Windows 10: Laptop lid close settings no longer working

Discus and support Laptop lid close settings no longer working in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Recently, possibly because of a system update, my settings with an external monitor no longer work. I had my power options set to - plugged in, when i... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by hulapluto, Dec 22, 2019.

1. hulapluto Win User

Laptop lid close settings no longer working

Recently, possibly because of a system update, my settings with an external monitor no longer work. I had my power options set to - plugged in, when i close my laptop screen -do nothing. And that worked, when I closed my laptop screen my external monitor still worked as a secondary monitor. Now when I close my laptop the desktop shifts over to my external monitor, toolbars and all. NOT what I wanted. All my power/laptop lid options are still set to do nothing, but if I view my screens options the laptop screen is there, so windows is shutting off the laptop monitor now instead ofdo nothing.

Anyone shed some light on how to fix this? It's annoying.

:)

hulapluto, Dec 22, 2019

2. Laptop does not shutdown when i click shutdown and close the lid, it sleeps instead.

Hi Gan,

This scenario happens when your Power Options is misconfigured. For us to have this isolated, we suggest that you follow these steps:

• Click on Start.
    • Select Settings.
    • Click on System.
    • Select Power & sleep tab.
    • On the right side, click on Additional power settings.
    • On the left pane, select Choose what closing the lid does.
    • Under Power button and lid settings, click the drop down next to
      When I close the lid.
    • Select Shut down.
    • Click on Save changes button.
    • When you’re ready to make your PC shut down, close your laptop's lid.

Note: Every time that you will close the lid, your laptop will automatically shut down.

Let us know if you have other concerns.

Janeane Cru, Dec 22, 2019
  3. Ruz San Win User
    Laptop restarts after closing the lid

Hi,

It appears that your laptop hibernates when you close its lid. This feature terminates running processes on your machine since it allows the system to use very little power. If
    Do nothing is already selected for Choose what closing the lid does
    in Power Options, let's try to make hibernation unavailable. Follow these steps:

• Right-click on the Windows icon on your home screen.
    • Select Command Prompt (Admin).
    • Click Yes if you get a prompt window.
    • Type powercfg.exe /hibernate off then press Enter.
    See if this will prevent the laptop from hibernating when you close the lid.

Let us know how it turns out.

Ruz San, Dec 22, 2019
  4. Laptop lid close settings no longer working

Laptop goes to sleep when the LID is closed while playing the game.

Hello,

I realize the inconvenience you are facing in your laptop regarding the sleep mode while playing game. We will help you.

To assist you better, I suggest you to answer the below questions.

• Have you connected the external monitor to the Laptop?
    • Did you make any recent changes prior to the issue?
    • Are you facing this issue specifically when playing the specific Game?
    • Are you facing this issue after any recent updates installed?
    This issue might have caused due to the power settings for the closing of LID is set to sleep mode.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Press Windows + X keys and select the Control Panel.
    • Select Power options by searching in search box.
    • Right side select Change Plan setting next to the power plans.
    • Select the Change advanced Power plan settings.
    • Under the list select and expand Power buttons and lid.
    • Select Turn off the display under the drop down of setting.
    • Click Apply. Ok.
    • Close the LID and Check if the issue resolves.
    Please post to us with the results to help you better.

Sachin Venkatesh, Dec 22, 2019
Thema:

Laptop lid close settings no longer working

1. Laptop lid close settings no longer working - Similar Threads - Laptop lid close

2. Laptop shuts down with lid closed despite settings

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Laptop shuts down with lid closed despite settings: The other day, my work laptop insisted on installing some huge update. Now, DESPITE all of the Power Settings and What To Do When Lid Is Closed Settings clearly stating otherwise, my machine seemingly insists upon shutting down - rather than going to sleep - upon shutting the...
  3. turning on laptop with lid closed

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    turning on laptop with lid closed: I have an HP Spectre and use to two 4k monitors. How can I turn the laptop on without opening the lid? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/turning-on-laptop-with-lid-closed/f5b9171f-8310-4a33-93b0-2f1403b1d2fa
  4. ThinkPad laptop shuts down when closing lid, even with the "When I close the lid setting"...

in Windows 10 Customization
    ThinkPad laptop shuts down when closing lid, even with the "When I close the lid setting"...: My work ThinkPad laptop shuts down when closing lid, even with the "When I close the lid setting" set to "Do Nothing". I am using external monitor and I want to be able to just keep the laptop lid closed. What am I doing wrong? [ATTACH]...
  5. Close Lid Laptop Hibernates

Close Lid Laptop Hibernates: Hi! I have followed the Advanced Power Settings threads and chose "Do Nothing" when I close the lid. That's not working! When I close the lid, the laptop hibernates and all the monitors go to sleep - it says no power connection! Please help!...
  6. VNC with laptop lid closed

VNC with laptop lid closed: I use a VNC service to remotely manage hundreds laptops that are stored in a HP laptop cart so they will charge and be connected to ethernet. They are used in a classroom environment and perform required support functions between classes and at night. We recently upgraded...
  7. laptop with lid closed won't change sleep settings

laptop with lid closed won't change sleep settings: Hello all, We use Dell laptops at my office. Power & Sleep settings under 'Sleep' are battery - sleep in 20 minutes, plugged in - sleep Never. Most of our users have the laptops in a docking station (Dell Latitude E-series dock) or use a USB-C/Thunderbolt dock (Dell WD19TB)...
  8. Monitor settings when close laptop lid

Monitor settings when close laptop lid: Hi, I usually connect a secondary monitor to my laptop and close the lid. This worked fine until today. When I close the lid the monitor indicates that the source settings are higher than it can handle and it indicates me to change them to 1600x900 60Hz. However, I can't do...
  9. Windows 10 laptop no longer sleeping when lid closed

Windows 10 laptop no longer sleeping when lid closed: My Lenovo Yoga 910, since updates in late 2018, is no longer sleeping when I close the lid. I'll pull it out of my backpack sleeve and it will be overheating from lack of airflow or the battery will be dead. I have power settings set to sleep when lid closed, display turn off...
  10. Closing my laptop lid

in Windows 10 Support
    Closing my laptop lid: Hello, I'm new to windows 10, just had it installed last week and so far, I like it. A problem I'm running into is when I close the lid on my laptop and then open it again after a while, it shuts down and goes to the hp screen. What I would like is, when I close the lid and...