Windows 10: Laptop keyboards broken/double key after Windows updates - Hell Corner

Discus and support Laptop keyboards broken/double key after Windows updates - Hell Corner in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I have had a problem losing 2 laptop keyboards to 2 consecutive windows updates where I attempted to tackle the issue and here are my findings since I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by nIGHTmAYOR, Oct 10, 2018.

1. Laptop keyboards broken/double key after Windows updates - Hell Corner

I have had a problem losing 2 laptop keyboards to 2 consecutive windows updates where I attempted to tackle the issue and here are my findings since I am starting to see this problem escalating to so many users of the forum and online :

1 - If you are like me with the habit of leaving laptop running over night for downloads , encoding , etc there might rise issue of overheat for prolonged times after windows update resulting from re-indexing files / search optimization (Superfetch) , unscheduled defrags , re-optimizing executable files (Prefetch / Superfetch) , creating a restore point , antivirus getting all spooky from the massive system change ... the result is , your system keeps running at extreme heat condition for like a couple of days after update , where the keyboard being placed right above the CPU/HDD would undergo similar condition to the pancake situation heating on a pan , end result is your keyboard gets fried eventually and fried keyboards do not end up 100% dead but they may well just act bizercal like skipping keys or double keying where you may notice that most keys with problems are the ones right above heat spots (CPU / Sink Rod / HDD / SSD) .

2 - So yes your keyboard is lets say "busted" hardware wise , changing it would instantly solve the problem , however the problem may rise again if you did not manage to clear the heat issue .

3 - Having a cooling pad / vacuum fan does not save you , just makes it take a little longer while .

So bottom line is :

I suggest you disable superfetch / prefetch / system restore / defrag schedule and try to run them manually one at a time later to avoid the "Pan Effect" Microsoft Windows updates have .

Cheers *Cool

:)

nIGHTmAYOR, Oct 10, 2018

2. Windows 10 Laptop Keyboard Keys Acting Strange

Hi,

I realize that you are facing issues with the keyboard on your PC. I will try to help you with this issue.

Suggest you to plug in an external keyboard to the laptop to check if that helps.

Further you may also use the onscreen keyboard to check if that helps.

Follow these steps to launch the On-screen keyboard:

• Press Windows key + R to get the run window.

• Type “osk” and hit enter to launch the On-screen keyboard and check if this helps.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Thank you.

Srimadhwa B, Oct 10, 2018
  3. The lastest update has broken my laptop keyboard

Hi Samantha,

I realize that the laptop keyboard is not working properly after an update in Windows 10. I will try to help you with this issue.

Please answer the question to get more clarity on this issue:

• Does the issue persists when you plug in the USB keyboard?

Suggest you to use the on-screen keyboard to check if that helps.

Follow these steps to launch the On-screen keyboard:

• Press Windows key + R to get the run window.

• Type “osk” and hit enter to launch the On-screen keyboard and check if this helps.

You may want to open a notepad and type using that key to check if that key works fine.

For a quick cleaning, turn the keyboard upside down and use a can of compressed air to blow out any foreign matter. Be sure to do this in a location where falling debris can be cleaned up easily. Turn the keyboard upside down and tap on it a
    few times. You should see a bit of dirt fall out. Change the angle and tap harder to make most of it get out.

Clean the sides of the keys with a clean cotton swab dipped in isopropyl alcohol.

Keep us informed to help you further.

Srimadhwa B, Oct 10, 2018
  4. Laptop keyboards broken/double key after Windows updates - Hell Corner

Keyboards from my HP Laptop and my MSI gt70 Dominator.!!

Hi Brain,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community and being part of Windows 10.

I understand that you are unable to access the keyboard keys on your laptop. We will help you with this issue.

Do let us know the following to assist you better:

• Have you have made any changes to the device (hardware/ software) prior to this issue?
    • Have you installed all the pending updates on your device?

This issue might have occurred due to corrupted/ outdated drivers. Use the working external keyboard to try the below troubleshooting steps.

