Windows 10: Laptop keyboard won't type letters at windows login unless logged-in under Microsoft account.

Discus and support Laptop keyboard won't type letters at windows login unless logged-in under Microsoft account. in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; OK, so this is pretty weird. Updated older HP laptop to Win 10 and was working ok. Then upgraded to SSD to see if I could get a couple more years out... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by PatrickPitman, Feb 12, 2019.

1. Laptop keyboard won't type letters at windows login unless logged-in under Microsoft account.

OK, so this is pretty weird. Updated older HP laptop to Win 10 and was working ok. Then upgraded to SSD to see if I could get a couple more years out of her. Worked ok until Creator's update. Then at login, the keyboard wouldn't type letters, only numbers so couldn't login. Then tried login options and selected Microsoft account. Now the keyboard letters work. What the heck is going on with this?

:)

PatrickPitman, Feb 12, 2019

2. Unable to Login to the Laptop Using Microsoft Account Password.

Hi Dane,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

To have better clarity on the issue, answer the below-listed questions and get back to us.

1. Did you make any changes to the computer prior to this issue?
    2. Do you have any other Administrator User Accounts in your computer?
    3. What is the complete error message that you get when trying to login to your laptop?
    4. If you are using a Microsoft Account, are you able to login to
      login.live.com
      ?

Try the below steps and see if this helps.

Step 1: Once you are at the login screen, click on the
    Ease Of Access
    icon on the bottom right corner of the login screen and click on
    On-Screen Keyboard.

Step 2: Once the On-Screen Keyboard is up and running, type the correct password using the
    On-Screen Keyboard and see if you are able to login to your computer.

Also, try to change the Keyboard Layout From the Login Screen and see if this helps.

For references, you may also go through the steps mentioned in
    When you can't sign in to your Microsoft account

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking Yes or No.

Shafeeq_Khan, Feb 12, 2019
  3. Keyboard not typing letters

Hi Bob,

Sorry for the delay in replying. I would suggest you to try the Onscreen keyboard and check if it helps.

Please have a look at this article and check if it helps. Even though the article is for Windows 8.1, the option to enable the onscreen keyboard is the same.

Use the On-Screen Keyboard (OSK) to type

After you are able to log in, I would suggest you to change the log in option or you may follow the steps provided by Neha Gupta to update the drivers and check if it helps.

Thank you.

Rohit Chettri, Feb 12, 2019
  4. lvvvvvl Win User

Laptop keyboard won't type letters at windows login unless logged-in under Microsoft account.

Keyboard letters don't work to login to Windows User account.

Hello,

For the last few days, I can't seem to be able to login to my user account on the windows login screen.

When it boots and asks me to type my user password, I try typing but the letters won't work. The numbers work fine, as do the system keys (ctrl, enter, space, shift etc..) but I can't type letters. My mouse works perfectly.

Sometimes after a few reboots, it does let me type again but then stops working on the next reboot.

I've tried using the Ease of Access on-screen keyboard provided in the windows login screen, but when I try hit the letter keys with my mouse, they don't work there either.

I finally figured out I can choose the option to login via my microsoft account instead of the user password, and when I select the microsoft account option, the letter keys work fine to type the password!

I'm running Windows 10 on my Dell XPS 15 (9550) with touch screen.

I don't know if it may be related but I did update my dell with the suggested updates (some bios one, alongside a few others) around the same time the issue started.

What could it be?

Thank you.

lvvvvvl, Feb 12, 2019
Thema:

Laptop keyboard won't type letters at windows login unless logged-in under Microsoft account.

1. Laptop keyboard won't type letters at windows login unless logged-in under Microsoft account. - Similar Threads - Laptop keyboard won't

2. Laptop Keyboard Won't Type

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Laptop Keyboard Won't Type: Hello! I use a Dell Inspiron 13, which I got a little over a year ago. I was using it today to type up an email, and had to move, so I simply closed my laptop and headed out. When I opened it again and tried to use the keyboard on the laptop, it did not type anything. I went...
  3. Laptop keyboard types extra letters

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Laptop keyboard types extra letters: Hello,Yesterday i had no issues with my laptop. Today i opened it up and couldnt type my pin. After some time I managed to do it with external keyboard. Every time i type a letter the letter types but also leters: a *space* osrs. So if i type "j" i get ja osrs. I reinstalled...
  4. Laptop keyboard types extra letters

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop keyboard types extra letters: Hello,Yesterday i had no issues with my laptop. Today i opened it up and couldnt type my pin. After some time I managed to do it with external keyboard. Every time i type a letter the letter types but also leters: a *space* osrs. So if i type "j" i get ja osrs. I reinstalled...
  5. Laptop keyboard types extra letters

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Keyboard On My Laptop Won't Type letters back to back.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Keyboard On My Laptop Won't Type letters back to back.: If I type the "W" key twice the second "W" won't type without me either pressing the key again or hitting another key. It doesn't matter what key it is either. I have tried turning filter keys on and back off again and also troubleshot "Hardware and Devices" multiple times....
  7. Chinese Keyboard Won't Type Certain Letters

in Windows 10 Customization
    Chinese Keyboard Won't Type Certain Letters: The Chinese Keyboard in language settings won't let me type certain letters such as X, I, U, V so I'm not able to type out certain words such as "xia"...
  8. keyboard won't type - can't log in

in Windows 10 Customization
    keyboard won't type - can't log in: After using Lenovo desktop running Windows 10 yesterday, turning power on today the keyboard does not type, nor does the on-screen keyboard work, so a password can not be entered. Shift+Restart has no effect. Control+Alt+Delete has no effect. Windows icon not visible....
  9. Login Keyboard Letter Keys Won't Work

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Login Keyboard Letter Keys Won't Work: This morning the letters keys on my keyboard won't work at login pin. Everything else works, just the letters. I tried different keyboards. Filter keys is off....
  10. Microsoft word won't type letters

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft word won't type letters: I cannot type in Microsoft word. My laptop won't let me https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-word-wont-type-letters/91fe049b-99b5-41eb-bc7c-ded8f1a9aee7