Windows 10: Laptop - Low FPS Problem since I updated Windows 10

Discus and support Laptop - Low FPS Problem since I updated Windows 10 in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; On Oct. 26, I updated Windows 10 and I thought it would be pretty harmless. Then, a few hours later, I tried to play Fortnite and my FPS dropped and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by HowIsThisPossible, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Laptop - Low FPS Problem since I updated Windows 10

On Oct. 26, I updated Windows 10 and I thought it would be pretty harmless. Then, a few hours later, I tried to play Fortnite and my FPS dropped and became unstable. I thought that maybe it could only be Fortnite, so I tested Overwatch and Minecraft, but they all have FPS problems. I did not install anything suspicious or possible malware to cause this to happen.

So then, I had the tech support at my university try to the fix the problem. I actually had a similar issue like this a few months ago, but when after they reinstalled Windows for me, the problem was fixed. This time, they ran scans to check for malware or viruses and they also cleaned out my laptop. They found no malware, so they reinstalled Windows for me again, but the problem was still there this time.

Then, I tried to reinstall my graphics drivers and used a DDU to completely uninstall my NVIDIA drivers and install the most recent one. I did the same for my Intel graphics drivers as well. I've reinstalled my drivers so many times already. None of this worked as well, so I decided to reset my PC and delete everything, but that didn't work either.

Then, I used Windows Media Creation Tool to clean install Windows 10 using a thumb drive, but that also didn't work.

Now, I have talked to multiple Microsoft support agents to try to fix this and I already have a Support Escalation Engineer looking into my problem, but in the meantime, I've tried to see what could have even caused this. One support agent tried to solve this by telling me to install a previous Windows 10 build using an .iso file of 1709 and I thought this would have fixed the problem, but it didn't. Although, I feel that there's a possibility that Windows updated something, which could be causing the problem. But since that didn't work, I clean installed the 1809 build, which I am currently using. Another support agent told me to use the Windows Media Creation Tool to do "Upgrade PC" and told me to use wushowhide to temporarily stop updates and said that doing this would install the origin build of 1803 without any updates from after the origin, but this just upgraded my PC to 1809, so I could try this solution again, but I feel like using "Upgrade PC" will only install the latest build. If someone could help me install 1803 from the origin build, that'd be great to try.

Anyway, before I updated Windows 10 when I wasn't having this problem, my FPS while playing Fortnite was around a constant 70-80, but now it drops to 10-30 FPS. I always played Fortntie on the lowest settings on 1600x900 resolution. And in Minecraft, I usually had 100+ FPS and it stayed above 100, but now, it can drop to 30-40 and is unstable.

I have set Fortnite to use the NVIDIA GPU, but both GPUs (Intel and NVIDIA) are used and the Intel GPU is used a lot more for some odd reason. The NVIDIA GPU usage stays around 20% while the Intel GPU usage can go up to 90%. I've noticed that when the Intel GPU goes lower, the FPS on Fortnite goes up, but then it starts to tank when the Intel GPU spikes up to 70-90% usage. I don't even want the laptop to use the Intel GPU for gaming, but I don't think it's possible. The CPU usage seems pretty normal as well, it usually never goes above 50% while Fortnite is running.

I have my power options on Balanced, but I never needed to change it before this problem started happening, so I doubt that's the issue. I also don't remember having to mess with the Intel Control Panel, but even doing that doesn't help my issue.

I seriously have no clue at this point what is causing the FPS issue. Also, when I have a game running, my entire laptop slows down. I don't know what the GPU usages looked like before this problem started happening. I feel like I have tried everything. The fact that going to 1709 doesn't help is just making this whole thing weird. I don't think this is a hardware issue because in the first minute of the game running, the FPS seems normal, but then it starts to drop. I'm sure it has to do with the GPU usage and I'm positive this all started after I updated Windows.

Model: ASUS K501UX

Processor: Intel Core i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50ghz

RAM: 8 gb

HDD: SSD 256 GB

Graphics Card: Nvidia Geforce GTX 950m, Intel HD Graphics 520

Win10 Build: 1809

The temperatures are normal.

I've only had the laptop for 2 years.

Also, I'm pretty sure when I updated Windows on Oct. 26, the build was 1803.