Step 1: I suggest you to run Hardware and Devices troubleshooter.

Hardware and Devices troubleshooter checks for common problems and makes sure that any new device or hardware connected to your PC is installed correctly.

• Press Windows key from the keyboard, type
      Troubleshooting and select it.
    • Click on view all option on the upper left corner of
      Troubleshooting window.
    • Select the Hardware and Device options from the list.
    • Click Next to run the Hardware and Device
      Troubleshooter.

Step 2: I suggest you to Update the keyboard drivers.

• Press Windows key + X key when you are at desktop.
    • Select Device Manager.
    • Expand Keyboard.
    • Right click on the Keyboard driver and click on
      Update driver software.

Step 3: I suggest you to install the pending updates on your device.

Steps:

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type
      updates.
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on
      Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

Hope it helps. Kindly update the status of this issue, we will be happy to help you further.

Deepika Gowda, Oct 10, 2018
Thema:

Laptop keyboards broken/double key after Windows updates - Hell Corner

1. Laptop keyboards broken/double key after Windows updates - Hell Corner - Similar Threads - Laptop keyboards broken

2. Double symbols on laptop keyboard ~~ ^^ ``

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Double symbols on laptop keyboard ~~ ^^ ``: So I'm having trouble fixing double symbols appearing when pressing the keyboard just once. The symbols are: ~~ ^^ ´´ and I can't type accent letters such as: ã, á, é, etc.I've tried every fix I've found on the internet such as uninstalling my drivers on device manager,...
  3. Keyboard typing double keys.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Keyboard typing double keys.: I'm having issues with my keyboard. Pressing certain keys types two keys. The key combos that do this are "v and g" gv "b and h" hb, and "m and spacebar" m . https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/keyboard-typing-double-keys/a7ed0c21-0891-48c2-ab52-3e73329bd764
  4. Microsoft Input Lag (Keyboards Acting Up) - Hell Corner

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Microsoft Input Lag (Keyboards Acting Up) - Hell Corner: So basically I have came to face the situation once of an acting up keyboard on a laptop that I had it replaced and everything got back to normal and I called it today , but this post isn't about this clearly brainless case . Its more about later on as I started having...
  5. Nvidia Laptop users using NVSlimmer beware - Hell Corner

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Nvidia Laptop users using NVSlimmer beware - Hell Corner: So this fine day I woke up to my laptop's second GPU being recognized as not working 3D Video Card , everything surrounding the case seemed like it went busted , it wouldn't update driver , attempting to remove the driver worked , but re-installing it using official stock...
  6. Laptop keyboard typing double letters on certain keys

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop keyboard typing double letters on certain keys: My laptop keyboard is typing double letters on certain keys An example: t is t5, y is y6, [ is [-, and ] is ]\. Is there anyway to fix that problem?...
  7. Unfixable Disk operation slowdown after KB4471332 update - Hell Corner

Unfixable Disk operation slowdown after KB4471332 update - Hell Corner: So basically despite I would have expected a lot of people to have reported this but apparently nobody kind of believe disk IO to be of a significant importance despite we pay dearly just to get an SSD or an Optane drive just because they are faster *sarc So before someone...
  8. Gamepad / Joypad Hell Corner

Gamepad / Joypad Hell Corner: **This is an informative post , you can skip it if you are just here to help** I have been caught up with an issue with few gamepads i had that worked just fine in the past but been giving me hell lately one windows 10 , the issue lead me to realize few facts that i want to...
  9. Windows 10 Automatic Driver Updates Hell Corner

Windows 10 Automatic Driver Updates Hell Corner: So it's been a month that i have been having a glitching windows that i have been clueless at first of why it is doing that , been having "Stub" errors on running anything that requires administrative rights from first go then works from the second go , at first received...
  10. Microsoft Store Hell Corner

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Store Hell Corner: I have 2 laptops running windows 10 version 1709 that managed to develop issues almost the same time : Laptop 1 : Lately managed to hide a lot of store apps icons and tiles from start menu but I can still run them from store itself also leaving at the bottom of start...