Windows 10: Laptop keys also typing adjacent characters

Discus and support Laptop keys also typing adjacent characters in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Suddenly as of this morning multiple keys on my laptop type their own key but also other characters. It mostly is just additional symbols rather than... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by HenryChinaski, Oct 19, 2016.

1. Laptop keys also typing adjacent characters

Suddenly as of this morning multiple keys on my laptop type their own key but also other characters. It mostly is just additional symbols rather than letters and tends to be the characters next door which they type.

For example:
    1) typing 'p' gives 'p['
    2) typing '0' gives '0-'
    3) typing '-' gives '0-' also
    4) typing '.' gives './'
    5) typing '/' gives './' also
    6) typing ';' gives ';''
    7) and vice versa
    Also num pad is not working!

So in short it's like a number of adjacent keys have become fused to each other.

I have tested this and it occurs in all programs and windows. On screen keyboard works fine though.

I have so far uninstalled the device driver rebooted and let it reinstall - changed nothing.

Can anybody help?
    Thanks
    Henry

:)

HenryChinaski, Oct 19, 2016

2. Laptop keys also typing adjacent characters

Hi Henry,

On the given sample you posted, it looks like that they are patterned to the key next or before to it. Its not jumbling to to other key like typing 'a' gives 'b'. Have you tried using an external keyboard? Or you can try the screen keyboard if its the same?

Let us know how it goes.

Angelo Bar, Oct 19, 2016
  3. Laptop keys also typing adjacent characters

Suddenly as of this morning multiple keys on my laptop type their own key but also other characters. It mostly is just additional symbols rather than letters and tends to be the characters next door
    which they type.

For example:

1) typing 'p' gives 'p['

2) typing '0' gives '0-'

3) typing '-' gives '0-' also

4) typing '.' gives './'

5) typing '/' gives './' also

6) typing ';' gives ';''

7) and vice versa

Also num pad is not working!

So in short it's like a number of adjacent keys have become fused to each other.

I have tested this and it occurs in all programs and windows. On screen keyboard works fine though.

I have so far uninstalled the device driver rebooted and let it reinstall - changed nothing.

Can anybody help?

Thanks

Henry

HenryBukowski, Oct 19, 2016
  4. EdTittel Win User

Laptop keys also typing adjacent characters

Do you have another keyboard you can plug in and try? That will tell you if it's the keyboard (problem will not show with replacement) or the keyboard-to-PC interface (problem will persist with replacement). If you don't have an extra yourself, maybe you can borrow one from a friend /family/colleague/neighbor...?
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Oct 19, 2016
Thema:

Laptop keys also typing adjacent characters

1. Laptop keys also typing adjacent characters - Similar Threads - Laptop keys typing

2. Keys are typing the wrong characters

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keys are typing the wrong characters: Ive been having an issue in which when I press keys that have two symbols that require shift to type, such as the AT symbol or the brackets, it types a completely different character. For example, pressing shift and 2 produces ", pressing shift and 0 produces = instead of the...
  3. Keys are typing the wrong characters

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keys are typing the wrong characters: Ive been having an issue in which when I press keys that have two symbols that require shift to type, such as the AT symbol or the brackets, it types a completely different character. For example, pressing shift and 2 produces ", pressing shift and 0 produces = instead of the...
  4. keys typing wrong characters on windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    keys typing wrong characters on windows 10: Hello,so basically the keyboard in my laptop is typing wrong characters: the "P" key types P and right after opens the context menu, and when I press context menu key it does the same thing; the backspace key does not work unless I hold it for a while, and sometimes it types...
  5. keys typing wrong characters on windows 10

keys typing wrong characters on windows 10: Hello,so basically the keyboard in my laptop is typing wrong characters: the "P" key types P and right after opens the context menu, and when I press context menu key it does the same thing; the backspace key does not work unless I hold it for a while, and sometimes it types...
  6. keys typing wrong characters on windows 10

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Laptop keyboard typing 2 characters

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop keyboard typing 2 characters: When i press the key 1 on the top of the letter key, it gives the display as 1z. And on pressing the key z, I get the display 1z. This also happens with other keys, for eg, pressing 8 gives 8,8 and comma and pressing ,comma gives 8. Most of the keys are malfunctioning in this...
  8. Laptop keyboard typing 2 characters

Laptop keyboard typing 2 characters: When i press the key 1 on the top of the letter key, it gives the display as 1z. And on pressing the key z, I get the display 1z. This also happens with other keys, for eg, pressing 8 gives 8,8 and comma and pressing ,comma gives 8. Most of the keys are malfunctioning in this...
  9. Typing characters issue

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Typing characters issue: Why does my laptop keyboard type different characters than what is intended? It only does it occasionally like tpis. <---example: p for h Rigpt now I'm using Cprome. I go to MS Edge and it is fine. I go to MS Excel, Word, it is normal. I pave to close everytping and...
  10. Laptop Keyboard typing wrong character on & off

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Laptop Keyboard typing wrong character on & off: When typing on my laptop keyboard, letter ‘M’key suddenly starts typing ‘R’ instead. It goes back to normal after rebooting. Pls note: 1. This is not a case of having NUMLOCK or the wrong language selected. 2. Does not happen when there’s an external keyboard connected....