Windows 10: Laptop lid closed “do nothing” but only with external monitor connected

Discus and support Laptop lid closed “do nothing” but only with external monitor connected in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Apologies if this has been posted before. I like using my laptop as a desktop when I’m at home and connect it to an external 4K monitor. Naturally this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/MJayKay, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Laptop lid closed “do nothing” but only with external monitor connected

Apologies if this has been posted before. I like using my laptop as a desktop when I’m at home and connect it to an external 4K monitor. Naturally this works well when I enable the setting where the computer stays awake with the lid closed. But anytime I’m not at home I’d prefer that closing the lid would cause the computer to sleep. Both cases I use it plugged in because of poor battery life. From what I’ve found this is not possible but I can’t help but think there could be a way to write a script to allow this. If anyone has any ideas I’d be willing to give it a try.

I also found this post about this but it doesn’t look like there’s a solution.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...osed-but/d312d96a-eaae-41c8-955e-4d501d84a45a

submitted by /u/MJayKay
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/MJayKay, Mar 5, 2021

2. Windows 10 sleeps when using external monitor and closing the laptop lid.

Hey Likitha

Thanks for your response.

Before we assist further, I would like to ask you a few questions:

• Have you set Sleep function to activate on closing the laptop lid?
    • Did you check if the laptop goes to sleep when not connected to external monitor and lid closed?

To respond to your questions

(1) I have set the sleep function to operate on laptop lid close only when the laptop is on battery power. When it is plugged in I have set it to do not sleep ever.

(2) I have tested that it does *not* go to sleep when I the laptop is plugged in and I close the laptop lid

Further information:

(1) When I first turned the laptop on I attached it to the monitor and closed the lid. It then ran successfully for approximately an hour before hibernating.

(2) I then restarted the system, external monitor plugged in, lid closed and it went to hibernate after approximately 2 minutes.

MelbourneAl, Mar 5, 2021
  3. DCSans Win User
    Closing laptop lid shuts down external monitor

I have a laptop, (Windows 10) with an external monitor. Whenever I close the laptop lid after powering up the computer the monitor goes dark. How can I power up, close the lid and keep the monitor live?

DCSans, Mar 5, 2021
  4. Laptop lid closed “do nothing” but only with external monitor connected

How can I set my laptop to sleep when closing a lid when not connected to an external monitor, and stay on when I close the lid when connected to an External Monitor.

When I sit down at my desk, I connect my laptop to an external monitor. I close the lid sometimes to use an external Mouse and Keyboard while i stow my laptop under my monitor. However, if my external monitor wasn't connected, Id like the laptop to fall
    asleep. This feature was available on my Chromebook, and I've heard it was available on older versions of windows, Linux, and Mac OS. Anyway I can activate this feature on Windows 10?

TL;DR

Is this possible on Windows 10?

With external display connected - Closing the lid WON'T put the laptop into sleep mode.

Without external display connected - Closing the lid WILL put the laptop into sleep mode.

JamaalBurah, Mar 5, 2021
Thema:

Laptop lid closed “do nothing” but only with external monitor connected

1. Laptop lid closed “do nothing” but only with external monitor connected - Similar Threads - Laptop lid closed

2. I want to be able to close the lid and do nothing when my external monitor is connected. If...

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    I want to be able to close the lid and do nothing when my external monitor is connected. If...: I want to be able to close the lid and do nothing when my external monitor is connected. If it is not connected I want the pc to sleep when I close the lid. Is there an option available or people at Microsoft is still considering whether to build this option into Windows 10 /...
  3. I want to be able to close the lid and do nothing when my external monitor is connected. If...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I want to be able to close the lid and do nothing when my external monitor is connected. If...: I want to be able to close the lid and do nothing when my external monitor is connected. If it is not connected I want the pc to sleep when I close the lid. Is there an option available or people at Microsoft is still considering whether to build this option into Windows 10 /...
  4. I want to be able to close the lid and do nothing when my external monitor is connected. If...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Keep external monitors on when laptop lid is closed

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Keep external monitors on when laptop lid is closed: I use 2 external monitors and when I was setting up my ThinkPad - I do not see where I can have the external monitors stay on once I close the laptop lid. I have Windows Pro 11....
  6. Keep external monitors on when laptop lid is closed

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Keep external monitors on when laptop lid is closed: I use 2 external monitors and when I was setting up my ThinkPad - I do not see where I can have the external monitors stay on once I close the laptop lid. I have Windows Pro 11....
  7. Closing laptop lid does nothing

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Closing laptop lid does nothing: I have tried changing the settings in control panels, updated all the drivers and even clean installed a new copy of windows 10 but nothing seems to work. The thing is the laptop goes to sleep when power button is pressed but does nothing when the lid is closed. I have an HP...
  8. Closing the lid; do nothing

Closing the lid; do nothing: I'm trying to keep my laptop screen from turning off when I close the lid. I changed the settings in the Power Options under "When I close the lid, Plugged in" from sleep to Do Nothing my laptop is always plugged in. However, despite this, the screen still blacks out when I...
  9. Using External Monitors with lid closed

Using External Monitors with lid closed: I had my set up work before. I have a laptop and 2 monitors. One monitor is connected via VGA cord and the other via HDMI. When I shut the lid of the laptop the monitor connected via VGA disconnects and wants to go into power saving mode, like if the computer went to...
  10. Close laptop lid - external monitor

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    Close laptop lid - external monitor: I have a laptop monitor and an external monitor and set things up so the display is extended On my old Windows 10 laptop, when I shut the lid of the laptop, all the windows on that screen would just move to external monitor. My new laptop (Asus) does not do this and the...