:)

HowIsThisPossible, Nov 27, 2018
  2. Don_714 Win User

Low FPS Problems

One Thing I had realize Is that On windows 7 there is no low fps and I have windows 10 and Intel core I.3 chip and the computer is brand new. Fro some reason I have Low Fps and don't worry I did a virus scan already.

Don_714, Nov 27, 2018
  3. XavierZx Win User
    Low FPS in Gaming

Hi there, I am using Dell Vostro 5470.

The specs of my laptop is:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4200U CPU @ 1.60GHz 2.30GHz

RAM: 4GB

System type: 64-bit OS, x64-based processor

Graphic Card: GeForce GT740M

Yesterday, I updated to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1.

After the update, I have experienced terrible lag in a game (Heroes of Newerth). Before the update, I was playing it smoothly without problem like low FPS. Now, the FPS is only 4-5.

After that, I use the Diplay Driver Uninstaller(DDU) to uninstall my drivers and update to the latest one.

It doesn't works.

How can I solve this?

Thank you.

XavierZx, Nov 27, 2018
  4. id FREEK Win User

Laptop - Low FPS Problem since I updated Windows 10

Low FPS Windows 10

What is your integrated graphics processor unit (GPU) on this laptop?

I think it will be a 3D unit if you can play League of Legends. If this is true you are in luck because the GPU on your laptop should be a NVIDIA or ATI graphics unit and there should be a windows 10 driver update for it.

To establish what GPU you have on the laptop and get the correct windows 10 driver for it do the following.

• Right click on the
      Laptop - Low FPS Problem since I updated Windows 10 e629780f-209e-4a70-995a-5d359c010896.jpg
      in the bottom left of your screen.
    • Select Control Panel from the list.
    • Left click on system.
    • Left click on Device Manager.
    • Left click on the right pointing arrow next to the display adapters to see the (GPU) details.
    • Go to the manufacture of your GPU to get the driver for that GPU.
    I hope this helps "Good luck"

id FREEK, Nov 27, 2018
Thema:

Laptop - Low FPS Problem since I updated Windows 10

1. Laptop - Low FPS Problem since I updated Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Laptop Low FPS

2. Low Fps Problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Low Fps Problem: Hello everyone, recently i had low fps on my device when running games. after about 5-10 minutes the fps start to drop from 60 to 10 / 20reducing graphic don't resolve any problem it just getting worse. I tested roblox on my laptop and the fps low when running 5-10 minutes...
  3. Low Fps Problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Low Fps Problem: Hello everyone, recently i had low fps on my device when running games. after about 5-10 minutes the fps start to drop from 60 to 10 / 20reducing graphic don't resolve any problem it just getting worse. I tested roblox on my laptop and the fps low when running 5-10 minutes...
  4. Low Fps Problem

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Windows 10 - Low Fps problem

Windows 10 - Low Fps problem: So I used to have a blue screen problem with my laptop, so I bring my laptop to a computer shop near my house, the guy at the computer store reinstalled my windows and then the blue screen problem went away. But after that a low fps problem appears on all of my games, as an...
  6. windows 10 low fps

in Windows 10 Gaming
    windows 10 low fps: i just bought this laptop a year ago with i7 9750 ram 16 gb nvidia 1650 recently i play gta five smooth with 60 fps but suddenly its drop until below 30 does anyone know what is the problem i already try to format my laptop several times but still got low fps in every...
  7. Windows 10 - Low FPS problems???

Windows 10 - Low FPS problems???: I recently upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10. I had an issue with a large frame rate drop when if first upgraded but soon fund out I was missing a few updates that failed to install when upgrading which I then fixed. Today I started playing a few games and each game had...
  8. Windows 10 low FPS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 low FPS: Hello, I using windows 10 pro 64bit core i7, 2th 8cpus, 12gb ram 2ssd but I using window 7 play game 150-200fps - nor-high setting when I using window 10 pro game 40-50 fps. Why? I updated all driver, but nothing improves...
  9. Laptop - Low FPS Problem since I updated Windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Laptop - Low FPS Problem since I updated Windows 10: On Oct. 26, I updated Windows 10 and I thought it would be pretty harmless. Then, a few hours later, I tried to play Fortnite and my FPS dropped and became unstable. I thought that maybe it could only be Fortnite, so I tested Overwatch and Minecraft, but they all have FPS...
  10. Low gaming fps since Fall Creators update.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Low gaming fps since Fall Creators update.: what do you use to stream? shadowplay? if so.. turn it off and see how your game runs.