there any changes made prior to this issue?
    • Are you getting any error messages?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you tried so far?

For troubleshooting steps to help resolve keyboard issues, you can refer to the article on this

link

Additionally, you can run Windows Defender or any 3rd party antivirus to check and delete possible malware.

Looking forward to your reply.

Thank you.

Rhina Vib, Feb 17, 2019
Thema:

1. laptop keyboard stopped working - Similar Threads - laptop keyboard stopped

2. Laptop keyboard randomly stops working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop keyboard randomly stops working.: My laptop keyboard randomly stops working. The only way to get it back to work is by a hard reset press the power button to shut off the laptop or navigate in the system and press shut down. The it will work for an undetermined amount of time it could be few minutes, hours,...
  3. Laptop keyboard randomly stops working.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop keyboard randomly stops working.: My laptop keyboard randomly stops working. The only way to get it back to work is by a hard reset press the power button to shut off the laptop or navigate in the system and press shut down. The it will work for an undetermined amount of time it could be few minutes, hours,...
  4. Laptop keyboard stops working.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop keyboard stops working.: Hello, My lenovo laptops keyboard stops working after a few minutes. When i restart, it works again and then stops after few minutes.When i connect an external usb keyboard that works fine.Any possible reason/solution?I've already tried famous fixes such as driver...
  5. Laptop keyboard stops working.

Laptop keyboard stops working.: Hello, My lenovo laptops keyboard stops working after a few minutes. When i restart, it works again and then stops after few minutes.When i connect an external usb keyboard that works fine.Any possible reason/solution?I've already tried famous fixes such as driver...
  6. Built-in laptop Keyboard stopped working ASUS laptop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Built-in laptop Keyboard stopped working ASUS laptop: Hello community,I ran a 22 kb application did not recieve any warnings about it from antiviruses thinking it was meant to apply an update to another application as it has an appropriate name, but as soon as I presses it, Cybersight Ransomstopper detected it and reported that...
  7. Laptop Keyboard Stops Working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop Keyboard Stops Working: Hi everybody,IT'S URGENT.My laptop keyboard stopped working. Some keys are not working at all. This is an issue a very BIG issue. Could anybody help me fix it??I have also googled how to fix this issue, tried doing everything, all the steps they said. But it is not working at...
  8. Laptop Keyboard Stops Working

Laptop Keyboard Stops Working: Hi everybody,IT'S URGENT.My laptop keyboard stopped working. Some keys are not working at all. This is an issue a very BIG issue. Could anybody help me fix it??I have also googled how to fix this issue, tried doing everything, all the steps they said. But it is not working at...
  9. Laptop's Keyboard stopped working completely

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop's Keyboard stopped working completely: I was working on my computer it was working well till last night.Some days earlier my touchpad and keyboard both were behaving abnormally but I found that problem was in Mice and other pointing device's driver so I just disabled it and my problem was resolved. But I don't...
  10. Keyboard stops working on Dell laptop

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Keyboard stops working on Dell laptop: Hello! I am having a keyboard issue with my Dell Inspiron 3585. It started failing after the recent update on windows about a week ago. It works flawlessly for about 15 hours after restarting my laptop and then stops working. I have tried uninstalling the keyboard driver in...